1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Step Out Clothes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Usually when one thinks of early morning sights, most often one would be reminded of the sun rise or the bird chirping and the mild cool wind as the case maybe!
    Well for me there are different morning sights to see.
    I drop of my kid in school in the mornings and we usually have to leave early.
    I get to see all the heavy school bags children carry and walk to school.
    With the absence of shool uniforms, these days we get to see variety of clothes being worn. From the fancy to the ordinary.
    When I used to go to school, one could easily identify which school a kid was from looking at the uniform. Also easy to wear uniform because we dont have to think what to wear!!!
    Well that's not what I was going to say about the sight seeing in the mornings.
    After I get out of the school zone, on my way back , I see many home owners going to get their newspapers.
    Here there seem to be more men than women.
    Many of them wear just a bath robe and come out to the streets.
    The women who come out to pick their papers seem to be better dressed.
    Then there are those people going for morning walks.
    Some are dressed very well. Almost like they are going to some expensive spa. All matching clothes and designer wear.
    Some on the other hand wear casual clothes. They seem to be more intent on getting their walk finished.
    I have seen a woman wearing her nightdress and go for a walk.
    I always thought night dress, and for that matter, bathing robes, were meant to be seen inside the house and not outside.
    That brings me to the point of the title.
    Does one need to give much thought to step out of the house to just pick up mail or even the paper.
    I know my father would go casually dressed in veshti and shirt to pick up milk in the mornings. Many a time I have seen ladies putting kolam outside in their night dresses.
    My grandmother might not approve. For her one needs to take bath and be properly attired before "stepping out".
    Maybe times have changed? Any thoughts?!

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra

Surprisingly I am the first one to give you feedback. Since the topic
    you have written I have also experienced I thought let me give reply.
    You write so well that I think manytimes and seeing other's FBs only
    I write.

Now coming to the point I have also seen many south indian mamis
    wearing maxi on the road. It looks so odd. One lady was there
    anytime of the day she is on the road in maxi. If they want they can
    wear it in the night before going to sleep and take out early in the morning.
    Also people dress up well to go for morning walk. My husband after
    retirement does not wear pants. He is always in veshti only. And
    he never is bothered about dressing. What your grandmother says
    is right. Early morning one should take bath and start their chores.
    I also believe in that. Today times have changed and some ladies
    wear maxi at home. My husband is an active member of Brahman
    Seva Samithi and he tells that when they go for collection elderly
    ladies of the house are in maxi and sometimes they think whether
    they have come to south indian house or north indian. As far as
    school uniforms are concerned if school unitorms are there then
    u cant find out the difference between rich and poor. Rich children
    wear rich clothes and the poor cant afford to wear. So the
    children feel so sad. Now times have changed.

I do not know whether I have written according to the topic

with love

viji

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  3. mui kanva

mui kanva Senior IL'ite

Hi Anandchitra
    This is again something that even I used to wonder what to do.. I like to go for walks in the morning.. and ofcourse I feel so irritated to change from my nightdress to one that I can wear when I go out.. I always think, men are lucky, they can just wear what they wear for night.. cos society is ready to accept that.. wheareas if a lady comes out in nighty from top to bottom with the most dirtiest thought in their minds.. In my view, you wear what you feel comfortable in.. a lady can just not change her dress everytime when she steps out of the house.. she is the one who comes out many times, say to collect the milk packets, buy vegetables etc etc.. yes like Iyerviji mam has mentioned, may be she should change her outfit imm after she gets out of the bed.. but how many of us would do it everyday? esp when it comes to working woman.. having a bath in the morning before you start your day is also a good idea.. but again the problem is for the working women who will want to go to office fresh not after she sweets and starts to have a itchy feeling that comes after she works in the kitchen preparing the food for the day before leaving to office.

So, I would say, yes you can step out of the house in your maxi or ur night wear.. but dont take too many steps outside, that you go for a walk or wherever.. you have to go beyond the gate of ur house, its better to change..

and about kids not wearing uniform, I agree with Iyerviji mam.. that brings in more complex feeling in the child.. it is always advisable to maintain uniforms in the schools..

4. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hai anandchitra,

I agree with Iyerviji ma'm about night dress. kids not wearing uniform,that brings in more complex feeling in the child.. it is always advisable to maintain uniforms in the schools.

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC,
    HOW ARE U...i too think uniforms are a must till a certain age so that all kids are seen as equal...as for me I am always in a tshirt and baggy pants so can run out of the house anytime for errands...i dress up only for occassions..of course it depends on where u are also..my recent trip to kerala i was out of the house at 6.30 for my round of temples in my onam saree(the kerala white and gold)..a nice change...
    regards
    Mindi

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Good Topic..Well, Uniform as the name suggests was adopted in schools just to make sure that none is superior /inferior.If the child was asked to wear ordinary clothes, a child from a well to do family might wear an expensive dress, whereas the child from the middle/poor family might dress according to their family's affordability.This factor should not bring any differences in a child's mind about family status, inferior complex etc.

So i think,its better and a safe bet, if the schools stick on to Uniforms.

The second part, yes.. we do often see women wearing night dress on roads.I would just say, well, its comfortable and i'm also the one who wears it and feels most comfortable.But i dare not cross my gate and go beyond in maxi.It definitely looks odd.

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi AC
    Till today I havn't seen any kid going to school without the school uniform. Yes sometimes in India if the school is for the workers kids, but now a days even these kids are provided with the uniform by the donors.

Regarding the other part I cannot wear a night dress during the day nor can I go out of the house with one. Even though I am at home for the whole day I still cannot. Nightdress is meant for night which we will be able to sleep comfortablily. During the day I prefer to be in casual clothes.
    In case I see any lady with nightdress during the day I feel very irritated. Ya I don't go to tell them anything but no idea I don't like it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. Anandchitra

Viji
    These days many do not give a thought to how to step out of the house and what not to wear! Sometimes every thing goes looks like:)

9. Anandchitra

Mui
    I like your line dont take too many steps outside!
    That really sums it up I feel.. Working woman or not every woman has many demands.. so this I am sure applies to all women.

10. Anandchitra

Saikripa
    Its easier to maintain uniforms in school. Its also easier on parents since we dont need to worry about the clothes etc.