1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The moon mission

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

THE MOON <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">MISSION</st1:place></st1:City>
    [This true story is inspired by Sabitha's article from the traveller's desk]

The year-1980.I am taking the aerial route from Hyderabad to Goa via Bombay as it was then called.I am carrying around 30 kgs of seedless grapes for my friends in Goa.I book the excess baggage in my colleague’s ticket upto Bombay.At Bombay airport, I start scouting for Goa passengers with less baggage so as to push my excess baggage free of charges.That was a time, when people unhesitatingly accepted excess baggage from fellow passengers and exchanged biscuits in trains.After intense scrutiny, I spot a 50 plus gentleman immaculately dressed in a white safari and carrying just an overnighter.What impresses me is his shock of curly hair tending to turn grey and thick military moustache trained upwards.I accost this gentleman standing in the queue for checking, explain my predicament and seek his help in accommodating the excess baggage.The gentleman asks me—Is it Anab-e-shahi or seedless.I reply-seedless.Do you collect the cost from your friends or is it free?I say it is a present from me to my friends.He hands over his ticket to me and I get into the queue with his baggage.We have adjoining seats in the flight and I am carrying the baggage slips.

After the flight takes off and when snacks are served the gentleman asks the airhostess for “a vomiting bag”..His nomenclature for the garbage disposal bag sends a shiver down my spine.I become alert andmove away slightly in my seat and look at my co passenger nervously.He takes the snacks served by the airhostess and neatly packs it in the garbage bag,supplied earlier.He turns towards me and tells me,”I always present these snacks to my driver who waits patiently for hours for my arrival”.I am relieved and just to pass time I ask him about his profession.He says “I have a shop in –“,mentions the name of a famous beach..”I sell snacks and soft drinks ,but between you and me,I peddle drugs.”Iam taken aback.Immediately I examine the baggage slips in my hand and try to remember the slip number for his baggage.I have visions of Policemen waiting at the <st1:place w:st="on">Goa</st1:place> airport and pushing me and the baggage into the police van while the gentleman goes scot-free.

Just to get over my fear,I ask him about the effect of drug,on a human being, as this is the first time I have a chance to be acquainted with a drug peddler.He says that” once you take drug you go to the moon and stay there for a couple ofdays.I then ask him what happens.”You come back”he says,: see whether everything is alright with the world and then once satisfied,take the drug and go back to the moon once again.”I am mesmerized by his imaginative explanation and with some hesitation I ask him whether he is also on drugs.He says,”No.like a moon scientist I don’t go to the moon but help people in their moon mission “.Emboldened, I ask him whether it is not wrong to peddle drugs.He says ,”I don’t go out of the way to entice people to drugs.but only meet the requirements of my clientele .If I don’t supply,they will go elsewhere. I am not here to sit on judgement whether taking drugs is good or bad”.I curse myself for having approached this man for saving a few hundred rupees and I feel like shifting to another seat immediately.

We land in Goa.I am relteved to see that a posse of policemen is not waiting for us.The gentleman picks up his baggage and says,”How did you like my story?”I get airsick and I don’t like bumpy flights.I tell a story and enjoy my travel watching the myriad emotions appearing in my copassenger’s face after hearing my story.”He hands me his business card which shows that he is the owner of a well known garment shop.I stand there dumbfounded and transfixed as my co passenger waves me good bye with a twinkle in his eye.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009

2. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

wow... too good & hilarious ...........very nice writeup :thumbsup

3. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

A great sigh of relief after reading the fag end. The old guy was smart enough to cook up a story to hide his emotions but not at the cost of other persons feelings. You are equally smart in giving the finishing touch.

Oops! what if that guy was a real drug peddler?:bang

4. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Dear Lakshminaryanan,

Nice write up , hilarious & a bit of suspense. You were made a fool at the end but i must say you were intelligent enough to cover up your emotions. The co-passenger will sure make a good story writer. I liked the foll lines of yours and just couldn't stop laughing

He says that” once you take drug you go to the moon and stay there for a couple ofdays.I then ask him what happens.”You come back”he says,: see whether everything is alright with the world and then once satisfied,take the drug and go back to the moon once again.

Revathi

5. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Lakshminarayan,
    Your 'Moon mission' sure was a thrilling one!!! I enjoyed the ride thoroughly!
    Love,
    Malathi

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear lakshmi,
    one moment i thought of a police, standing with handcuff, i started worrying what would you do? a great sigh of relief after reading the end. just to save few rupees, you were forced to undergo this turmoil!!!!from the begining he was playing with your emotions to make him easy. selfish man!!!
    thank god you were saved. but nowadays, no body will accept to do it because there may be drugs in the baggage!!! your narration was excellent.
    with love
    pad.

7. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Sir,

The title was very attractive so i eagerly read and u r a brilliant writer, i like the way u narrate. I was going through the emotions and thoughts while reading. Simply superb in the end.

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Lakshminarayan,

When you dropped a post that you have posted a write up inspired from my earlier post , I was all surprised and elated but after reading your post I am amazed that you come out as someone who can inspire others and I am just grateful that I have aided you in coming up with this beautiful account.

This is so true and you have phrased it very well.I loved reading your post and your encaptivating narrative style.I can imagine how jittery you must have felt during your journey and I was laughing by the time I finished reading.Sorry, but your co-passenger has very good tricks to pass time and you must be so relieved by the time you realized that he was playing pranks.Was there any candid camera to capture it ? Now with the mushrooming TV reality shows ,when things are extremely wierd the first thing that comes in my mind is 'Am I on TV'? :idea

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear LakshmiNarayan,

Enjoyed reading the writeup. A very nice one. I could imagine how embarrassed you would have been when you heard from him that he's a drug peddler. Quite hilarious too.

-Uma

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

UncleLakshmi
    Oru kalakku kalukureenga! Rhombha sandosham!:thumbsup
    I enjoyed the ride with you very much.. so much so that I held onto the seat wondering what was going to happen next.
    Sometimes these small incidents do keep us occupied so much so that we forget the pass of time!
    Do keep writing.. eagerly waiting to read more!:)