1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rukku’s Diwali

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Oct 31, 2008.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Rukku was sitting among her friends, looking at them and listening to their conversation with wide eyes and keen concentration.Vasanthi, who was an year elder to Rukku,Kalyani, Vasanthi’s elder sister and Sachu alias Saraswathi Rukku’s friend and class mate were sitting in the thinnai of their sprawling building.

It was the day before Diwali and the girls were describing their new dresses and how beautiful the dresses looked, with each other.In those days,the late 1950s In TamilNadu,all the girls wore only pavadai ,chattai and ofcourse Dhavanai when they attained age,dhavani being the half saree.Well to do girls wore pure silk pavadais and chattais and matching dhavanis,a long chain with pendants and jimikkis.They looked so beautiful.Rukku was hardly ten years old ,she could wear pavadai and chattai.
    Vasanthi said,”I told my mother that I want red, chilli colour pattu pavadai.My mother first said,”Let me see”.But she bought it all the same.Do you know the pavadai looks so beautiful,Iam waiting to wear it”.
    Kalyani said with a sober expression as befitted a grown up girl,”Now a days,Iam not so much interested in wearing new clothes for Diwali.But my father,you know,he did not listen to me.He has bought a mango colour pattu pavadai and a rose colour dhavani for me”.In those days, my dear,many girls wore what combination of pavadai and dhavani they liked and they never bothered about matching colours.
    Sachu,Rukku’s friend giggled.She always giggled whether she said something or she listened to somebody saying something.She said,”My elder sister has sent me a velvet pavadai and chattai. The pavadai and chattai have jigina work done on themThey look so beautiful.”She turned to Rukku and said,”Rukku,will you come to my house now?.I will show you my new dress”.
    Rukku nodded her head.Suddenly the girls remembered the presence of Rukku amidst them.Kalyani asked Rukku,”What has your brother bought for you Rukku?”
    The other girls looked at her ,waiting for her answer.Rukku said to them with a solemn expression,”Don’t you know,our family won’t celebrate Diwali this year.My father died some months back,you know.We are not supposed to celebrate Diwali.”

Kalyani said,”It is not that ,my dear.Poor thing, your elder brother ,he does not earn that much you know,that’s why your mother could not get you new pavadai.Does not matter ,dear ,may be next year you will get new pavadai for Deepavali”.Children can be cruel to each without knowing the pain they inflict on others.
    Rukku’s face became red.No,she did not cry.She was made of a sterner stuff.She said,”Who said that my brother does not earn enough?My brother can get me whatever I want,do you know?I just have to tell him to get me a new pavadai ,that’s all, he will get me a beautiful pavadai,do you know that?”
    “Oh..,then why don’t you go and tell your brother to get you a new pavadai,for Deepavali my dear,by the way Deepavali is tomorrow morning,do you know that?”Kalyani imitated Rukku’s voice and all the girls disappeared.

Rukku got down from the thinnai ,went and stood near the main gate of the building to see if her brother was returning home,he went out in the morning.
    Sundararajan,her elder brother who doted on his younger sis ter had all along been sitting on the terrace and watching the conversation that was taking place between the young girls.When his little sister said,”Whatever I ask,my brother will get it for me”he choked with emotion,when Kalyani teased her, his eyes moitened.When he saw his sister waiting near the gate looking out for him,he could bear no more,he went out through the back entrance of the building, which was called Stores by the tenants who lived there.
    This big building that housed seven tenants was in Triplicane.Each portion consisted of a room,a small kitchen and a tiny verandah with a bathroom.The portion in which Rukku her mother and brother lived was the last one.Rukku’s mother was sitting in the kitchen her metal box containing her worldly possessions in front of her.She looked a little sad.She had in her hand a silver tumbler,Rukku’s mother was turning it in her hand in an absent minded manner.
    Rukku’s father passed away in their village a couple of months back.Rukku’s mother,her brother and herself came to Madras after finishing the last rites of her father.They carried no money with them.But Rukku’s mother had some of her jewellery and ,many silver things.Rukku’s mother( from now onwards,my dear,we will call her ‘Amma’ for convenience’s sake) knew that they could sell those silver things and her jewellery to tide over the time,till her son who was a draughtsman by profession got a job in a good company.Well,Rukku’s brother went around looking for jobs.He got jobs on temporary basis,sometimes he got weekly wage,sometimes even a daily wage job.But Sundararajan did not lose heart.He was with a single minded devotion that he had to take care of his mother and his sister on whom he doted.He wanted his mother to live peacefully and he wanted to give his sister a good education.

