1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If I were a Butterfly...!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AbhiSing, Mar 13, 2009.

1. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Intersting topic..Tell me what made you write about the butterfly..

It is good to ask this question to our children so that they would grow with some ambition in life but not when the kids are very young. If asked they would just tell us what their parents have taught them or what their parents want them to be.

This reminds me of one of my friend in college. She was too good at economics and she used to simply adore the subject. She used to tell me that from her young age she was interested in teaching profession and when she completed her second year she had decided to teach the subject she adored the most. She got an offer for Asst professor's post from the college where she completed her masters. It was indeed a boon for her. She worked for almost 5 years and then had to resign the job as she was getting married. The only condition from the groom's side was that she had to resign and take care of her family and there was no necessity for her to work. Her parents somehow convinced her and got her married...At present she is leading a happy life on the personal front but her ambitions to achieve more and more in her field have come to a standstill..who's to be blamed for this?

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Padmini Amma

You are a queen too excelling in all the forums that I go through. Your knowledge and sportiveness amazes me. And you still dance...You are our own ILs dancing Queen PS.Bow. Thanks for calling me a butterfly and your lovely feedback.

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Sharada

Why I wanted to be a butterfly??. Well...my school was a bit far away from home and on the way was a small area without any buildings full of small plants and trees which also had many butterflies. On somedays..we would beg the rickshawman to let us walk for a short distance. After much hesitation, the dear oldman(I still remember his face but forgot his namebonk) would let us walk until the main road comes. During the walks we used to play catching the butterflies of different colours....and that was the period that I wanted to be a butterfly.

In your friend's case...I simply call it destiny and would not want to blame anybody since HE has his own plans and make us dance to HIS tunes. Don't forget that we always don't get what we wish but we only get what we need. This is my simple philosophy of life.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback sharada....

Now tell me...Since you have a dancing Queen MIL/aspired SIL...do you dance too?

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Viji:

Lovely topic!

Hmmm........ when i was young I wanted to be a teacher and then an airhostess, a botanist and then an engineer like my father and brother. I ended up doing my engineering but never worked in that field!! Ended up in the IT industry!

Now, I continue to dream about being this and that while being a homemaker and so the story continues.........:rotfl.

My DS when he was very young while playing with his Lego sets announced that he wanted to be a builder and then when Maths became his favourite subject - he wanted to be a mathematician and now that he loves sports, he wants to be tennis or golf player:)

My DD was asked this question when she met the head teacher of her new school and she said she wanted to be a scientist and immediately was asked to spell 'scientist' - she did spell it right but what she actually meant by scientist was 'doing research on dinosaurs' - I don't know how she made the connectionBig Laugh.

Oh, the lovely world of children.........

Sindhu

5. umakarthik

umakarthik New IL'ite

Hi Abhi,
    Interesting topic.You have opened a pandora box.It made me think on a serious note that parents often try to mould the child in such a way that they take up the profession which the parents feel is best for them(like a teacher feels that it is the best profession and moulds her daughter from childhood to take up that profession.I think this makes them very bad decision makers as they do what is expected of them and dont apply their mind to it.
    On a lighter note,I dream I could be ????which changes every week (fitness instructor,a hiker,a travel freak the list is endless!!!)