1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Painful memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmavathiv, Dec 23, 2008.

1. padmavathiv

padmavathiv Senior IL'ite

This happened about 2 years back…It was a breezy evening ...Myself and my hubby were back from office a bit early…and feeling really bored…We decided to go out on a shopper spree with our son…First we headed to a famous shopping mall ..after having made all the purchases we came out…We were waiting near the entrance for my hubby , who had gone to get the car from the parking lot.. Suddenly my lil one started crying pointing to some thing..On inquiry he said ‘balloons’…I saw in the direction he showed and saw a small girl holding balloons…I was curious to know where she bought the balloons and approached her… she was almost my sons age..perhaps a few months younger…her frock was torn at several places..her hair dishevelled..she had what looked like dark patches all over her face and body…probably some skin problem I thought …but a closer look revealed that it was an accumulation of dirt …looked ages since she received a proper bath…and her running nose which she was frequently wiping with her hands..i realized that she was a roadside vendor selling balloons..her hands were too tiny and she was struggling to hold the balloons…I pulled out a 5 Rs note from my purse and before giving asked her ‘Balloon entha’( whats the cost of the balloon?)…hoping she would understand… one must be a mathematical genius to understand money at that tender age I thought …she stared at me and replied something in a childish blabber which I could not decipher..my son was getting impatient and I also saw my hubby coming from a distance..So I extended the rupee note to her..she took it and before I could realize what was happening gave the entire bunch of balloons..around 15 to my son and left the place..i was dazed…my son was rejoicing shouting ‘evvalo balloons ma’( wow…so many balloons)…By then my hubby had come…My eyes were desperately searching for the girl …she was nowhere to be seen…My heart was heavy , pounding…eyes had moistened.. We got into the car….suddenly I spotted the little angel standing behind an auto…I opened the door, seized the balloons from my son and was running like crazy towards the girl…I could hear protests from my hubby behind me…there she was standing…the 5 rs note still dangling in her hands…gasping for breath I approached her and gave back her bunch of balloons after taking just one..she was looking at me … the same beautiful eyes ..the same twinkle ..which made my son so adorable.. i wanted to give her more money ..but an impulse stopped me….some rogue who was exploiting this tender innocent bud would have a blast time if I made the blunder..i staggered my way to the car…my son was terribly disappointed to see only one balloon in mama’s hand…my hubby sensed what happened and to the ease the situation shouted excitedly where to drive next…By now I was emotionally drained out…replied in a feeble tone ‘Home…I am sick’ …On the way my hubby and son picked some sandwiches and we returned home..I went to the bathroom on the pretext of washing my face, cried to my hearts content and came out ..That moment it had a cathartic effect..

From the past two years, this scene of the small girl holding balloons keeps rolling in my mental eyes on and off…Yesterday I was reminded of this incident again when I had been to a mess near my office premises to get some food packed…Small kids of school going age were wiping the tables, carrying and washing heavy utensils and taking orders from customers..My heart bled…Going to school, playing are the greatest luxuries these kids could ever dream of…whereas a night without Air conditioner is unimaginable for my 6 year old.:hide:

Lord! Destiny’s play…its too painful , an unfathomable enigma, I am unable to forgive myself for being just a silent spectator …

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008

2. Mona Gupta

Mona Gupta Senior IL'ite

Dear Sis,

U r right..............there are so many streetchildren who are living this life infact their own parents send them to work.......its pity on our country....if every humanbeing just think little bit abt this problem atleast we can save these children.....education is very important, i m very sorry to say but here even on Forum i send 2 thread abt cherity and humanity not a single person answered or tried to show ya they are aware.....everybody is very busy in his/her own life....this is our modern life...

I m sorry if i offend sombody but this is the true we all r living only for ourselves.

3. padmavathiv

i agree with you mona...thanks for giving the first feedback...we all have raise above selfishness and do something for the society

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Hi Padmavathi,

After reading the write-up I felt as if I was there in the scene.....Whenevr I see these roadside kids, even I compare them my kid and feel very bad.Itz too mean and so inhuman on part of these guys who use them to beg for their own selfish motives.There shud be a strong law enforced to punish these people.They shud be hung in the middle of the road.

Whenevr I see these kids on the road I pray to god "God ! please spare these kids.Also do gimme a good health so that I wud be there to protect my kid till she grows upo take care of herself or till she finds a safe hand".

Regards,
    Bhuvana.

5. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padmavathi,

Such a heart rending account .... a real tear jerker indeed.

Read it right through without a single pause as your style of narration was very gripping too.Your graphic descriptions brought the whole scene to life before my eyes and I felt I could see the little waif of a dishevelled girl standing right before me with her bunch of balloons.

It is these experiences in life that really gives us rude jolts ....forcing us to shed our complacent attitudes and do something about such sad situations.

Little girls and boys , the street children as they are called present a sad tale of lost childhood innocence as they roam the streets in search of ways and means of sheer survival.Some fall by the way side while a fortunate few make good and progress in life to some state of being called achievers in spite of odds.The ones who have the good fortune of mastering the three R's by having access to education alone succeed .

Beautiful piece depicting the abject poverty that we see many a time around us but are clueless as to how we can alleviate it......shows our helplessness but enables us to count our blessings and say a silent prayer.

Immensely thought provoking .......deserves an FP nomination !!

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Padma,

What a thought provoking post . Yes!! sad state of affairs Padma.

People have no time for anyone else except themselves. Yes it is a selfish world. One doesnt look beyond oneself.

There are quite a few who do come forward but with certain ulterior motives and for publicity. An unconditional pure approach, An altruistic person, a philanthropist is a rarity these days.

Nice one Padma.An you are indeed a good writer.:thumbsup

Love,
    Devika

7. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Beautifully written but so true. As mothers we tend to take each child to heart, regardless of who they are. So many children are in such circumstances these days. The most some of us could do is to pray for them.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Padma,
    It is painful to see those little buds out there..
    Comparing them with our own kids.,tells us how lucky we/kids are..
    Eventhough there is law on Child Labour...do you think anybody follows..

sriniketan

9. padmavathiv

i agree bhuvana..only such incidents make us realize how lucky we are

10. padmavathiv

Thanks Paulina for the FB...i really wish i could do something at least in a small way to change the situation ...I liked your style of replying...so much weight in each word written...great