1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Stolen Car

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhiku, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

This incident happened when I was in 12<SUP>th</SUP> Grade, our school was all boys school until 10<SUP>th</SUP> Grade, after that it went co-ed. All the boys in our class were very looking forward to studying with the girls, teenage boys with raging hormones were waiting eagerly for the first day of school. The first year went in transition, initially there were conflicts and disappointments, we had seen too many love flicks and were expecting women to come running to us but that never happened. We came on too strong and the us versus them state of affairs prevailed the first year.

We buried the hatchet in the second year and there was peaceful co-existence, the die-hard romantics in us had not given up on the idea of falling in love and we did our best to impress the fairer sex. Looking back it was obvious that some of the girls used us and we probably knew it even then but did not care. All a girl had to do is to say I feel like having coffee during recess and we boys would climb the school wall and run a distance to bring her coffee from a restaurant.

Back then my family did not own a car but some of the boys in my class did, however they were too young to have a license and their parents would not let them take the car out alone. One exception was our friend Amish, he had devised a way of sneaking the car out of his house 2-3 times a week, his Dad had a habit of retiring to his room at 8 PM sharp. Around 9 we would push the small Fiat away from the house to safe distance before starting it and going for a joy ride. The arrangement worked well, we would go for a drive or movie, enjoy ice cream and late night snacks refuel the car and return it later that night.

Three girls from our class noticed that Amish had a car at his disposal and manipulated him in taking them for a movie twice a week, Amish was on cloud nine but we were sad, the car fit in 6 people, with three girls in the back and Amish as the driver it left room for two more boys. We started paying more attention to Amish’s needs than the girls and he too took full advantage of that, his homework was done by us, he extracted quite a bit of money from us for the favor. We could have joined them for movies later on but the fun was in riding with the girls and enjoying the drive after the movie.

Finally it was decided that he would rotate friends, the two friends that were left out would hang around the theatres and our arrangement worked out for a while. One evening my friend Sandip & I were the ones sitting out. We were at the ice cream shop waiting for our milkshakes completely ignorant of what was happening at Amish’s house.

Everyone knew about Amish’s Dad’s habit of retiring early and he never had visitors after 8 but that day out of the blue his friend from out of town paid him a visit around 9 and the first thing he did was inquire about his missing car. His Dad went in a panic mode, he knew high-ranking police officials quite well and informed them. Ours was a small town then and it did not take the police long to find the car. We saw police around the car and we panicked, well I panicked, Sandip the street smart, wise guy had a plan

Sandip “Hello”
    Police “This car belongs to the owner of XX Steel”
    Sandip “Yes, Mr. P is my father”
    I was shocked, I did not expect Sandip to be so cool
    Police “Where is your father?”
    Sandip “He is watching a movie inside, I was not allowed in so I am waiting for him outside”

The Police had a strange look on his face but went away, we were laughing our head off and went back to enjoying snacks but in 10 minutes time the Police returned with another man, he was dressed in plain clothes
    The man looked at the car and then looked at us, the police whispered something, the man looked at Sandip and asked “What is your name?”
    “Amish, Is there a problem Inspector?”
    The man appeared mad, he whispered something to the inspector
    “Son go home, we are from the Tax Bureau and we need to have some words with your father, there is a chance he might be arrested for tax evasion, this could get nasty, in fact let the police jeep drop you home”
    We were scared, on a cool night we were perspiring like we were in a desert, fortunately for us the police jeep dropped us at the corner of Amish’s house, we pretended to go in but ran to our house once the jeep left.

I couldn’t sleep that night thinking of Amish’s plight, I had not met his Dad but had heard that he had a short temper. The next morning Sandip and I went to school dying to get details from Amish, our friends or the girls. When we reached the assembly was about to start so we had to keep quiet but after the assembly we learned the truth about the previous night from Amish, the guy in plain clothes who we assumed to be the police was actually Amish’s father. Needless to say Amish got an earful for his actions and as a punishment he was made to sleep in his parents room for the rest of the year at 8PM.

We all breathed a sigh of relief when Amish informed us that his Dad had decided not to inform our parents about this. Initially we were scared and felt guilty and we sympathized with Amish’s condition but as time went by all of us, including Amish were able to laugh at this incident, the look on his Dad’s face when Sandip claimed to be his son was priceless. The year ended and we moved to bigger and better things, in the two years some of us did fall in love and one couple ended up getting married. Now we hardly are in touch but when we do meet we do talk about this incident.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear bhiku, nice incident narrated in anice manner. the way you described about the feelings of an adolscent boy simply ssssuuuupppeerrr! your friend thought he is smart. but boy, older people are smarter than you!!!!:). while reading the incident i cannot help but laughing at your plight. sorry.it is nice of your friend's dad not to inform your parents. if it had happened, what would be your position. i am visualising itand getting ahearty laugh. nicely presented.
    with love
    pad.

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Bhiku bhai,
    Enjoyed and can imagine the Amish father looking at Sandip and claiming to be Amish. These chori chori chupke chupke are the best part of growing up.

I remember once my son narrated a similar incident. He and his friends were staying in a rented house of Mr X. Mr X left an old junk in the house premises as he had no place to park in his house. He didn't leave the car key,butstill the boys used to start up the car playing with the ignition wires, will go about the town. One day they criss crossed Mr X in town while they were driving, the boys rushed back and parked the car & pretended nothing had happened. MR X moved the car and parked it in his house.

Boys are boys & they are always up to such tricks
    Jaya

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi bhikhu,

haha ,boys will be boys and nice to see the extent u all go to impress the girls....:)

sandip is a real cool guy..:thumbsup

actually i am back in touch with my school friends as i had posted and nowadays talking of only the good old naughty days.......very difficult to think of the now middle aged bald man in the alumni meet as the naughtiest boy in our class:)

Mindi

5. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Bhiku,

Interesting days narrated in a 'I-can't-move-my-eyes' way.
    I admire Sandip and You, for your cool attitude, even after the interrogation by the police.
    And the tension look on Amish's father.... Big Laugh

Though am laughing now, I can understand that perspiring night of you guys.
    :))

Wonderful write up Buddy !!

6. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Bhiku Bhayya,
    Had a nice laugh at the expense of your teenage flirtations!!!!
    Love,
    Malathi

7. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

:wowwhat a treat to read....enjoyed the narration...especially the priceless expression on amish father makes me rolling:rotfl
    what a fight to impress beautiful ladies...Drowning
    and sandeep is really a cool guy to handle the situation so tactfully....
    nice post...

8. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Hi Mindi
    Boys will push their luck to impress the girls and at that age there is no fear.

Yeah it would be funny to see a rebel all settled in life with wife and kids but I guess such is life :)

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhikubhaiya,

all yr sisters have loved this blog, as i too have done.Father and son face to face, Amish sleeping with his dad thru the year.HAHA

You are too much man, but u did not tell us, which of those girls u liked, and went around with, dont worry, kiran wont tell u anythings, bcs these happened before marriage , dear bhaiya.Big Laugh

Great one.HAHA.Regards

kamal

10. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

bhikubhai,
    this one is a post after my own heart ..naughty , rebellious to the core :)..
    wonder what tricks u played to patao Kiran ? make that into a write up some day na lol!
    jaijui