1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On this day I learnt ..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,
    This Sunday I talked to my parents and grandma to get their wishes on this day and before that I had started getting the wishes from our friends here in IL..:thumbsup
    Thanks Vahee who had started this thread, 2 days earlier.. :cheers
    Thank you all for the wishes and blessings bestowed upon me and my DH on our Wedding Anniversary...which is the need of the hour..
    Many :bowdownto the well-wishers...

Coming to the mainstream of this blog..
    I learnt two things in one day...(what a great achievement, isn't it!)
    It is better late than never..:crazy
    1. In Tamil, when they wish the married couples, they would say.."16um pettru peru vaazhvu vaazhanum.."..near translation would be.." let you both be bestowed 16 (types of)wealth..as we don't know the true meaning of those wealths, to put it in a humourous way, they meant having 16 children ..:eek:mg:because the word..pettru means delivery of children in Tamil..:hide: eventhough it has several meanings..
    When our ilite Iyerviji, wished me with those exact words.. I thought ok, let me know and make the world (?) understand :wink: what these types of wealth, to its true sense....and here I go with the types..which I got through the net..

FAME, KNOWLEDGE, COURAGE AND STRENGTH, VICTORY, GOOD CHILDREN, VALOR, GOLD, GEMS AND OTHER VALUABLES, GRAINS IN ABUNDANCE, HAPPINESS, BLISS, INTELLIGENCE, BEAUTY, HIGHER AIM, HIGH THINKING AND HIGHER MEDITATION, MORALITY AND ETHICS, GOOD HEALTH AND LONG LIFE..

2. The second thing that I learnt today..is the best gift for a wedding anniversary need not be any costly at all...JUST BEING THERE (mere presence) is best gift of all..and this is what you and I wish for too...I think you all agree with me in this...:hiya
    You must be wondering why only mere presence, what about if the other half is not understandable, or adjustable, etc, etc, etc...set aside those quality-lacking list for a day..and enjoy..only in his/her presence we can celebrate our Wedding Anniversary...am I right!:biggrin2:

You might be thinking why it took so long to discover this...if this quality is among the 16 wealths mentioned above, maybe I might have discovered it earlier..Big Laugh

sriniketan

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Wow Srini,

What a wonderful post..with so much to learn from..And you have written that with a cute lace of humour.:clap

Thanx for listing out the 16 "wealth"....hee hee I wasn't aware, though I knew it was not 16 children Big Laugh.
    (But I notice that if the couple of 'and' is not there in that list...it comes to more than 16 :hide:)

No wonder you are the Big B. Though you feel you have realised or learned something at later stages....you share it with us and make us aware of it immediatly:).

Loved this line of yours
    Wishing you that happiness always...Bye

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for that immediate fb Saraswathi..
    I too was wondering what those 16 wealths would be and came to the name only 8 wealths...so thought of going through the net to get the actual wealths..Big LaughThanks viji for invoking me to search for the same..
    I need something to write this week..so shared with you all immediately.:rotfl
    Thanks a lot for the wishes once again..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I admire the way you pick out the most appropriate topics for the occasion. Such a well-written post and a lot of research seems to have gone into it... for the 16 types of Wealth...

FAME, KNOWLEDGE, COURAGE AND STRENGTH, VICTORY, GOOD CHILDREN, VALOR, GOLD, GEMS AND OTHER VALUABLES, GRAINS IN ABUNDANCE, HAPPINESS, BLISS, INTELLIGENCE, BEAUTY, HIGHER AIM, HIGH THINKING AND HIGHER MEDITATION, MORALITY AND ETHICS, GOOD HEALTH AND LONG LIFE..

When A newly married couple came for our blessings, I also repeated this traditional blessing
    .."16um pettru peru vaazhvu vaazhanum..".

The bride blushed and the groom jested : Aunty, in this day and age-aa? Enna sollarel?

I told him he was free to interpret it as he chose, maybe' adopt' some children, not literally but look after their education, daily needs etc. by sending a fixed amount every month...
    Now I can list out the 16 types of wealth and spare a lot of blushes and embarassment! He He!

I liked the thought of one's mere presence being the best of all, truly a priceless gift...

"You must be wondering why only mere presence, what about if the other half is not understandable, or adjustable, etc, etc, etc...set aside those quality-lacking list for a day..and enjoy..only in his/her presence we can celebrate our Wedding Anniversary...am I right!"

Acceptance will lead to tolerance and this will lead to peace of mind and happiness, am I right, Sri dear?

Lovely message for everyone,

LnBBHs (Love and Great Big Bear Hugs to you),
    Padma

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan:

The part I quoted is the one I liked most. No, I am not wondering 'why only mere presence ...'. I am not wondering because I understand only too well what this presence means. It is the greatest treasure of all. Being together.

Wish you happiness for ever and ever.

oj

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My dear srini,

happy anniversary wishes to u though a little belated..thanks for the info..i too thought it meant hope u produce 16 children and used to wonder that the blessing had not changed to something appropriate for today's world:)

now this makes sense and u can bless anyone with the same for years to come as one cannot have enough of all these...

also liked your thought that the loved ones presence is the most imp thing(otherwise i feel ridiculous in even wishing one of them...) and that whatever the differences it has to be set aside...

a thoughtful post as usual from u..

love
    Mindi

7. dilens mom

dilens mom Senior IL'ite

dear bhargavi mam,
    nicely pened the 16 wealths,
    i dont understand why all are calling you big B. now i am clear.
    bye for the moment.

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sriniketan,
    May God Bless you with many more " Happy Anniversaries!"
    The presence of the beloved is the most precious gift that any one could ask for!
    Love,
    PS

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi Sis

Happy Anniversary to you once again. Some wishes you can convey only in tamil and some can be conveyed only in English.

A very good post. I am honoured that my blessings made you find out the meaning of the blessings and post this blog. The presence of the beloved is really the best gift.

I have nominated your post for finest post.

love
    viji

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sri a belated happy anniversary. And thanks for this great gift in the form of your thread.