Amma was looking at the tumbler in her hand.She had sold all her silver except a ‘kuthu vilakku’ and this tumbler.Last week only, she gave the vilakku(diya) to her son ,to be sold.The money which the vilakku brought would last them the entire month.She hoped that her son would get a job and the tumbler would be spared.Now ,she had other thoughts.She remembered the next door tenant Mrs.Jaya telling her yesterday,”Mami,your daughter Rukku is very small.Why should you deny her new clothes for Diwali?Get her some new clothes.”Then as an after thought,she said,”If you won’t mistake me, I will lend you the money,you can return the money later on”.
    Amma just smiled and changed the topic of conversation.But that lady’s words “Rukku is a small child,why deny her new clothes?” was ringing in her ears.She wondered.If she sold that tumbler,she would easiy get a decent amount of money and she could get her daughter new clothes for Diwali.Why deny that child the simple pleasure?But cmmon sense prevailed and Amma kept the vilakku in the box and closed the box.
    At this moment Rukku entered their portion and changed into a pair of old pavadai and chattai.She neatly folded the ones that she was wearing till then,kept them in the shelf and came ,sat before her mother.
    “Myla”,(Rukku’s mother called her Myla,her brother called her Mylamma)are you upset that I did not get you new clothes for Diwali?”she asked her daughter in a sad voice.
    “No,Amma”Rukku’s voice was very clear.”Father died only recently,no?How can we celebrate Diwali?Iam not at all upset,Amma.Please don’t look so sad,Amma.If you are sad,then Anna will also get upset,poor Anna,what will he do,Amma?We have to support him you know?”.
    So saying Rukku ate her dinner,served by her mother and went to sleep with a peaceful expression on her face.
    Amma also lay on the bed,and wept soundlessly.
    Sundararajan was walking on the road aimlessly.He was on a temporary job for the past three weeks,but he was told yesterday that his services were not required anymore and that they would get in touch with him when and if they needed him.The money that they gave him was used to pay the rent to their portion and buy some groceries.Now he had absolutely no money with him.
    Rukku’s words,”Whatever I ask my brother ,he will get it for me”,was ringing in his ears. .Rukku’s earnest face and the faith that her brother was there to get her anything she wanted was something that he would never forget through out his life.
    Now,how was he going to buy anything at all for his little sister?.His sister was a very sensible girl.She would never even show on her face that she was upset,how could he fail her?
    Sundararajan just walked slowly.When he came near the Star theater,he felt a hand on his shoulder.He turned to see who it was.
    “Hello,Sundu!My God!,I have been looking out for you and here you are!”Mr.Raman was there grinning from ear to ear.
    “Sundu,Natesan Iyer told me to give you this money.This is for the plan that you drew out for his Godown in Thiruvottiyur.He was very happy with the plan and gave this money to be handed over to you,but I just could not locate you,Natesan had misplaced the address that you gave him, but he said,”Sundu lives somewhere near Star theater in Triplecane”luckily I found you.Here take it and wish you a happy Diwali,my son”

