1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kreepy ,Kurious Koncepts in Kapoor’s KSerials

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sabitha_K, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Having come across genre in horror which is called KHorror my well wishers advised me not to go anywhere near the so called KSerials which is where no woman is supposed to venture coz it is a forbidden land and once you trespass in that territory you are entrapped there for ever.

As rules are to be broken and advices to be ignored, I finally dared to spend my afternoons during my transition phase at work [another thread to take it up later] in front of the dreaded KSerials. I watched initially with curiosity then with awe and finally with puzzlement.

The first one is Kahaani Ghar Ghar ki though I am not sure it is Kahaani Kis Ghar Ki.In the alternate universe of this serial the doctors were able to invent death defying, youth preserving manna which when consumed would render youthfulness to all the characters. Can’t identify the grandmother from the grand daughter. The only person who will be having tough time is the electoral chap who makes a round during election times to count the number of people living in a house and imagine him finding bevy of beautiful ladies as grannies and need to put down their age as 60.

KSBKBT makes a flamboyant entry where the title song consumes half the time. The alternate universe created in this serial is a paradise for every bahu. Ironically none of the bahus in this serial is happy in her life but the point to note is even in the middle of the night when they wake up from dream they look like they are going to a party. Expensive designer wear saris and exquisitely crafted jewellery dangling from their necks is emblematic of the pain and suffering of these bahus though I am not sure if the pain in their heart is less than the ache they have with that heavy stuff. The script is akin to what you see at Shopper’s Stop mix and match section where you can buy a mix of kurtis and dupattas and interchange and wear on occasions .Similarly the writer also has a fetish for this mix and match style and keeps juggling the characters to form a family.

You are still reeling from the jolts you had when Kasauti Zindagi ki or Kasauti Shadiyon ki makes a blaring entry. This serial again notable for its characters has a predefined rule if you need to be a member in any of the two powerful clans .You are treated as an outlaw if you have been married for only once .Every character in this serial has been married for more than 2 times and this is a common theme which runs in most of the KSerials. Not even a single episode passes by where someone isn’t crying though till date I can’t understand are they crying over their failed marriage or not finding someone to get married again.

The latest one to join the bandwagon is Kasturi.I remember watching the first few episodes of the serial some time back and thought here comes something out of the league which emphasizes on a woman aspiring to do something in life and make her family proud but little did I know like 'All roads leads to Rome' all KSerials baptized with ‘K’ need to have some of the idiosyncratic , crazy , jaw dropping twist of events. In the present day, poor Kasturi has already been married twice and preparations are going on for her third wedding. Remember she got married twice once as a sacrifice to her family and the second time for revenge now something very common again in KSerials where no two people get married for love. They get married for revenge, sacrifice, wealth or last but not the least because they are very confused in life.

My trance was broken by my husband one fine day when he yelled at him and asked me to switch off the television not able to bear any longer as they say women have lot more patience than men and somehow my patience has improved over a period of time while watching these serials which make little progress when you go on a vacation and come back. The most you would have missed would be the camera focussing on each person which goes on for ever. He deemed the channel to be a wife lock one and if he had the technology he would have wielded it and double protected.

I don’t mean to offend any of the ladies in IL who adore the serials and the characters in them and still agree that my journey with the KSerials has been of profound knowledge and enlightenment.

-Sabitha

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sabitha,
    I really laughed my heart out reading your post........yeah, me never watched any of these serials as when these serials started, I was in my intermediate/BS/MS, so never got time, but now in job, I managed to have time to watch TV for a few mins at least.......so once tried to watch Bidai in Star Plus......after 2-3 episodes, I felt so nauseatic, I stopped watching that......then switched over to Sujata in Sony.....at first it was good but it again followed the K-steps.......
    So, now finally decided that if I have to watch anything Desi, I will stick with Sa re ga ma and CID.....at least, these are way too good .

Regards,

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha,

A very good write-up...loved it and have a good laugh...

I don't watch hindi serials.. for that matter any of them... But with your post, made sure I just sleep rather than watch these stupid serials.. :rotfl:rotfl

Good one, :thumbsup:thumbsup

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha
    You have an unqiue sense of humor which is well reflected in your narration.:2thumbsup: I thoroughly enjoyed each and every word... :mrgreen:WOW.. I am clueless to these shows as have not heard nor watched them ever.. But your writing took me along with you on a ride. The end of which was rudely awakened by your dh suggestions of a wife lock!:oops:
    You rock dear.. now eagerly waiting to read more from you.:tongue

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha
    Your thread is so wonderful I have nominated it for the Finest Post of the Month Contest. Good luck:)

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Meeta ,

I watched few initial episodes of these KSerials in college and again started watching them from last month which was disrupted by my hubby's untimely intervention.

Nandu,

You bet sleep is anyday better than the torture you have to go through while watching but as all addictions are bitter and sweet so are these KSerials.Once you start watching them they pull you deep down in their mire.Drowning

AnandChitra,

Thanks for your comments.I never had time to sit and write on things that I strongly felt [partly because of my lethargy though 'no time' is the best selling answer] and somehow ever since I have joined indusladies,circled with lovely people around me,I take time now inspired by so many people I keep coming across in IL.

-Sabitha

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Nominated for FP..:spin:spin:spin

I think this is the best thing that has happened to me amidst the financial meltdown , credit crisis coz normally I am spending these days in the fear of pink post and here you have nominated for finest post....

Thanks a lot , AnandChitra.

-Sabitha

8. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Sabitha,

Very well written.... laughed a lot !! You deserve all the praises....

Keep writing for us...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hey sabitha,

The K's landed me here..

I don't watch any serials, gone are the days when i used to eagerly wait for adose padose, humlog and all. these days i don't even have the patience to channel surf. I watch news channels, they are also becoming like serials yaar, i watch some programmes on the loksabha channel, ddindia, for the variety of topics covered.

While talking about all the k serials, you forget to mention the jewellery, the bindi's..:spinBig Laugh. then the promotion of one serial in another serial only Ekta can dream it up...

The serials are part of many homes. in the 90's there were families that used to have dinners during the bold and beautiful episodes..now it is anything the fly wants. I know a few households where there two/three tv's with different programmes running...

I was looking at some dance and singing programme, a guest was watching, in between the contestants say you know mahabarat is coming on this slot, don't forget to watch...only then came to know there is a new mahabharat serial being screened..my son wanted to watch it..I have closed a deal with him that i will get him the old ramanand sagar's cd's if he will forego watching this one...god should help the DrowningDrowningDrowning viewers...

Though your narration is comical and i enjoyed it. there are a few families where the children are addicted because of the mother's addiction to these soaps...whether it is hindi/or any regional language....

Definitely you will learn patience watching all these serials..and also memory retention???

The impact of these k serials and others are so much you have tv news in most of the mags and also special slots on news channels that discuss them too....

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The best part is all the women go to sleep in designer saris and jewellery and never change them for nightwear. It is as if they were born in designer saris and jewellery.
    I suspect there is a glycerine shortage in the market because of K serials . Kekta sorry Ekra kapoor buys it wholesale to help her heroine flood the small screen with tears.