1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Valentine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

My Valentine

I am too old to talk about Valentine, and these things.These are things for the youngsters to celebrate the particular day.

For me Harsha , my wife, is my Valentine.I know what is so great in this, everyone will say this, and that too on a public forum.But please don’t take this as an adulation, look at it my way please, and why I think so.

She has many qualities, that I admire.I am an easy going person, yes, but I am not that easy to live with.Strange ? Yes true.When we married, I was settled in Mumbai, working with Dad, and living with my parents and brothers.There was no imkling that withing the next few months we would be shifting to Jaipur .

Dad asked me, if I was keen to start out life on my own, my own business, and I agreed, and so did Harsha, but we did not knw the Tsunami that was to follow.We stayed in a rented house to start with here in Jaipur, with us as tenants on the First floor, and the basement of the building as our office.

For one year, the adjustment was very very tough.there was a lpower shortage for the whole year, and for the office we had to hire lanterns from someone 3 of them for 7/- a day, kerosene his, and I n that we and the staff worked in the basement.I lost a lot of weight bcs of this.

We had no telephone, and I applied in the OYT category, whereby u pay 8000 and get a priority, but for 2 years we did not have one.We had to go to make calls to Mumbai to my parents, to a kind Uncle’s home from where we had to book a demand call ( 4 times the normal price) like 32/- for 3 minutes.If that was not available, we had to make a lightening call for 108/- for 3 mins, as how long can u wait at someone’s house.

For one year I did not have a gas cylinder, applied, but not given.So Harsha had to cook on a kersosine stove for a year, and kerosene being in short supply, a friend used to get us a few beer bottles of Kerosine for somewhere, and then could Harsha cook the food.

Since business we new, we did not have a Car, I had bought a cycle for my staff, and I used it to move around on it for a few kms distance.Harsha and me used to travel in Autos.

So from having a Fiat car in Mumbai, gas ,Telephone, we had none of these for the first year in Jaipur, and it tested us like nobody’s business.But she bore all this, besides coming to a small town called jaipur , from a big city called Mumbai, with a smile, and was with me through thick and thin.

Radhika was born a year later in 81, the same day Infosys was born, and it was tough going .We had no maids, and she was a very irritable child, every child has their phases, and Harsha fed her for 1 year, as she wanted the baby to have healthy bones and a good health, changing nappies 20 times a night, and she used to tell me go sleep in the other room,so that yr sleep does not get disturbed.

Well pretty soon, after a year close to when Radhika was born, we had the Gas, telephone, a Scooter, and a second hand Fiat Car, and the pleasure and satisfaction that we got from these materialistic things, we have not got from our later aquistions in life.That is why we both don’t desire much in life, besides the basics, which we have.

She has been with me throught thick and thin, never a complaint, that u brought me to a small town from Mumbai, and with no amenities to which we were used to in Mumbai.And that was basic mind u, even then in Mumbai u could not boast that I have a Car, telephone and Gas in my house.You would have been lynched.

She had to adjust to the other vices of mine,that is I am not a religious person, nonveg,drinks, cards and other things.She and her family are very different.Small fireworks still exist, like when I unknowingly heat my nonveg in the veg frying pan, or use her plates.These sparks fly even today.

And the other day what touched me most was this.We were sitting over Tea, and she told me,Kamal now when Sita gets married, we wont buy new Jewellery, I want to give all that I have to her, as I don’t wear it anyway, and it is lying blocked in the lockers.I said, Harsha, we will buy her new ones, u need to wear Jewellery, when we go out for wedding, but she is adamant.

Ladies have a weakness for Jewellery, but she dosnt.It has been a good 10 years sonce I last bought her, and I have been telling her to buy some new designs for herself, but she refuses.

She does save this Sindhi Kanjoos a lot of money.

And what I read in the papers saddens me really.This Haryana case, where Chand Mohan, married the lawyer, and there was so much drama last month, and a few days back, when they have separated again.The girl is Fizaa I think.Was this love ? Or was this lust ? what is their valentine ? That day buy yr buea or partner a piece of jewellery a dress and treat her to a top Restaurant ? And as soon as the passion is over, u don’t want to see her again ?

I am an old fashioned person, my views are so different from the modern generation.I don’t know how to woo pretty women, and treat them, and buy them gifts.I don’t even buy Harsha anything on a valentine day, nor wish her.Its just another day in the office for us.

For me Everyday is a Valentine day, and for me, she is my Valentine for ever.This is a one way dialogue, and I take no guarantee for what she thinks of me.

