1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The effects and lateral impact..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by dhivya rangarajan, Nov 30, 2008.

1. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

The siege in Mumbai, which lasted for almost 3 days called for army action, is not any ordinary attack.

A totally pre-planned and massively ingenious terrorist attack, this is first of its kind. India has seen so many terrorist attacks. All have been bombs blown in public places, markets, chat corners where the victims were mostly insignificantly known common man. The terror was spread in terms of public insecurity, feelings of agony, and the numbers dead. But this time, apart from the public points of attack, the terrorists chose 2 star hotels - why?

These 2 hotels were the staying point for almost 85% foreigners and some significant rich Indian businessmen, actors, and corporates.British and American nationals were targeted. This was planned to shake the government and make it answerable to the world. Some ladies here in Malspie's thread rightly pointed out that this was the first time, an Indian terrorist attack was closely watched and aired throughout the world, especially in U.S and here in the U.K. That seems to be the whole point for the attacks! This was the main motive -
    TO MAKE INDIA LOOK LIKE AN UNSAFE PLACE,
    UNSAFE TO SHAKE HANDS WITH,
    HAVE BUSINESS INVESTMENTS IN,
    and even NOT A TOP-OF-LIST TOURIST DESTINATION.

These impacts will slow down financial wheels for an year at the least.

The attacks had combined targets - to shake the government and to scare the public. The gunmen in CST, Cafe Leopold and Nariman Business Centre fired guns on so many people, took time to recharge rifles and went on a slaughter spree. This was for the common man. To be gripped with insecurity and fear.

One more notable things was that, none of the terrorists WORE MASKS OR COVERED IDENTITY. This could mean only one thing - they dint care! It was more like a suicide attack. None of them wanted to carry on after the attack and that can be the only reason for this. Also, in an hostage situation, the captivators generally demand, and that is what hostages are maintained. But here, we all know, there were no demands. It was not a hostage situation at all. It was a attack, prolonged to the maximum possible stretch.

Intelligence reports leaks that there was indeed prior intelligence information of the attacks and lethargy and lack of pro activeness from the govt. machinery has led to this situation. I seriously am worried about the number of such incidents the govt., will need to get proactive. And in the mean time, its the poor common man who has to go through the brunt of terrorism :(

But after all this, there is one thing that makes my hair raise - the terrorists want fear in the oublic and there are our brothers and sisters shouting out VANDE MATARAM!!! That is a spirit I am very very very proud of and hope I will too have that when Iam a situation like that. Sure BOMBAY will bounce back - but why out that to test?

This attack is projected as India's 9/11. But I really doubt if India will react to this as U.S did to its 9/11?! This is a time when the whole globe is watching us, our reaction to this, and as usual if, the centre starts holding talks - then that is the worst way this can turn out to be. U.S is busy with revival plans, and Obama is still new - so U.S is not going to rush to Pak with ammunations. U.K is in full support of India. I say, ladies, this is the time, we go for some weeding out business, and prove ISI not to mess around. Think of the amount of inactiveness and lack of getting back power - ISI has the guts to actually say that they want to help in solving this and so will send officials to help Indian intelligence - bull crap. We have so dumb in the past that this crap is thrown at us! This seriously infuriates me.

Of all this, if there is someone to really pity, its our army, NSG and black cats. For all the lethargy of the govt. machinery they face the bullets and fight in the front. For all that, those men knew about this months before and just that the govt. chose no to pro act, they are martyrs now. Its a shame they weren't given bullet proofs.

Ladies, I could be wrong in my assumptions, please, correct me. There are moments I am proud of my country, but, sometimes, I am drowned in hopelessness at the future.
    Bounce back Bombay.
    My sincere prayers, goes for each and every one of the victims and people there.
    Jai hind.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

well written dhivya,and at the risk of sounding like a LOSER, i can only sadly agree with you and nod my head in assent...my prayers too with all the innocent victims and those who bravely laid down their lives...
    Mindi

3. dhivya rangarajan

Thank you Mindi. Its such an irony. I just cannot imagine a solution - thats the worst part.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dhivya
    You have written so extraordinarily well .. I have read your article/blog with so much interest and am amzed at the order in which you narrate.
    Well said about the whole sad incident. Every word you have written rings true.
    Your line about this being the 9/11 of India is absolutely right. But will India react in the same way to 9/11 is the right question for which I fear the answer is NO.
    Our country is aging and has taken too many hits over the ages and sadly each hit can only slow our growth and impede our survival and frustrate our success and setback us again.
    Terrorism is very unfortunate and sad and a tragedy for the human spirit. When an individual fails to rise against an act of corruption or abuse witnessed on another fellow human, collectively we shall fail as our human spirit is degenerated due to abuse over the years to our psyhic.
    One individual will not have the solution per se but one can make a difference by standing up to what one believes in.
    Then maybe collectively we can as a global force stand up against terrorism. Till such time it is anybody's guess as to the end result.
    You have written really well.. do keep writing.

5. dhivya rangarajan

Thanks AC.. It feels good to know my writing is good.:)

Yeah the answer is NO, its clearly a NO. Thats the worst part of the whole thing. The whole crap of non - violence, ahimsa, has made us into something!

In Mals' thread, there was a line someone wrote from Hindu - Learn from Israel, the nation that never sleeps, how to be alive when you're surrounded by people who deny you your nationhood.