Sundararajan met Mr.Raman casually when he was traveling by bus.Raman enquired about Sundu and Sundhu had told him about his father passing away and here he was in Madras with his mother and little sister.Sundararajan also told him that he was a draughtsman by profession and that he was looking out for a job.Immediately Raman, whose heart melted listening to the life story of Sundararajan took him to one of his friends,Mr.Natesan and introduced Sundararajan to him.
    “Natesa this young man’s name is Sundararajan.He is a qualified draughtsman.He is looking out for a job.You were looking out for somebody to give a plan for your Godown no?He will fit the bill.Give that work to this young man and also see if you can get a decent job for him”,so saying Raman left leaving Sundararajan to talk to Natesan and get this job.Sundararajan made the draft for the Godown and gave it to Natesan.Natesan said that he was busy and that he would look at the plan,consult his partners and then get in touch with him.Natesan took down Sundararajan’s address also.But Sundararajan did not hear from him at all,so he thought that may be Natsan did not like the plan that he drew for him.
    Sundararajan opened the plain cover in which Natesan had kept the money,It was all of Rs.120.”My God!”Sundararajan’s eyes widened.That was a great sum those days,my dear!.
    Sundararajan’d hands almost shook,counting the money and keeping it safe in his shirt pocket.He was overwhelmed with happiness and sudden surprise.
    “God is great!”thought Sundararajan.Sometime back, he was wondering as to how he was going to buy a decent dress for his sister. He pleaded with God,”Oh, God,why are you testing me so much. Iam not asking anything for myself,I want to buy new clothes for my little sister.I don’t want her to feel that she will not get what she want because our father is no more.I want to be her father and her mother.I want to take care of her.She is a property left to me by my father.Please my God,help me!” God had heard his heart’s cry and there was the money from unexpected quarters!Suddnly Sundararajan wanted to sit in a place and cry.Remember ,my friends,he was also a very young man,all of twenty one and a great responsibility on his shoulders.He went to the teashop and sat in one of the stools kept outside the shop. He covered his face with his hands,he wept uncontrollably for a second or two.Then he composed himself,drank the tea kept in front of him and came out.

He went to the ‘Queen’s Stores ‘in Pycrofts Road,the shop owner a north Indian welcomed Sundararajan with a big smile on his face,Sundararajan had bought some dresses for his sister from this shop only, on credit and paid the instalments correctly.The shop owner exclaimed,”Sir,you want to buy dress for your sister?Some new arrivals have come,see them”He opened a carton and showed the dress materials stacked in it.Sundararajan who always had a good eye for nice colours, selected a very beautiful dress material to make pavadai and chayttai for his sister and rushed to the tailor who was next door to his house.His tiny shop’s name was P.R.Tailors.The tailor was a good man,he said,”Sir,don’t worry.Your sister’s pavadai chattai will reach your house at three in the morning ,Sir.I will keep up my word,Sir”

Next morning Amma woke up Rukku.Gave her a bath and the she took out the new pavadai and chattai which the tailor had deliverd in the early morning and which she had kept in front of the God’s pictures.
    Rukku’s eyes widened with pleasure looking at the new pavadai.”Wow,Amma the pavadai and chattai looks so beautiful,Amma”She rushed to Sundararajan and hugged him,”Anna you only bought it for me,no?You are the most wonderful brother Anna”Sundararajan’s eyes misted.
    Rukku wore her new pavadai and chattai.The pavadai was of georgette material ,white in colour with yellow colour hand embroidered flowers and a very beautiful border.The chattai was of the same material and the tailor had done a very good job of making the sleeves of the chattai,very modern,puffed sleeves.Amma combed her washed hair and plaited the her in ‘ennai pinnal’ ie oil bath pinnal,my dear,strands of hair taken on both the sides and plaited loosely,so that one can put lose flowers also into the gap.Rukku loved her hair to be done in that fashion.She jumped,skipped and ran to the entrance of the building.Her friends,Vasanthi,Kalyani,Sachu and some other ladies, men and children were standing there in a group bursting crackers.All of them were wearing their new dresses.They took one look at Rukku,”RUKKU!” they exclaimed at her in unison.Looking at Rukku in her new pavadai and chattai,their eyes almost popped out.
    “Your brother got this for you Rukku?”
    “Yes,did I not tell you that my brother will buy for me whatever I want?He got this dress made for me yesterday.”Rukku’s face glowed like the morning sun with pride and happiness.
    Short,plump,with curly hair,wide eyes and a permanent look of surprise on her face Rukku stood amidst her friends.Kalyani who was much taller than Rukku lifted her up,screamed,”Rukku dear!”and showered kisses on her,the others felt equally happy for Rukku.It is true that children are sometimes rude and hurt their friends,it is also true that they love their friends unconditionally.

