1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meaning of my name

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sigmabeta, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone,

As promised in my introduction post, I would like to share with all of you the meaning of my name.
    My full name is Syamanthaka and it has very often been mispronounced. People have called me "shamantaka", "chamaataka", "shyaamantha akka", "shaamonthika" (yeah i know there is just 1 vowel in my name, but they chose to introduce all others :crazy) etc. At home they shortened it to "syama" and when I give that, it gets distorted to "sham", "shyama", "sam", "seema", "kshama". I used to feel uncomfortable, sometimes angry with my parents for naming me in such a way that people chose to call me thus! But then I started reading the stories connected with my name, and started pondering on the meaning of my name. Now I dont feel so bad and I dont even care how others pronounce it :).
    I am not sure how many of you might have heard of "Syamanthaka mani" from the Mahabharata. Its a precious gem, a derivative of the Sun, gifted to Satrajit initially and ultimately becomes an ornament adorning Lord Krishna.
    I have realized that I am a precious gem to my parents, and I have become an ornament for Lord Krishna .. my husband's name is Balakrishnan, so this idea came to my mom :thumbsup.

Coming to the story of Syamanthaka mani, its quite a long story, and has one or two interlinked stories in it. I dont want to make this post a long one. But I would be happy to pen the story to those who would be interested to hear. Will post the story in my forthcoming posts.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Syama

Good to know about the meaning of your name. Thanks for sharing.

love
    viji

3. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ma'am. I will come back again and post the whole story sometime soon.

4. jyothyvarun

jyothyvarun New IL'ite

Syamanthaka mani is coming in Bhagavatham not in Mahabaharatham.Mahabharatham is small portion of Bhagavatham.

5. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for that information! I was not aware of that.

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sigma,
    as soon as i read your name i was wondering having such a nice and meaningful name why this girl has changed.but at the end you yourself has given the meaning of it. actually, it was owned by Jambhavan.you are not only agem to your parents but to all in IL community. enjoy your post.
    with love
    pad.

7. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Dear syama u have such a beautiful name, but i like ur avatar so sweet & cute dogy waging its tail ,and even till now i dont like my first name even it is very percious but not as urs.

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Syamanthaka,

You've such a lovely name! Knowing the meaning adds more beauty to it!

We are too eager to hear your story. Do post it at your convenience.

Cheers
    Krithika

9. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Padma ma'am, I am really honored.

Priya ma'am, thank you for the compliments. Whats the meaning of your name? Priya means beloved right?
    About my avatar, well I am really fond of doggies, and I admire all their qualities which we humans should learn a lot from.
    Sigmabeta stands for my initials - SB translated into Greek. S is Sigma and B is Beta :idea.

Krithika ma'am, thank you. Ya even I want to put in the story. I also want to mention about the interlinked story. It would be quite a long post.. but will sure do it asap.

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear Syama

I think you are a maths scholar..sigma & beta...

Good to know about the meaning of your name.