1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oct 15th - global hand washing day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Oct 14, 2008.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

‘Hey! Tomorrow is Global Hand Washing Day,’ announced my friend Raj. Trust her to have access to such intriguing info. The moment my grey cells assimilated the news, they set the cog wheels of my Blogging bandwagon in motion… which, with a deep groan activated themselves, tooth locking into tooth and started spinning idea after idea like Rumplestiltskin, till the whole machinery purred like a cat that has swallowed a canary… and here I am!

If I have roused your curiosity and you want to know what the heck it is all about here’s the link that will educate you: http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/12/stories/2008101258380200.htm

http://www.globalhandwashing.org/

‘Aaah! A noble cause!’ I murmur to myself and just nip across to the washroom to wash my hands once to show my allegiance to the cause. Tomorrow, I’ll wash my hands several times…( When is the Save All Drops of Water Day???) Jokes apart, it is a wonderful thought that has occurred to the collective brains of Global PPPHW, UNICEF, WORLD BANK, HIP, USAID, Procter and Gamble and Unilever… All over the world millions of children will be initiated into the practice of washing their hands with soap…

As usual, the cynic in me surfaced… What a chance for Procter and Gamble and Unilever, she uttered in that snooty tone… Millions and millions of cakes of soap will be bought by Schools, NGOs, Sponsors of events… and Procter, Gamble and Unilever will laugh all the way to their respective banks…

Spoilsport! I admonished my cynical self. But once surfaced, the cynic normally, does a thorough job of brainwashing me… and thus started these thoughts…

First of all, the very term, ‘Global Hand Washing Day’ will be music to the ears of psychoanalysts… Freud would have rubbed his hands with glee ( rather than soap) at the implication…

My FIL , ‘Appa’, as he is fondly called, will rip open a new Cinthol as he does twice every month irrespective of the fact that the previous cake still has life in its ‘shaving’ stage of existence! Normally, he washes his hands as soon as he wakes up, before he touches the soap during bath…after bath….before praying, after praying, before breakfast, after breakfast, every time Amma fixes him a mid-day snack … after eating the snack, before lunch ( this with water from the filter…!), after lunch, after the noon siesta, before the evening snacks, after the evening snacks, before dinner, after dinner, after after-dinner fruits…and probably before going to sleep too, I have not checked on that! I always tell him, he’ll give good ol’ Freud a run for his money with such regular hand washing practice… Freud would probably go paranoid trying to analyze Appa’s obsession for washing hands…
    Anyway, tomorrow, Appa will donate his two bit by managing to wash a dozen times more…in between his normal schedule!

I wonder if the Global PPPHW, UNICEF, WORLD BANK, HIP, USAID, Procter and Gamble and Unilever are violating any copyright issues here… I think the family of a man called Pontius Pilate hold the original copyright for this ‘Hand Washing’ thingummy!

Aah! Ours not to reason why… Ours but to lather and purify!

There are a few more people and organizations that are waiting for such a golden opportunity.

The Editor to whom I have sent my manuscript will grab the chance to wash his hands of my writing…

The banks all over the world will try to wash their hands of the investments made by naïve investors….

The stock brokers will wash their hands of the recent washout in the stock market…

Employers will wash their hands of all the retrenchment, layoffs and downsizing…

The lord and master of my manor would vigorously wash his hand of any promises to make an Akshaya Thruthiya gold gift…

Here are some who would swim against the current and act as slippery as the cakes of soap that is going to be in demand, tomorrow:

The shell-shocked environmentalists and the self- declared Save Sammy activists will NOT wash their hands of the issue of releasing Sammy the shark in limelight, into the wild foamy waters…

The millions of fans making nuisances of themselves in front of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Lilavati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Hospital</st1:placeType></st1:place> are NOT going to wash their hands of their concern for the Big B…

The makers of the obnoxiously absurd serials will not wash their hands of going on and on…and on with threadbare plots…

The Chinese government CAN NOT wash its hands of the ‘udderly’ disastrous Milk Powder Scam….

The UAE govt. WILL NOT wash its hands of the responsibility of coming to the rescue of its banks and the investor’s trust…

Those who should wash their hands globally, publicly and stay clean hereafter for the sake of world hygiene:

Those who promote hate killings based on religion…of their bigotry…

The NEWS CHANNELS with their penchant for BREAKING NEWS… of their obsession for sensationalism …

George W. Bush…of being George Bush…

The scandalmongers and rabble-rousers in Indian politics…of pulling a nation back from its potential of becoming a superpower…

The list is endless… but I can’t think of anymore now…

By the way, is there a Global Wash Your Mouth With Soap Day? I know a few folks who could do with one… Must ask Raj… or Google out info…

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Twinsmom,

That was a hilarious article on global hand washing day.

Will be back later for a detailed FB.

3. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear dear
    that was hilariously serious..
    wonderful write up
    and so i felt it needed a nominatin too.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear TM,
    That was a hillarious view and review on Global hand washing day.I was :rotfl:rotfl.I loved reading every word.Especially about the hand washing trips your FIL makes...
    The caption that you have given for those were superb!!
    Well,You deserve a place in FP of the month.. so see you there!:thumbsup

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hi Viju
    You always excel yourself.. good one. Enjoyed reading it so much.

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Twinsmom,
    Big LaughBig Laugh
    Your FIL's hand washing pattern reflects my hubby's too..sometimes irritating too..for which he answered that he was not like this before, only after joining the medical he changed like this...my son too follows this pattern...
    who should wash, who should not wash..the analysis of who would be like in the nature of slippery of soap were thoroughly enjoyable...no wonder it made it to the FP...

sriniketan

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Guys,
    Thank you.... Am in a bit of ahurry.... Shall get back later with detailed replies...
    :thankyou2:

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi twinsmom,
    that was an excellent write up..with your usual dose of humour..i am supposed to be quite a handwasher in the family but your FIL beats me hollow...regards
    Mindi.

9. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Twinsmom,
    Hilarious to the stilt! Thoroughly enjoyed it thanks to its being nominated for the best post! You Rock and make us rock too!
    Your list of who should wash hand, who should not and who would not made me :rotfl.
    Love,
    Malathi

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Twinsmom,

I am always excited to read whenever you write here and as usual, enjoyed this write up immensely.

At least, I learnt something new..that there is a hand washing day! I loved the way you equated it to Pontius Pilate, truly original! I also loved your recommendations of who should wash and who should not and the why nots!

The below line had me in splits...but then, so did the whole write up.
    Aah! Ours not to reason why… Ours but to lather and purify!.....

Twinsmom, You can write and I am glad that you write here:)

L, Kamla