Sundararajan stood at a distance and watched his sister,laughing and bursting crackers with others.His eyes were full of unshed tears and there was only this thought in his heart that he should always be there for his sister.
    He gave his little sister a fine education,got her married to a fine person.Rukku is a grandmother today.She has celebrated many, many Diwalis since then.She has received so many precious ,costly gifts from her family members.But no present so far has given her the joy,pride and happiness that the white georgette pavadai and chattai which her brother got for her, when she was a ten year old kid ,gave her.
    Rukku is a peaceful person today.If poverty did not dim her zest for life,riches have not given her any affectations.She is happy to stand by the aisle and watch the world go by.She loves to watch her fellow human beings play colourful characters on the center stage of life and she claps her hands.
    Her school name was mythili,her mother called her,’myla’,her brother called her ‘mylamma’.malspie calls her mithie,Oviya calls her mithumma,Vidya calls her mithilama,Vysan &Shanthi call her MK and all her friends call her mithila.When she chooses to sit late at night to type,AC shouts at her from across the globe,”MITHILA NOW GO TO BED” Rukku goes to bed whimpering,”AC is very rude,even my mother never shouted at me like that,”but in her heart of hearts she is happy ,she has wonderful friends, friends like AC, who love her and care for her.
    What happened to Sundararajan,the loving brother?.He was honest,sincere inhis work,got a good job,finished AMIE,went abroad earned lot of money and has retired .He lives a comfortable life with his wife and children who are well off.His love for his little sister has remained the same.Even today,when he visits her,he is there in the kitchen with her.
    “You move that side,I will fry the appalam.”
    “I will set the table”
    He even washes utensils for her in the sink,sometimes to his wife’s irritation,nodoubt.

Diwali always brings these golden memories ,memories of her childhood to Rukku alias mithila.So far she never shared these memories with anyone except her daughters,now she is sharing them with you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008

2. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mithi maam.
    That was a precious heart touching one..May Almighty shower best of everything on you....

Regards Moonbeams....

3. mithila kannan

Dear moonbeams,
    Thanks a million my dear.
    Will get back to you.
    love
    mithila kannan

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Mithila,

That was a beautiful narration, Mithila maam. I am not able to see the screen clearly as tears have flooded my eyes. You are blessed to have such a wonderful brother. It is befiiting and touching that this precious gift stays in your memory forever.

The following lines are icing on the cake.

If poverty did not dim her zest for life,riches have not given her any affectations.She is happy to stand by the aisle and watch the world go by.She loves to watch her fellow human beings play colourful characters on the center stage of life and she claps her hands.

Thanks for sharing a heart-hugging experience.

5. lalithavennkat

lalithavennkat Silver IL'ite

Dear Mithila Mami,

Literally I am not able to read that because of tears in my eyes, Very nice narration.
    I wish and pray God to bless both of you (Brother and sister) A long and happy life
    as of now. Dayavu seidhu Dhirushti Kazhithukollavum Kann pettuvidapokirathu.

6. friend101

friend101 Senior IL'ite

Dear Mithila ma'am,
    Your story brought tears to my eyes.....This reminds me of my brother who's equally loving and caring. I'm so lucky to be his sister. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. I can understand how much it means to you.
    Pooja

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mithila,
    Lovely touching one!! I did suspect it should be your real life story - for 2 reasons; you posted it in Non -fiction and Myla(your mom's words)!!

Lovely bonding and wish you more and more years of happiness and bonding with your brother.

I enjoyed this wonderful memories of yours.

8. mithila kannan

My dear aishu,
    As always you have given a wonderful FB. Thank you for the same and hearty thanks for your good wishes.
    love
    mithila kannan

9. mithila kannan

My Pooja,
    Thanks a lot my dear for your loving words.Yes my brother does mean a lot to me.
    These memories add colour to my life.
    Thanks once again.
    love
    mithila kannan

10. mithila kannan

My dear Lalitha Vennkat,
    Thanks dear for your kind words.Blessed are the brothers and sisters who share a beautiful bonding that goes strong and stronger with age.
    Thank you
    love
    mithila kannan