1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Echo and Narcissus -- A Lesson from Mythology

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma:

The last bit was too good. Yes, you did avoid 'I' all through. Very clever indeed. I wonder though if we should also avoid the possessive pronoun 'my'. Poor, poor English language dear. If we keep decapitating her limbs this way, there will be so little left in her to be used in daily life. Her plight will be no different from Echo's? :)

oj-da

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

OJ-da!

Ha, Ha... did wonder about the 'my' though! Having a hearty laugh at the imagery, dismembering the English language till we are left with SMS-style terminology! God Help Us!

Padma

3. ojaantrik

Yes Padma dear!! It's a tough challenge isn't it? :cheers

Worth trying though!

oj-da

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oj-da,

Reading your compositions are like a lesson in itself!

I am all admiration for the varied topics you choose. It is a pleasure to delve into your thoughts through your writings.

This particular post is brimming with class, classy literature and classy painting. So much fine arts all packed into one small post. Lucky me (I ?!) indeed.:)

I love Greek mythology. Some read, some forgotten and much new to me. It was nice to brush up on Narcissus and Echo. There is a bit of both in most of us I feel...ahem...me feels!:hide:
    Coming late to read is always an advantage. Got to read the wonderful fbs from others too and enjoyed this thread immensely.

L, Kamla

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

OJ da,
    Hmm..this is how Echo came into effect...and also the beautiful flower too..
    but it is too sad to read the reason behind their names..

To remove the ego., we should practice not to use the "I"...very good and simple practice...should try on that idea..

sriniketan

6. ojaantrik

Dear Kamla:

It is always so good to read your comments. When you say
    I feel that you have hit the nail on the head. Don't get me wrong. I am not praising myself. What I am trying to tell you is that I have always struggled to be a human being and how can you be a human being if you don't try to absorb the rich variety of cultures spread across the world? I have always found it difficult to remain a frog in the well. Perhaps, despite my age, I have remained mentally young precisely because I try to keep on learning. Learning about the breathing world, the richness of its colours, the depth of its philosophies, the fascination of its languages. I keep shifting from one end of the spectrum to the other because I am lost in the variety that surrounds me. I am spellbound and I am lost.

Tagore had a poem in which he had said:
    I guess I feel the same way too. :)

oj-da

7. ojaantrik

Dear Sriniketan:

Yes, it is a simple practice, but awefully difficult to implement. Besides, as jaijui said, even if we succeed in avoiding the "I" in our speeches, are we sure that we have gotten rid of ego. It could still be lurking in some hidden recess of the mind. Who knows!! :hide:

All the best.

oj-da

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

One thing i must say, u are a very learned man here.

I did not know aboyt Echo and that narcassious or whatever, i know narcasius is a person who likes himself, i had read, this about Sushmita sen, that she has someone clickingpictures of her all the time.That is all i know of mythology an this is all news to me, never heard beyond Helon of Troy, i suppose that was greek, was it ?

I must come and sit with u, dear friend, for i have a lot to learn from u,much more than what any religious guru could teach me.

the only thing i can teach u, if i am cabable that is, is to how laugh, and throw away the worries.HAHA

And dont u ever try to learn anything from me OJ, or u too will become a tapori writer like me, and lose all the lovely grammer and English.

Lovely blog and i was fascinated really by what u wrote.Superb.

Regards

kamal

9. ojaantrik

Oh come on Kamalji, you make me blush!! None of us are all that learned. I am sure there are lots of things you know about which I have no idea at all. I am not willing to accept viewpoints that one person's knowledge is superior to another person's.

The most important thing is that we have found friendship. That's all that matters. Forget about the knowledge rubbish.

All the best.

oj