It is affecting me AC.

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hello Divya,

First of all a wonderful write-up.Your writing skills are applaudable.
    I am sick with the media and the reaction of public towards the politicians, petty recriminations and carping.Why are we cribbing about their rule now ? "Politicians are not protecting us with tax payer money".I was surprised with this statement..well wondering what was everyone expecting for these inept people ?

If someone is responsible then it is only the common man who is indifferent to a lot of things around him and once in a blue moon is enraged with events and again is lulled back into his slumber.

If tomorrow the government pleads us to join in the army how many of us would go leaving our comfy homes and cosy lives ? Oh yeah ,I can complain for hours , blog for days and deride for years but taking action is something I am not used to.At the end of the day all that matters to me is 'I am safe'.With this attitude where are we heading ?

As AC rightly pointed out,
    "When an individual fails to rise against an act of corruption or abuse witnessed on another fellow human, collectively we shall fail as our human spirit is degenerated due to abuse over the years to our psyhic.One individual will not have the solution per se but one can make a difference by standing up to what one believes in."

How many of us can say no to corruption because we can afford it , say no to violence because we feel safe being domesticated, say no to wrong doing when we are threatened.We cringe, cower and finally concede to the demands.If we need to fight, then we need to against the fear we have within ourselves.We succumb to atrocities owing to our own lack of defiance.We don't stand against iniquity owing to our own insecurities.

Be it terrrorism or goondasim all of them have succeeded in wreaking terror only because we let them happen.

Do we understand democracy ? We had problems with monarchy , rooted out colonism and now fighting against the much talked about democracy.We either don't understand the principles of governance or incapable of being self governed.

Divya as you quoted,
    "TO MAKE INDIA LOOK LIKE AN UNSAFE PLACE,
    UNSAFE TO SHAKE HANDS WITH,
    HAVE BUSINESS INVESTMENTS IN,
    and even NOT A TOP-OF-LIST TOURIST DESTINATION"

Well and we are very much letting it happen engulfed with fear.I keep hearing comments from everyone in TV, 'I am so scared to walk in Mumbai now'.So , have these terrorists succeeded in their mission.Looks like they have coz I don't see anyone saying..we are not scared no matter how much you try to shake us.We fear for our lives , the lives of our loved ones and are ready to make selfish but not selfless sacrifices to protect ourselves.So I don't think there is much to do apart from ranting.Even I am one among the millions of Indians living worldwide who is responsible for the state of affairs in our nation today.

7. dhivya rangarajan

Sabitha,

Thank you for those great fb on my writing - i am dangerously so pleased with myself. :O :)

But I felt so bowled over by your pointing out the inability of the common man - me included- to own up and take responsibility. I could be a loser - but I dint have it in me to own up. Thank you Sabitha for doing so and thereby making me feel so too! yes, I am responsible too :(

Yes, AC words - so damn true!

But, where lies the solution?! I am still hopeless.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dhivya,
    Nice write-up echoing many of our thoughts on this siege..
    The common man should be educated regarding these kinds of atrocities..and help him to differentiate the bad elements...
    Came to know that some fishermen saw these guys coming from the sea..
    they asked them who they are...and I think they didn't answer the fishermen.. I am not blaming those fishermen..what I am saying is educate the public and let them know whom and where to contact when such unusual things happen around them..
    No use of depending on the Govt.
    I am :bowdown to those army commandos..who helped the situation come under control.

sriniketan

9. dhivya rangarajan

Yes Sriniketan,

The terrorists could have been nailed at that entry point itself. Yes, you have pointed a valuable thought - educating the common man. That could have avoided a lot of this mishap. :(

And thank you v.much for fb on my write up :)

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dhivya,

That was a very well written venting of your feelings on the recent tragedy in Mumbai.
    The attack was nothing less than war. Terrorists are showing their ugly handwork and it was well planned and carried out atrocity on their part. But then, they always do. They do not seem to have any other life apart from planning and spreading fear and terror around the world. That they have not made any demands only goes to show that they do not look beyond terrorising.
    That those young boys who killed and attacked did not even bother to hide their identities is an insight into their minds. They know not any different. They must have been raised and trained Only to kill and die for their so call Jihad. A special breed of animals. I wonder if they even know the true meaning of jihad!
    If common people like you and me can see this, I really hope and pray that those who are in power will not be so dumb and blind.
    Already the blame game has started. It will sicken anyone. But I am hoping that someone, hopefully more than one, will emerge and drill some understanding and action into the sleeping minds.
    As long as Dhivyas, Vmurs, Malspies and so many other fine people are around giving voice to their frustrations, anger and disappointments, I believe we will have hope to fight it till the evil perishes.
    I happen to watch on CNN just a few minutes ago about Obama's appointment of his cabinet members and the terror in Mumbai was addressed and he promises every support to the Indian Govt.
    Like you say, now is the time that India should act and act well.
    I am optimistic. If Malspie can go to work on the day of attack and return, if Mumbaikars have come through the past calamities with confidence, they will come through this even more stronger and so will our nation.
    For one, let's all pray towards that.

As a small aside, yes, this post of your's has been nominated for the FP of the month by no less than Cheeinya and congratulations on that!

L, Kamla

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008