1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A dog named Chocolate

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jaijui0, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

A true story as narrated by Waman Ajoba
    It is often said that most of us don't retain any childhood memories before the age of three or four years .Not quite true.
    I have the most vivid memory of a particular episode when I was about two and a half years old.
    We lived in a beautiful town in Thane district . My parents wee most loving. We were very well off with many servants. No one even had a car. We travelled by tongas.Electricity arrived in our town when I was five years old.
    We had two dogs , Chocolate and Zenobia, most pampered , especially by my father.
    Being the only son I was very spoilt. One morning as my servant carried me out of my bathroon in a towel, I must have struggled because I slipped out of my servant's arms and hit my head on the stairs, splitting my forehead from eyebrows to hairline down to the bone .
    It was pandemonium . My parents and others rushed to me . I recall Chocolate barging through , standing over me, making the most pathetic sounds. He would not leave my side
    I remember being carried by my mother in a two horse tonga with my father beside us , with Chocolate who had jumped between my parents. He would not leave my side
    I think the local surgeon and hospital were closeby . I remember being taken to the operating room with Chocolate beside me. My father had to grab his collar and drag him down so he woud not enter the room
    The cholorform mask was placed on my face. The next thing I recall was I was lying in my little bed at home with Chocolate by my bedside .
    The other memory is rather tragic. Nobody loved animals more than my father . He treated the dogs like family and Chocolate in turn worshipped him. He was always a perfectly behaved dog. Always ate his dog food , never begged.
    One night while we were eating dinner at the table, who knows what got into Chocolate. He had already eaten but kept hovering at the table almost making a grab for the chicken .
    Never in my life had my father even scolded the dog . For the first time , he pointed his finger at Chocolate and said , " Chocolate, get out ."
    I remember Chocolate looking at my father , then bowing his head started walking out of the door. He must have walked a full 150 feet straight onto the road , because we heard a screech of tyres and a loud bump.
    We rushed out to see Chocolate on the road. As my father picked up his crushed body in his arms and carried him back home, his eyes were wet .
    He never finished his dinner. He told the servants and me and my mother that he would bury Chocolate himself.
    The next morning when I woke up , he had already left for work.
    No one ever knew where Chocolate was buried .

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

very much sad to hear the tale of chocolate..
    we also had a pet name Cocoa...and we lost him to cancer...we were heart broken for nearly a year and still remember him..often..
    Some memories never fade away for sure...irrespective of age, I suppose..

sriniketan

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    A very touching tale, some how pets get into our hearts and live there permanently. I suppose Chocolate was your guardian angel while you got hurt.
    We always had dogs with us , so i can understand your feelings
    May God bless you.
    Jaya

4. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear jaijuiO,
    That was a heart rending post.We are a dog loving family.We always had a pet dog till a couple of years ago.we decided not to have a pet at home anymore,due to so many reasons.
    Though I used to tell people that I was not a dog lover,I took care of our pets,I cared for them.When Peetu our pet dog died I was the one who cried the most and even now,10 years have passed by since his death,whenever I see anything black in colour(peetu was black)lying on the floor,I stop by with a start.I remember Peetu.
    Your post brought nostalgic memoris come rushing .
    love
    mithila kannan

5. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hi sriniketan,
    Thank u :)
    this is my 1st posting ..and u have encouraged me ..
    I cant say enough about dogs and their love and intelligence

Hi jaya,
    thank u appreciate ur comment .Ive had dogs all my life growing up ..and can 't do without them really

hello mithila,
    thank u for visiting and writing a nice commment ..Oh one never forgets a dog ..as a pet ..it only gives and gives ..without expectations

cheers ,
    jaijui

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaijui,

welcome to Indus Ladies, dear friend.I am glad u listened to me,and joined here.

Wodnerful post,so touching, u can touch even a dead man's heart.

Welcome to IL and i hope u have a great time here.

Just a suggestion, tyr and answer each comment seperately, so that the counts of yr comments go up.HAHA

And press the QUOTE on the comment, so that the comment too comes, along with yr reply.Simple and easy.

Regards.kamal

7. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Jaijui,

That was a touching tale about chocolate.

I could visualize, the pet, walking way with bowed head after being scolded by the master...Wonderful narration indeed.

Looking forward to more posts from you.

Bye

8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

I love dogs too. As I read through your post, I felt I could almost see Chocolate.

In fact you reminded me of Jack London' White Fang. The essential philosophy he preached was that a dog, treated like a human, turns pretty human. But the same dog, when ill treated, turns into a ferocious animal.

oj

9. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hi kamalji,
    thank u for good advice .I owe you one .will do as u say ..he he
    your obedient servant
    jaijui

10. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

[hi kamalji,
    thank u for good advice .I owe you one .will do as u say ..he he
    your obedient servant