1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Barbara Millicent Roberts Turns 50…! Wish Her Happy B'Day!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AbhiSing, Mar 14, 2009.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

It was on my standard 7th that I first met Barbie. My new classmate turned friend who had returned to India from the US of A had brought it on the last day of the school term that year. And I fell in love with her(of course with Barbie) at first sight. (She still looks stunning at her 50th anniversary edition.) The whole day I was with her, changing her outfits and styling her hair. I can still imagine her even now, if I close my eyes. I parted with her that evening after making my friend to promise me that she would lend it to me for a day when the school opens for the next year.

After I came here to Singapore, my best past time is to look for the new ranges introduced in the shelves. I was sweetly surprised to see the Saree clad Indian Barbie. However I do not own one till day, despite repeated offer from DH to buy it for me whenever I stand still near the Barbie rack in the chain stores. (May be he is thinking in vain that if I got one for myself then I would not stand still, mesmerized by her beauty on each and every encounter) I never fail to update myself with the new pets, vehicles, companions and careers. Her careers are very interesting in all the fields ranging from a doctor , astronaut, President, cowgirl to the recent range of designer and hairdresser in 2008 :thumbsup. And while doing so, some interesting facts about her and the impacts of her on the society caught my attention.

*Mostly preteen and adolescent girls go through the Barbie syndrome where they crave to have a physique similar to Barbie. Though past her teens, Paris Hilton is a classic example of a typical case, I think.
    * Ken Syndrome affects men who try to look attractive like Barbie’s on and off Beau Ken Carson. (Read that they broke up in 2004 after 43 years of steady going and remain as friends…and some rumors that they are dating again! So much for imaginary relationship... yeh?)
    *And as usual is there a celebrity without controversies? It is said that the proportions of Barbie is destroying the confidence of the teens and they feel bad about their sizes.
    * In 2001 her competitor Bratz was introduced by MGM. (But personally….I was not taken away by Bratz as I am still besotted by Barbie after all these years ) And as a call of fate, Bratz was banned from end 2008.
    *As Barbie turns 50, this month, a bill was passed in West Virginia to ban the sale of Barbie dolls that influence the girls to be beautiful.
    *She was ranked 43rd, in the list of 101 most influential people who never lived. Santa was ranked no. 4, with Cinderella in the 26th, and Bond in the 51st places.

All said, Is there any woman in this universe who doesn’t like Barbie? When I think of my love for Barbie I am more attracted to her not by her physical appearance, but by the fact that she has wonderful wardrobe with suitable accessories, a best friend, a romantic boyfriend:thumbsup and above all she has daring careers that I could only ogle at.

Join me in wishing Many More Happy Returns of the Day to Barbie, my dear friends and share your Barbie dreams with me.:cheers

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
    sindmani likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijee

Many Many Happy Returns of the day to Barbie. Happy 50th Birthday to her. It is sad to know that they are going to stop selling Barbie dolls. It will be a great loss to Barbie lovers. I also like Barbie dolls very much and gift it to the children. But everyone cant buy Barbie dolls as they are very costly. I dont think anyone will be there who dont like Barbie dolls.
    Barbie must be very happy that someone has written about her.

love
    viji

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Vijee,

Yeah we celebrated Barbies bday too!! Shes been with me all through my growing years. As a kid I depended on the Barbie doll to amuse me till I was blessed with my Barbie doll( Neiv) in life.All my friends and relatives call Neiv , Barbie.:) And do love the Aqua number," Im a barbie girl".
    And now Neiv is obsessed with Barbie dolls. We do have fun filled Barbie parties at home.

Nice post Vijee. Enjoyed it!!

Love,
    Devika

4. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hey vijee,

Great post..! Even i have lived all my years dreaming about the barbie on the shop rack.. Am glad am not the only one doing that! :cheers

I do share your emotions on their looks...:) .. Especially the traditional attire like saree and chididhar.. looks wonderful on the barbie..

I adored the song "Am a barbie Girl..." It is a great doll and a great friend to any girl.. :cool2:
    As you said.. Paris Hilton with her Amazing blond hair is an example of teenage fans having Barbie fascination! I think "Girls Next Door" Casts also Hugh Hefner, Holly madison are also embodiments of Barbie Look Alikes!

Enjoyed your post Abhi... You can get a barbie for yourself.. Just that it would look odd if you brushed her head.. and feed her!!!

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Abhi,

What a tribute you have paid to Barbie on her 50th birthday !

Even I belong to that category of girls who can ogle at her for hours pressing my nose against the window to get a closer look.It is not her flawless complexion or physique which mesmerizes me but it is her personality oozing confidence and style that I adore.

Your compilation of interesting facts is very fascinating ,and I wasn't aware of Ken syndrome till date though Barbie syndrome would have voluminous publications.

Thanks a lot for posting such interesting snippet.Count me also in your 'Barbie Fan Club'.:thumbsup:thumbsup

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear viji,

very very interesting and different snippet..in fact i was wondering who it is as i know her only by her petname:)

i remember when we visited the U S of A my dd came back with a huge barbie collection.... (oh how she used to love brushing her golden strands and dressing her up)and i agree with you,she does seem to lead the perfect life:thumbsupthough there was quite a hue and cry about the havoc her figure was creating on teenagers....

quite a compilation of interesting info on every girls first best friend , that i was not aware of...hey does bratz come with furniture for childrens rooms too..i vaguely remember my niece wanting that set for her bedroom..(some two years back)

anyway for the rest of the day i am going to be singing aquas"im a barbie girl" ..for sure..

lovely snippet,vijee

love
    Mindi

7. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Oh Vijee,
    You brought back some lovely memories...I grew up playing with Barbie...My collection

included Myfirst Barbie,Doctor Barbie & Barbie Princess.I still remember the trendy outfits that she

wore & I used to collect it like anything...hmm gone are those days.I just adore her & still do

window shopping to keep me updated with the latest collections...

ammu

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji Amma,
    Happy to see you here in the celebrations.:cheers Thank you.
    And no they are not stopping the sale of Barbie, but a bill has passed by the Governor of that state , not to sell Barbie or any dolls that influence the girls to be too much image conscious. He himself doubts that this would change anything. Barbie still goes strong selling 3 in every second, around the world:wow

And as usual you have pointed out the practical point: very costly. I enjoy, giving the Barbies as gifts to little angels as Birthday gifts.

Yes barbie must be in cloud nine that IL celebrates her birthday. It was on 9th March to be exact. So a bit belated celebration I guess;-)

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

My dear DM,

Thank you so much and I really enjoyed your Barbie moments.

Blessed you are with your own Barbie Neiv. And I could imagine the fun filled Barbie parties...and how I wish I had a little Barbie too...God decided to give me a "Ken" instead.(Not that I am complaining) But believe me, he is a bit particular about his hairstyles and the colours matching of his pants and shirts even from now. Hmmm!

I too join you in singing " I am a Barbie"

Love to real Barbie and a hug to Barbie's mom!

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Abhi,

I suppose all love barbie dolls, i found it as excellent gift to give away. I like the attachments that comes along,the house , the wardrobe etc etc. Unfortunately i have a son, so barbie was out from his list, he used to love match box cars.
    Though my DH thought i was too old to play, he used to buy and give me and then i used to pass it off to my nieces.
    Agree Barbie did create a storm.
    Jaya