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Just like you Kamalji. This is you, top to bottom, left to right, east to west, north to south. You are you and no one I know can be quite like you.

I admired the tale you had to share. I understood every bit of it, believe me. I understood it because you were telling me my own story and I asked myself how come this chap knows so much about us. There are differences in details of course and one major difference is that I had to suffer through it for 18 years. No respite for 18 long years. It changed me from a person who was fond of merry making to one who had forgotten to laugh or even smile. Even today, I rarely smile, even if I write humorous posts once in a while.

Then, by God's grace, life changed. I was allowed to start on human pursuits when I was 48 years old. By then I had seen the worst, yet I didn't lose faith in life. I didn't lose faith because of no other reason than the fact that my wife stood by me like the Rock of Gibraltar. She kept smiling when I did not know what the word meant. She has made me what I am today.

For me too, she is my Valentine everyday of my life, though we do not necessarily chat too much. One reason is of course that I am working almost conitnuously through the day. But another reason is that we don't need spoken words to communicate with each other.

Unlike you, once in a while I did buy her a Valentine gift. She enjoyed them just as much as she enjoyed the days when I could buy her nothing. She has never complained, she has borne it all with endless patience and humour.

I don't have to tell you all this. You already know. I can understand only too well why you are proud of your wife. I suppose, with or without ornaments, she is the most expensive piece of jewellery you possess.

Your post brought me happiness beyond measure.

oj

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear kamalji,
    i am honored if i am the first one to give u a fb on this..

first of all there is no age to talk about your valentine.....i hope u asked harshaji to read this....

lovely to hear about the love u share for each other... for once u have written about it seriously(now that u have won the fp for a serious post please do not stop being your usual funny self:)..i am kidding,i know even if u try you cannot change)..

and of course hats off to harshaji for having stood by you thru good and bad times.......she seems to be a very simple minded person....

have a great valentine day everyday:)

regards
    Mindi

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear KM ji,
    Iam seeing more the undercurrents than coochy coochy moochy moochy love in your post.
    Most self made man goes thro' what you have gone thro'. (in my case it is worse).Always there is woman behind a successful man & Harsha is the pillar. Lot of hardships are unspoken, you sail on & later wonder how you did it when it is over.
    I don't get any gifts from my husband for any D Day. There was one valentine day i received a bouquet of roses. I noted it was written "from Pat" (brief for Patmanathan)with no words saying i love my wife etc etc, but this buddhu (me) couldn't link it to him. I only thought of my friend Patricia (also called Pat and she had passed away).
    I was puzzled, & I rushed to my husband and said :pat died sometime ago, do you think it is from her husband"?
    I saw the sheepish grin in my DH's face. I asked him "what made you send flower,as it is not your norm". He said. " the florist forced me". The florist had told him "if you don't send ,i will send it under your name, free of cost". It was Izzat ka sawal.
    Anyway till todate iam yet to receive any flowers.
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, of all the Valentine's day threads. this is the best.

6. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamalji......

Nice to read about your valentine......and may God bless your love life a long life!!!
    If one's is true love, it is like whiskey or wine??!! "OLD IS GOLD"!! Hope I am right!!

Cheers to you and your all-time valentine!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji

Good post for valentine's day. You and Harsha are lucky to have each other. My husband also does not believe in giving gifts. As Srini has said in her post our presence is more than enough which is a great gift. I am just opposite to my husband and love giving surprises to close friends and relatives and expect also surprises.

with regards

viji

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

what a way u have put it, that Harsha is the most expensive piece of Jewellery i have.Wow, well said and very true.

And wonderful to read about u and yr wife.God bless u both.

and i can tell u this, this comment of yours is better than my blog.

thanks for the kind words, touched me a lot.

Regards

kamal

and i have not shown this post to Harsha, for reasons i dont know.Lets see

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

HAHA.You are the secione this time, but as good as the first.thank u.
    Harsha i have not told her of this post, she was here with me a minute back, but well i wont tell her about this.let me keep this a secret from her.
    Maybe this goes to her head yaar, so let this be between us.Big Laugh

I dont know why, my emotional and serious blogs are more popular than my funny ones, even on the other site.
    I smetimes feel i am like Mahesh Bhatt, who bares all his life in front of the public, i used to laugh at him at onme time.HAHA And now i have become like him.

Regards

kamal

10. labonisv

labonisv New IL'ite

Hi Kamalji,

Great post. Great valentine. Wish all of us should be a couple like you. We can make a better India and a better world.

Laboni