1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Retired men's life : Living in a pavilion

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Navaljee, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

I have heard a proverb. Think Before you speak and consult an old man before you write. So before I started writing this article I had tried to consult men and women above fifty. I can find many men. I am yet to hear from a lady above fifty.

Well. If our life is a curve, first rising and then falling, then we, the men and women in fifties, are on the wrong side of it—the slope side. And mind well, every slope is dangerous. Before two days I met one of my friends in garden, flinging his newly purchased stick. I asked him, ''How do you really feel? I mean you're 57. Tell me honestly.''

''Honestly, I feel like a newborn baby. I've got no hair, I have no teeth, and I just start crying without reason.'' That must be the trademark of this group of gentlemen and gentle women, not the crying in fact but speaking about everything with high profile anger. However you don’t need be extra talented for knowing your age. When the hair start thinning,teeth start falling, and the ladies start trusting you, then you have past fifty: take it granted.

I always keep phone diary. Pink colour. In our ancient immobile days (when there was no mobile phones), I sometimes forgot my money wallet, but never the tele-diary. You cannot call a friend with currency notes in your pocket. But you can manage borrowing, in case of need, if you have your friends’ numbers in hand. So still I keep a small diary, 1981 model. But its contents have drastically changed now. Before ten years there were names starting with Mr. or Mrs. and even Miss. (It was the time, yaar.) Now most of the diarised numbers are well qualified, but ending with MD and MBBS.

The plus fifty-ness is a plate, full of hard nuts. The real blows are on dining table. I hate remembering a doctor, especially when I am in front of a delicious plate. In fact I compare the pool of doctors with the airline companies: we give them business and they take us for a ride. Once I asked my doctor about the food I should be careful about. He said, “Put anything on your tongue, and if it tastes good, spit it out.”

The diet restrictions make me crazy. It has closed down all the sweet shops in the city. When such shop passes by the window of my car, I feel what Majanoo would have been feeling while Laila’s Barrat might be going away.

Another enemy is time. Passing the time is a grave management issue. As I have retired prematurely, I pass time in reading. Blogging is the latest disease I have acquired through Internet. I read too much. And hence I believe that I can help people by providing useful stock of advices. But no one asks for my advice. Every one, my young entrepreneur son, educated daughters, and my fixed-deposits-wealthy wife had passed the phase wherein they needed me. While at home, I feel like I am sitting on a municipal garbage container and the whole traffic goes on without looking at me.

Wise people say that, “Forgive, forget and be happy.” The forgiving is not my problem; people have forgiven me for whatever I had done in and out of my office premises. But the forgetting is the real foe. Today I was standing at the top of stairs, and I failed to remember whether I had come up or I was about to go down. The other day, I was sitting on the edge of my bed and I could not decide whether I was going to sleep or I had just woken up. “Do you remember it’s a pension day?” My life shot at me, and I recalled that it must be morning.

But for the men and women, if any, in fifties, there is nothing to worry about. For them I would cite the example of one of our evening-walk friends. Mr. Replacement, it is his nickname. He is a model man. He has got most of his body parts replaced. He has new cornea in left eye; a brand new knee fitted in right leg; and Ben Kingsly type denture. He charismatically wears golden frame glasses and a wig made from the hair of a black goat. And he is going to replace his heart’s valve, too. But the gentle man’s mind-machine is still in working condition, running condition at 83. Before twenty years his family doctor had told him to renounce the love for sugar and all other sugary things. He did not. Since then his three family doctors have died and he is not-out with all his replacements.

