1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Did you visit your personal space today?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Did you visit your personal space today?

“Have you visited your personal space today?” This was the query put to us members by the male guest speaker at the Ladies’ Club meeting in our apartment complex. Curious that a man should have accepted the invitation to talk to us (he was in a minority of one, no other man for moral support) and intrigued by the question, we looked at each other as if to ask “Personal space? What is this? Where is it?” More so as the circular had mentioned the topic of discussion as “Feeling good to look good”. He took in our perplexed faces and continued, “How does your family perceive you and how do you perceive yourselves vis-à-vis your family? How many different roles do you play every day?” The usual replies came from all sides. “I made breakfast and packed lunch for my kids and husband”, said one lady. Another countered, “My MIL performs puja every morning so I also made some prasadam for God”. Planning the menu for the week and buying all the groceries and vegetables, attending to the laundry and ironing, doing the dishes as the maid gave ‘chakkar’, ferrying the kids to karate class or for music lessons….

The list was endless but very nicely summed up by the speaker : “OK, you are all homemakers, I can see, you have been a wife, a mother, a daughter-in-law, a chauffeur, a “gofer” and so on. You have allotted so many time slots for your daily routine. Isn’t there something that you have missed out?” This set everyone thinking! Silence all round, no one could quite figure it out, but all of us accepted the fact that there was something missing. He now tried another track. “What does each one of you like to do in your spare time, I am sure all of you have a hobby or preferred activity”. A chorus of answers : “Oh yes, meditation, gymming, surfing the net, sewing, embroidery, music, reading, movies, tennis, … “.

Finally, one lady ventured, “I think you mean, do I consider myself as an individual, a person in my own right?” “Yes, though I will rephrase it differently. Did you take some time out for yourself, for the YOU in you, did you do the things that you enjoy without feeling a wee bit guilty that this time could be put to better use, doing things for the family etc?” A glimmer of understanding dawned on many faces…. A chorus of voices : “I like to paint but do not really have the time, there are so many other chores”, “have been intending to read the latest best-seller”, “been trying to lose weight but no time for gymming”, “people tell me I should grow a terrace-garden as I have green fingers”, ….. many unfulfilled aspirations…

“Ok, but what does all this have to do with the subject of your talk “Feeling good to look good?” someone asked him. “I was waiting for one of you to ask me this very question. So has anyone figured out the answer? It’s quite simple really”. “I get it, when get to do what I enjoy, for my own pleasure, I feel good and this is reflected in my appearance, my body language”. “Yes, your whole personality undergoes a change and your outlook towards others becomes a lot more positive. Your contentment shines through and you exhude confidence. Try it and see the transformation. So start feeling good and looking good”, he concluded.

Yes, ladies, many a time we put off doing simple and enjoyable things for ourselves like a visit to the beauty parlour or an all-women outing or even going for a walk or reading the latest ‘India Today’ because some thing else needs our urgent attention. We women do tend to put our own needs on the backburner, for in my generation, that is how we were brought up, the elders told us that our Dharma is to do our duty by attending to the family. Thankfully, times are changing, the joint family system is becoming extinct and nuclear families are the order of the day. It came as a real eye-opener to many of us and we decided then and there that we would visit our ‘personal space’ every day as we definitely wanted to “feel good and look good”!

PS: This is purely from a women’s perspective. Dear ILites, your points of view are welcome!

Padma Srinivas

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Padma,
    I am trying to visit my personal space, everyday and as you said., we are brought up in a such way that if there is any free time, it is for the family only..
    Nowadays, I am trying to fix my space..getting enough rest and read books of my choice, it would be soley on the spiritual side..trying to meditate and do some yoga.
    Hats off to that male speaker and to you to bring this very important message which conveys how important our personal space is..

sriniketan

3. Padmasrinivas

Dear Sriniketan,

Yours is the first fb, thank you for your lovely words endorsing the post. I too make use of my personal space by reading books on spirituality or in meditation. Nowadays, I keep time for visiting IL as well...

Padma

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma ma'am,

Good introspection indeed..

I m too glad that I do visit my personal space everyday..

Now since its just two of us (DH and me ) now....I seem to have whole lot of time to do that...and I just hope and wish that I learn to manage time for it even after my kids come....and when I take up a job or whatever the situation may be...I definitely agree that these visits ..help us to "feel and look good", which ultimately reflects on the family too...:exactly:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Padmasrinivas

Dear Saraswathi,

Great feeling, na? Tensions are definitely reduced when we find our own personal space. Once you have learnt to manage time at present, it becomes easier to work out a schedule after the kids come, wishing you luck...

Thanks for the nice fb,

Padma

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Thanx for the wishes/blessing ma'am....

I will certainly look up to you for inspiration....I remember your intro post...your personal space must be fun:cheers...full-time grandmom to a toddler and all the joy with ur friends , with music, movies, picnic etc..

bye

7. Padmasrinivas

Yes dear Saras, life is good fun but at times there is so much to do and not enough time!

Padma

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,
    I loved your post!
    We must first understand that our best self is an island within us. That is our source of power. To find the source, first we must believe in our own selves.
    I believe my best self is an island within me. That is my source of power and to discover it, I first had to believe in myself!
    My belief is the root of my strength and it is the best endorsement, I give myself!
    That is one place where I do not bother if others resent me or if that disappointed me.
    There, I imagine, I accomplish every job, I undertake successfully, to my satisfaction.
    Strangely, I do not receive a less favourable comment from my worst critic! My usual worry, whether I am doing the right thing, does not arise at all and hence I do the things only right.
    I am my own person only there – I am not a daughter, spouse or mother with a tag !
    Nobody can prevent you from being your own person, let us go ahead, without any inhibition!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear Chithra mami,

Overjoyed to receive a fb from you and filled with admiration at how aptly you have expressed the ideas that I was struggling to put into words. I love the expression 'that our best self is an island within us". Yes, when we retreat into our own private space, it is an island that does not permit any intruders. And yes, I fully endorse the view that I am "ME" and only that matters. No looking over the shoulder to see if anyone is watching us and judging us (and finding us wanting!). [Actually Chithra mami, realised souls advise us not to worry about what others may say or think of us or our actions, because right and wrong is in our mind - There is nothing right or wrong but thinking makes it so]. Still, one has to work hard at banishing any feelings of guilt or inhibition. We must live in this Samsara Sagaram doing our duties but also finding our inner selves.

Thank you Chithra mami for leading to a more indepth discussion,

Padma

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    Another great thread from you. This topic is really an eye opener for me!
    You are so right when you mention that we women put others as a priority and put ourselves last!
    Maybe its been like that through the ages. It does take time and getting used to visit my personal space.
    For that matter one needs a personal space. I feel this could be a room set aside for some tasks. I have a small room where I do craft projects and though it is strewn around with craft stuff I still enjoy my room and can let it be the way it is. I also feel that way about my pooja room as a personal space.
    You rock with your choice of topics and much to my delight and pleasure I am enjoying reading your threads.. do keep writing:)