1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How would you react in this situation?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meVaidehi, Feb 12, 2009.

1. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

While working with NGOs I've come across many situations and got many different experiences. Some satisfying, exciting, thrilling, horrible, saddening, but a few really surprised me and made me think is this a part of our great society?
    Normally the mother child relationship in our society is like mother can do anything for child and son takes all the care for his mother. But this bond was different.
    We working on a street children repatriation project. We found one 8-9 years child who had run away from home as his mother used to beat him often and did not take proper care of him (as informed by the child). After counselling he agreed to go back to his home and stay there never leave home. So I went with him to his home. It was a 6 by 6 shed like others in that slum. He stayed there with his mother and siblings. His father had left them and married another woman.
    When we reached there his mother was out. I sent a neighbour's child to call her. She said she doesn't have time right now and come back afterwards. I waited for long time and she came back. She was not very happy to see us there and started shouting on me for bringing him home. She was frustrated by him as this wasn't the first time he had left home. He used to steal something from home or neighbours and run away and come back in a few days/months. So she was used to it and now fed up. She refused to take him back and asked me to take him away leave where you got him from.
    Tell me how would you have reacted in such situation. Consider this is the plain situation and we are not going to get more details of their relationship as they both had their sides. The child was fed up of the poverty and mother fed up of him.

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear vaidehi,
    What a wonderful job you have, always helping some one or other. May God bless you for that.
    Opinions may vary from person to person. You can't brand anything wrong or right.
    A set up in a family in abject poverty is different from normal homes. Every day is survival where at times emotions have no standing. I wouldn't dump the boy with his mother, rather put him in a good home and teach him some trade or education, but no circumstance i will speak ill of his mother. If can try to nurture love for her and leave the rest to Divine. What he needs now is love and guidance and education for his future.

Do not be disheartened by disappointment you are doing a noble job. I remember when i was dealing with down syndrome kids, the parents used to be ashamed of their child even in well to do home. But some parents were so good that they used to tell we are chosen by God to take care of challenged kids since others are not able to do son. It used to bring tears to my eyes.
    God bless you honey
    Jaya

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear vaidehi,
    very delicate issueto solve or tackle. the solution depends mainly on the feelings and emotions.in this case i feel poverty plays the main role. the families cannot make both ends meet. the boy shows his anger in this manner. i feel the mother being elder can be made realise the situation. if it is possible some steps can be taken to make their life to a better level. it is easy to say but will be difficult to implement. i know. but it is only asuggestion.
    with love
    pad.

4. meVaidehi

Thanks Jaya,
    I just try to make someone's life a bit better. I feel i've repaid something to the society which has given me so much. I didn't blame the child or his mother too both had their reasons behind their behavior but i was stunned by the situation and was clueless about how to deal with the situation now. I didn't dump the child neither did i curse the mother that it was her mistake not bringing him up properly. I let her calm down then sat with both of them and told her that we could enroll the child in some NGO where he can learn and stay. She liked the idea and i got him back after he promised if he gets to study and food he will leave all bad habits. He is studying at one NGO now.

1 person likes this.
  5. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vaidehi

you are doing a wonderful job, pat yourself on the back.

It was right decision to enroll the boy in a school. The mother is bitter due to poverty, the missing husband and so many mouths to feed. Once she sees the boy put some effort into studying or learning a trade, her attitude towards him might change.

All the Best.

Love

6. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear Vaidehi,
    This is heart rending.I feel very sad for the child,the boy.Can't put the entire blame on the mother also.Who should be blamed?God.
    love
    mythili

7. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear vaidehi
    Lovely name and work also.
    By imagination we cant put ourselves in those shoes as reality is very hard.
    This is dear poverty ! which made every relation changed.
    Thats why there are so many cases of parents selling their kids , Asking them & training for begging & many many more harsh works.
    The fault is on both sides & they need a lot of counciling for that.
    Dont be dishertened my dear!

8. meVaidehi

Thanks for your compliments and wishes dear Jaishree

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Vaidehi,
    You did a good job..your reaction to this situation is very very apt..:clapAs everybody pointed out..the reasons..I don't have anything to say..

sriniketan

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaidehi,

I had read this a long time ago but failed to write a fb till now.
    First of all, congrats on making it to the FP 'once again' this month!!
    The story of the boy and his mother sounds all too familiar. It is the same story everywhere in the world. When life is at its meanest, we get to see the dark side of humanity and the stark nakedness of emotions can be frightening.
    Let us hope that your intervention has helped this boy and the mother.

L, Kamla