2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

Hi
    let me tell you how happy I am that you did find something to share with us in the IL space:).Hope that you like the welcome and stay back. It is actually sad to see someone feel bad about something and then take a decision to quit.
    And now about the write up,
    I will say that when I read all this here I know what is in store for me too. And what all I should do....I would follow your REPLACAMENT GUYBig Laugh.Thanks for letting us know about him. And yes I remember you asked all of us ...who were above fifty...but there were hardly anyone.:rotfl

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi Navaljee,

Sorry i am not above fifty with great difficulty i think i have crossed half of what u wanted, urrr i did not know after fifty life will be so bad u r fightening me. But Mr.Replacement has sent an example, will not forget him.Good survey done by u

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sir,
    you have described the happenings of retired life in a very humorous manner. that too passing the sweet shop like majnu is very nice!!! i am yet to come that stage you have described( though i am 60).:) nice post . anyway i will keep in mind the 'REPLACEMENT MAN" you mentioned.a nice post.
    with love
    pad.

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navaljee

Welcome back. Enjoyed reading your post. Very well written. I am above sixty, dont mind telling my correct age 65 yrs. After sixty you have to count as 5years , so I am ony 5 years now. By the Grace of God I dont have any health problems like Daibities etc.

I feel young at heart. Though I am above fifty by the grace of God, my teeth is ok, hair is ok though it is short and I dont cry simply. Only if something hurts be very badly I cry.. I have experienced many things in life good or bad.

i had worked for 38 years then took VRS. In the beginning for me it was difficult to pass my time. But now after joining IL its been a pleasure being here. Whatever thoughts come in my mind I write here and feel good being here. For ladies it is not difficult to pass their time, because they will have their house work also . So somehow or other time passes. But sometimes you feel lost, now since IL is there , there is no problem of being lost. The friends here are very encouraging.

I think this is the first fb from a women of sixty plus.

Regards
    viji

6. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

Navalji.....

Nice of you to share your feelings and thoughts ! I have in no way reached anywhere near fifty, but your post has had an impact on me, may be thinking not just for myself, but generally !!

I always feel , you are as young as you feel ! In Yoga, they say, 'you are as young as your spine', which is the pillar of the body ! And I see that you like /do yoga, so you shouldn't be feeling you are sliding downward on the slope ! I feel as we grow, experience /wisdom / vivekam / awareness etc, grows with us, so we should feel great about our growth that prepares us for the life after this world. So, I believe I would never have to look down a slope as I grow old ! Then there is the body, that is what makes us insecure at the later part of life. These days, that kind of insecurity can come at any age ! Physical ailments haven't spared me too !
    Time can be your enemy, if we dont make good use of it !!

Though personally, I feel younger than my age, I can understand the concerns of aging .

Enjoyed reading your post ! Your writing, on a serious topic of reality,( that we all have to face some day), with the touch of humour, is worthy of praise !
    cheers!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navalji,

My dear friend welcome back, and that too with a bang.what a uper duper blog, hilarious, as only u can write.

I have the honour of nominating it as my fourth and last blog for this month, and good i kept one nomination pending.

REgards

kamal

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navalji,
    It is nice to see you back. I am in my early seventies and never hesitated to tell my age if any one asked me. In IL I find that most of the senior citizens, ( both ladies and gents) are always revealing their true age. II feel really happy that youngsters are interacting with older generation and there is no generation gap here.
    I enjoyed reading your post after a long time.
    PS

9. Navaljee

Navaljee Senior IL'ite

Ms. Muzna

Thanks for liking the humorous article, especially the "Replacement Guy'.

10. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Navalji
    Nice post describing the problums of above ffifty but this is not always the picture All because of good health conscious plan people have shifted it to many years later.
    There are many positve sides also- after sixty in would say -mostly education & other responsibility of your kids are over & you are free to enjoy a retire life .
    No stress of being late or of so many work.
    After the responsibilties of family you may rekindle your affections with your spouse in a new manner walking together,Spending qulity time with each other .
    You can join many social activities ,reading gardening all for which previously you had no time.
    My FIL& MIL are above 92+ & still enjoys a good health ,Enjoy each others comapny & happy with their grandsons & daughters around them.
    You can see many such example shere in IL as PAadmini &viji Have told in their Fb.