1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lohri &Pongal will go and Diwali &Navaratra will come

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Disclaimer :All characters in this are real and true to life, still existing & has no remote connection to frutification of imagination.

My name is Merbuk – that’s my family name- a Malaysian name. Just like most Malaysians, I too have anglicized my name to Zebra dove. I sing well , many have entered me in music competitions, but somehow stayed away from the thought of being a playback singer . We are friendly but yet cherish our privacy. So trying to bind me is not easy.

It was love at first sight for me. I first met him in a group,somehow something about him was drawing me towards him , while i noticed the glances he was casting at me. There was this animal magnetism in him & he was good dancer like Hrithik and Salman, also had Shaheed kapoor’s innocent looks and in music he was pot purri of Kunal, Shan, Sonu . No one in our group could resist him , but he paid attention to me , I knew iam not going to miss him. He swept me of my feet and I was flying.
    We had the whirlwind of romance , we went to seaside villas, went to expensive restaurants , we lived like there was no tomorrow. One of his favorite songs was “Adho antha paravai pole vazhyavendum, etho intha alaigal pole aadavendum-(must live like the bird and dance like the waves)”.We literally lived in the same way ,flying length and breadth of the country. I couldn’t imagine a life without him.
    One fine morning I knew I was pregnant. We were not married, we didn’t have any religion, we had no place of our own. As my due date was getting closer, he immediately went in search of place to stay & consoled me with his soft, staccato cooing notes. We finally found place not on the ground floor, some how he knew how to make me comfortable, furnished the pad ( prefer to call it nest) with bed made out of his own hands, all materials collected by himself. But somehow I knew he will be gone soon, though there was no indication clearly. It was a small nest, while the owner had a big portion to themselves. When we moved in the owner was least bothred about us. Slowly I noticed they started pausing in front of my nest and looking & peeping and were talking in hushed whispers. I was wondering how the human beings are so nosy, wouldn’t allow me to be in peace.
    On Dec 25,2008 , my pain was getting unbearable, I was in bed & my partner was bringing in the food for me. In the noon, I delivered two round must say rather oval shaped jewels. My two jewels needs the protection and warmth ,so I was keeping them warm, would only go out to eat. The owner of the house Jaya and her DH would stop , would dare to peep in if I am not around. For the next 18 days I had to keep my jewels warm, warming them from all corners, shielding them from the piercing eyes of the owner.. I knew I have to keep a vigil & allow my jewels to bloom and let them into the world, till then I have to be with them. I saw the owner bringing in the camera taking photo of my place, we had already decorated it well. I am bit camera shy, I used to move out when I hear the click sound.
    Well, It was 13<SUP>th</SUP> Jan 2009 , my jewel opened up and out came two little ones, I named them Lohri and Pongal in conjunction with the day. I fed them, occassionally go out, both are growing to be lovely ones. I used to sing “chanda hai tu,mera suraj hai tu”. They need so much of attention. I used to meet my partner occasionally, as while discussing he told me that some families in the human species after delivering, the babies are taken care by employed maids. Mothers are back into the hectic pace of life, going for parties. Well ! I told my partner that I will be with Lo and Po till they can fly away.

I know my lo and Pol will fly away, so let me teach them how to fly well and take care of themselves. Yes! Lohri and Pongal will go but I will again have Diwali & Navaratri. I really feel sorry for some human beings who still cling on to their children possesively who have left the nest. They just don’t understand love is setting the loved ones free.

Jan 25,2009 : The Lo & Po flew on to the tree near by , I am guiding and being with them, they will fly away for new adventure & I wish them well. I noticed Jaya & DH looking up to the tree trying to spot us and clicking here and there. I laughed and told them please move on in life ,do not hold on , if you love set everything free . Distantly I heard Jaya singing “Aval paranthu ponnale”(she flew away) & looking longingly at the empty nest.

Attached Files:

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jaya, brilliant!! I was wondering what Lohri and Pongal had to do with birds laying eggs and raising their young but you connected your title to the text beautifully. Also great photos.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear jaya,
    that was a great post,written from the birds point of view for a change.... i enjoyed it immensely....your disclaimer, the names for the young ones and the photos,all superb:thumbsup my friend....

do keep writing
    love
    Mindi

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

This is one beautiful piece. Absolutely loved your post. Loved the pics as well. Superb!!:thumbsup Fantastic :thumbsup

I had written something similar, regarding sparrows, again based on my personal experience, but in a poetic form. Im reproducing it here. For you :). We think alike na???:cheers

WHEN KIDS FLY AWAY

He picked a twig and showed to her,
    She looked like he did right,
    At last their lovely home was made,
    And they chirped in gay delight!

The lovely nest rested on my window,
    Her tiny tummy swelling in glee,
    Her mate doted on and never left her,
    His tiny kids he waited to see!

One fine morning many little chirps,
    Woke me up at early dawn,
    Nestled I saw were cute tiny mouths,
    The size of pebble, all grayish brown!

The parents seemed so proud today,
    As their beaks locked in love,
    They wanted to enjoy and chirp in gay,
    And thank the lord above!

He flew away and got some food,
    As she chirped a lovely song,
    She quietly calmed the hungry mouths,
    As he came with the food along!

They tended with so much love and care,
    And with each morn they did grow,
    Their eyes grew large as they saw around,
    And flapped their wings to show!

The mother taught them how to fly,
    To be brave and strong and not to fight,
    To chirp and sing as days went by,
    They learnt to live and do things right!

But alas! One day they all flew away,
    And never returned home,
    Yet the mother waited, in her empty nest,
    Prayed, kids don’t leave her alone!

But they never came and she was lone,
    With tears she sat on my window,
    She looked at the kids, who were at play,
    And thought about her own!

I tried to tell her “My dear sparrow,
    This happens with all of us,
    These kids too will leave tomorrow,
    When their needs are done by us!”

“That’s life and that’s how we all live,
    We love and then let go,
    When they grow they just move away,
    They have their life you know!”

And then the sparrow flew away,
    The pain was yet so strong,
    I looked at the window everyday,
    But then she never came along!

The grief when kids leave is so strong,
    That one can’t just let go,
    You too are a kid of someone,
    Hope you will never do so!!

Love,
    Devika

5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Jaya
    Wow what a connection...
    Reading the title was wondering what it was about in between there are still so many festivals on the way...haha
    It was something like suspense write up ........
    Nicely narrated and those pictures are just adorable ones.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Jaya

A Brilliant snippet here. Enjoyed each and every word.

Starting from the disclaimer to the small but meaningful song to the building of the pad to the photos.

Simply Superb.:thumbsup

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Balajee,
    Thanks for the fb , for the last one month we were focussing on the birds only, i have photos depicting every change. Due to space constraints i didn't many other lovely photos of Lo & Po.:)
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Thanks for the FB, appreciate it very much, somehow these two Lo & Po kept us occupied for the last one month. Now that it is gone we feel bit empty.
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Devika,
    Your poem is absolutely beautiful. I was afraid my post was getting longer, i always prefer not too long post to hold the attention of the reader. I started a poem ,but left it half way which iam appending for you.
    Among the trees
    Is a bird's nest,
    And in the nest
    Her two eggs rest.

And in each egg--
    Hush, you'll be heard!--
    There lies asleep
    Two tiny bird.

Lohri & Pongal
    Named after the day
    Bring joy and pleasure
    To all who treasure
    Somehow stopped with this. Thanks Devika for the fb
    Jaya

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Aruna,
    Thanks for the fb ,somehow these birds kept us occupied and i managed to collect a lot of photos depicting the growth.
    Appreciate your response
    Jaya