1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gift Ideas for Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhiku, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and the thought of buying the perfect gift for that special someone is making men sweat in this cold weather. Retail stores have manipulated this special day, like many other holidays to their advantage. These days this day is less about proposing or professing ones love and more about exchange of expensive gifts. My intention here is not to fight the system or educate couples but rather to help them – men in particular.

100 Women were asked to fill out a questionnaire; these women were from all walks of life – different race, age, education, etc. For women – 10 men were asked to participate, less men were used because all men think along the same lines, if you know one man you know them all.

Below are the findings to the study, the results are based on the study and does not in any way shape or form reflect my views.

Rules for Women

- The same gift or idea cannot be used the following year. If you surprised her with a bouquet of roses last year, you can buy her roses again but this time you have add in romantic dinner.

- The gift need not be expensive –Translation - it better be expensive

- The gift should be thoughtful; She should feel that a lot of thought went in the gift buying process.

- The gift should show your love for her, show that you really know her.

- If you commit the grave mistake of buying clothes – they better be the right size

- Everyday usage items are NOT considered a gift – do not even think of buying her a toaster, pots and pans, vacuum cleaner or new set of kitchen knifes (dangerous for more than one reason)

Rules for Men

- If he liked his gift last year – stick to it and use it for the next 10 years.

- Do not buy thoughtful gifts for him – he will freak out because he will think that you know him too well and maybe you can read his mind and now he can’t fantasize about other women.

- If you buy him clothes any size will do, if it is too big he will eat and drink his way in those clothes, if they are too small he will feel good knowing that you think he is that lean.

Gift Ideas for Women

- Roses, candy, romantic dinner, candles, art work, jewelry, perfumes, breakfast in bed, preparing a dinner for her, books, dancing, shoes, purse, one day of pampering, weekend getaway to a cozy bed and breakfast or a resort, movies (chick-flicks only), handwritten poems, a CD of her favorite songs, photo album of special memories, car, candle light dinner, gift certificate to get her nails or hair done, gift certificate to department stores, flattery, flattery of her parents – are safe bets

- Membership to the gym, a day at the spa and clothes – Highly risky and could back fire. Gym membership??? Oh so you think I am fat??? Beauty parlor?? What? I don’t look pretty enough for you? These clothes are way too big for me – you think I am that fat??

Gift Ideas for Men

Let me remind you again – this is based right out of the study so ladies please do not throw virtual rotten tomatoes my way – this is how men in general think – I can’t be held responsible for all of them.

Men only want two things, we don’t mind getting this every special holiday or everyday for that matter. Our gifts will not cost you anything, they are free and they require no preparation

- We want a gift - any gift, does not have to be thoughtful or anything. Every day use item will do like after shave, clothes, sporting good equipment or games.

- The second thing we yearn for is – Silence. Sometimes we just don’t want to talk, has nothing to do with not loving you or anything else but some days we just want to watch TV and go to sleep. On special days please refrain from asking us questions like
    “How was your day – What are you thinking about? Why are you so quiet? Do you love me? Do I look fat? Let us talk, Share some of your feelings – your secrets, desires and fears with me, etc”

Ladies: Your job is easy give him one or both of the things he likes, forget about buying him something, instead buy something nice for yourself with that money.

Men: You are no better off now than you were before this survey, buying gift is confusing and like navigating your way through a minefield but go ahead and try and if you get want you want on Valentine’s Day then you know you bought the right gift for her.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear BM,

Just like u to come up with a post to help us all out....and how well u know us..i thought u were an expert on only women?(expecting u to come up with a handbook soon) but thanks for letting us know what the guys want too...

u make us sound like real complicated creatures yaar and men so simple..but i have to admit it is true:)

and btw whats this with a new id and all..was wondering whether it is the same person till i saw the address and of course the writing had your chaap,haha

excellent post for those like me who think HUMOR is the BEST..I just began my day with this and am going to show dh so that he knows to pick up just the RIGHT thing for me...

Mindi

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Bhiku,
    You made my job easier for this Valentine's day. I just need to print and pass it to my DH and ofcourse this is not concocted by me, so i can explain that it is genuine.
    As for my DH i will give him "silence" though it is not easy.
    Enjoyed your post.
    Jaya

4. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Hi Mindi
    Thanks for the comment, glad you liked this, whether equipped with this or any other list a man is lost when shopping for gift, it is still as confusing.

Sorry for making you guys sound complicated but just stating the obvious :)

I am having trouble with my old account so came in with a new avatar - just new name, the content is still the same :)

5. Haasinii

Haasinii Bronze IL'ite

wow Bhiku sir

really very funny and true to most extent...oh!!!!! how well you were able to put both me and womens thoughts on gifts....very true indeed and hillarious tooo...couldnt stop laughing while reading the post..

6. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Jaya
    Thanks, yes you can give him silence but make sure it is not silent treatment - or else there will be more confusion :)

As far as this list goes - we are still lost because we are scared of picking the wrong thing but men are brave and do try (and fail).

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhikubhai,

Yaar i just love ry philopsophy.Simple and straight to the [point.Yes men just want those 3 letter word.HAHA

You are getting naughtier and uprove that u are Naughty Forty.

I am laughing still man, what a lovely blog.

Regards.kamal

8. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Hi Haasinii : Thanks, glad you liked this list, since you were not offended with this list I am assuming you agree with the contents :)

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhikubhai,

You may change your name, but we will find you bhai:))

I already have mentioned in my previous fb to you that you should start a manual for guys!! (http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...9-oh-no-not-another-mothers-4.html#post539192).
    Having said all that about Mother's Day, now you jump to Valentine's day and extend your advice to your sisters too!! Nice nice..!
    I am sure that wifey is a lucky lady, you seem to know all the tricks of the treade :)
    Your humor is infectious.

L, Kamla

10. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalbhai : What three words? I have changed and edited the blog haha so I am the one with clean mind and you have dirty thoughts haha