1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chakravyuha

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

The Chakravyuha (or Padmavyuha) is an army formation mentioned in the Hindu epic Mahabharata. It is a seven-tier defensive spiral formation that is likened to a chariot wheel, it was used by Dronacharya, commander-in-chief of the Kaurava army. As we are all aware, Arjuna’s son Abhimanyu knew how to penetrate the Chakravyuha but did but not how to exit from it.
    How many such Chakravyuhas do we enter in our lives without knowing how to extricate ourselves from the maze?

Our mind is a Chakravyuha of endless thoughts that go on and on despite our best efforts to bring it under control. The idle chatter continues ceaselessly, one thought leads to another, worries about the future torment us or memories of past actions haunt us. The ‘I could have’, ‘I should have’, ‘if only’ are really irrelevant …….

Let us learn to live in the present and enjoy every moment of it. I quote from ‘The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam’ (Dad dearest presented me with a copy on my 7<SUP>th</SUP> birthday)
    “The Moving Finger writes: and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

“Were it not Folly, Spider-like to spin
    The Thread of present Life away to win --
    What? for ourselves, who know not if we shall
    Breathe out the very Breath we now breathe in!”

Life is a Chakravyuha of seeking happiness in the outside world. It is a series of endless desires, from getting a lucrative job to owning a mansion and a Merc or a BMW. When one ambition is fulfilled, the mind targets the next peak to conquer. And so it continues, the search fot this elusive happiness ends in a cul-de-sac at every turn. Sages and Enlightened masters advise us to seek for the Bliss that exists within us.

I sometimes feel that terrorists are sucked into the vortex of a Chakravyuha from which there is no escape. This is nothing but a controlled, systematic indoctrination into believing that mindless destruction of lives and property will strike fear into the hearts of a nation. Death is the only logical end to the Jihadis.

The Chakravyuha formation is akin to the seven chakras or energy levels in our body. My Guruji’s words come to mind “A human body is made up of many energy layers. Just like we peel an onion layer by layer and discover that it is empty inside, when we peel the layers of our individual identity, we will find that the emptiness inside (the loss of our individual identity) is the Collective Consciousness that we call the Divine’”

To end on a humorous note, one Chakravyuha that I love to rush into and have no desire to exit in a hurry is the Indus Ladies Forum!

Padma Srinivas

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear padma mam...

What a wonderful writeup about chakravyuha... i know only about the mahabharat ... wow great i dont know to write like but i enjoy reading .. you have aptly compared to life, terrorism etc... very nice...
    your guriji's words was very true.... excellent writeup...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Padma ma'am,
    At first and till now I am caught in the Chakravyuha of your writings and not able to come out and give a feedback..
    Nicely explained the chakravuhas of the terrorists and of innocent people too..it is worth pondering on it..:thumbsup
    Your Guruji's words are :bowdown worthy..and how right.
    No wonder you are gifted at the age of 7 the Ommar Khayyam 's piece.

I also join in the Chakravyuha in IL, what say!

sriniketan

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Padma Madam,

Nice to read your words about Chakravyuhas ... enjoyed ! Very well written....

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Padma
    As always a wonderful and sweet treat from you my friend:) Loved reading your words through which your knowledge shines forth. A pleasant and pleasing experience reading this blog of yours.

6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Padma,
    I enjoyed "search within" , i strongly believe in it. For ordinary mortals like us it is not easy as outside force is too much,but it can be done. Once we are able to find happiness within us and not in external factors it is lasting and "sat chit anand" only.
    Ah ! chakras ! well said padma ! another subject i enjoy talking about. Our birth in this world is meant for union with Divine (which iam not sure when it will materialise ,may need a lot of birth) . As you aptly said , we need to peel layers after layers , with the blessings of a true Guru , we can see some light.
    May God bless you
    Jaya

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    A profound thread indeed!
    Your Guruji's words reminded me of what Eckhart had said:
    "A man has many skins in himself, covering the depths of his heart. Man knows so many things; he does not know himself. Why, thirty or forty skins or hides, just like an ox's or bear's, so thick and hard, cover the soul. Go into your own ground and learn to know yourself there."

What we seek outside of us, being bound by Time, cannot give us everlasting happiness but what is within, being eternal, that alone can give us everlasting peace and happiness.

I am amazed at your drawing a parallel between Chakravyuha and our misadventures in life!
    A very well written piece, Padma
    Sri

8. Padmasrinivas

Dear Vahee,

The first one to send FB, thanks a lot for the nice way you worded your appreciation,
    it is unique!

Padma

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear Sriniketan,

I'm honoured that have been caught up in my Chakravyuha, the best compliment I could get!

At age 7, I did not understand all the underlying connotations of Omar Khayyam but my father, my first Guru, explained to me my favourite lines "The moving finger..." and I had such the vivid imagination of the very young, I could really picture the hand as it wrote on a blank page, when I told my parents, they burst out laughing ....

The IL Chakravyuha is very intoxicating, all ILites would like to be inside it forever!

Thanks Sriniketan,

Padma

10. Padmasrinivas

Dear Gowri,

Thanks for your sweet words about enjoying the Chakravyuhas!

Padma