1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Affair With Darkness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 15, 2008.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ-da,

You are indeed a master of words. You work miracles with your pen and your narratives as well as your descriptions are enough to leave one spell-bound. And your similes are absolutely original.

Vid, thanks for digging this out of OJ-da's archives and bringing it out into the light from the darkness into which it had been banished for reasons best known to the readers.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ Sir
    VEry beautifully written piece. Yet again.
    Somehow I related to the power cut because just yesterday we had one, thanks to Irene. Fortunately I got it back after three hours but there are hundrends of thousands still without it.

Owls are indeed wise in my opinion...enjoying life to the fullest without the daytime disturbances. And to sleep when the world is busy.; oh what bliss!

I too admire your writing style sir. Have you thought of publishing your works in a book?

1 person likes this.
  3. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda:

Thank you for liking this post. The older I get, the more I enjoy writing. I don't think I was ever aware that I was fond of writing till, for a reason I can't figure out, I wrote something and sent it to the Times of India requesting them to publish it as a "middle". TOI has given up the "middle" now. I was quite surprised that they actually published it. Later on, I posted it in IL also. [It's still there I noticed, but difficult to read because of machine language mixing up with the post. I think this is happening not only with my old posts, but others' posts too. I requested them to clean up the mess if possible and hope that they will be able to do this. But it is a huge amount of work and it is possible that they do not have enough technical help. I won't be surprised if people in this organization work for it on a voluntary basis, sheer labour of love. So, I am not upset by the state of the older posts, because what they lack technically, they make up for by their friendship. Besides, I maintain my own website too, where I post the pieces I am serious about. So preservation is not a problem.]

In any case, if you are interested, you can try to read that TOI post at the following link:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/45153-of-crows-and-men.html

At IL, I came across a number of people, like Cheeniya, Kamal, Chitvish, Balajee and others, who seemed to be seriously interested in writing too. And their feed back system helped me be a part of the community too. But I must admit that I lost patience sometimes and stopped contributing. Every time I left though, I came back, ultimately because I missed the kind people at the site.

I am hoping that I don't leave again. The way I see it now is that enjoying the art of writing is more rewarding than the number of people who ultimately get to read me. If they do read and like what I write, I feel happy. When they don't, I try to feel satisfied anyway. So far it is working. Let's see. :)
    oj-da

2 people like this.
  4. ojaantrik

Dear kkrish:

Thank you so much for reading me. It is a wonderful feeling to share one's mind with others.

Fortunately, we didn't have any power cut at Philadelphia where I am visiting now. I hope you are out of trouble now.

Publishing is a problem I have found. The only kind of writing publishers want from me are serious, technical books in Economics, since I have been an Eco teacher all my life. I do that and I write popular pieces on economic problems too for the printed media. But creative writing is another game. I did approach a few publishers and they wanted novels, not short pieces of the type you and I write here! :)

oj-da

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Oj-da,

I read and re-read this piece and finally could sit down to write you a feedback! Isn't it amazing to notice that what is comfortable for one could be so uncomfortable for the other! Even though we understand at certain level that there is light only because there is darkness, how easily perturbed we can get to be in the darkness. Comfort coupled with territoriality can give so much strength!

There is a self publishing website called lulu - do some google search, please do read up all the info available (for I did notice a thread about 'lulu publishing problems') and if you feel comfortable, you could self publish!! And we will all be takers here!

Thank you for the lovely thread!

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oj-da,
    You are right! If we start counting FBs or the no: of replies as our rewards, I would even say, one is defying The Gita!!
    Karmanyadhikarasthe.......
    Concentrating on our action gives us immense pleasure which sometimes is likely to get lost if we go by reward orientation!!

On the lighter side, I now know, why you have the greatest admiration for our Cheeniya sir. He & his avatar are inseparable!!

7. ojaantrik

Dear Srama:

Yes, you are right. I have heard of Lulu too. I forget in what connection it came up. I think I came across someone who was being published by Lulu. I will check up, thank you. I have been translating Bengali poems into English too. You will find one of them in the poetry section. It's called Kurani - A Foundling. This is another area where I wish I could find a publisher. It's not easy, since copyright issues are involved. But the Bengali language has a very rich tradition in poetry, starting with Tagore of course. Lots of people have translated Tagore, I too have tried my hand at one or two. But I am more interested in the post-Tagore poets. Some of them were truly great. Just to give you a feel, let me copy one of my translations.

Evening by Ashok Bijoy Raha

Wonder whose sitar --- they're playing on air now
    The news in Bangla's over
    I trudge along as I keep on listening --- the strains of music linger
    A suburb in a mofussil town, rubbing upon a wood
    Dusk descends on bushes and brushes --- wild fragrance fused
    Across the bend, quite unexpected, a red hued earthen mound
    Right behind which peeps a hill --- a monolith standing its ground
    Jackals call as night arrives, 'n as soon's I advance
    A fig tree's brought to life it seems by bats that flutter and dance
    The noise of hooting owls above --- startles --- and Oh dear!
    Telegraph wires have caught alive a half-moon in a snare.

Love.

oj-da

8. ojaantrik

Wise Chitvish:

"ma faleshu kadachan". You are so right. Few people understand the great truth hidden in this age old piece of advice. It shows you the only way to happiness, yet humanity forgets and selects the wrong way. Same with me, the only saving grace is that I manage to remember and stick to the true path every now and then.

No, it is not the lighter side. I do admire Cheeniya as I admire few others. It is not just the way he writes (or, "used to write" should I say?). I admire him also for his attitude. I have indeed learnt a lot from him. Not just about how to write, but also about how to live.

Love.

oj-da

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

The way Vidchakra has unearthed this old post of your's from the annals of IL and nominated it to the FP of the month is somewhat like how those owls found their little fun time in the total darkness of the night! Once again, the parallels between how those owls played around in the open dark skies and how your thoughts took a flight of imagination in the dark is also something to be noted!

Congratulations Oj-da, looks like you have started off on your second inning in IL! (Or is it the third?!)

L, Kamla

10. ojaantrik

Dear Kamla:

I don't know how to express myself adequately enough. Let me just say that it is immensely comforting to hear from a kind, long time friend.

Our journey back home was less comfortable than we thought it would be. What with the Irene creating havoc, a number of passengers from earlier cancelled flights were packed into our aircraft. The result was that the cabin was full of luggage and people jostled with each other to establish their rights. I find it very hard to be a part of this animal fury and had to managed as best as I could by leaving my belongings far away from me in the business class as I huddled with Sankari in the narrow confines of the economy class. It was a tiring journey, though I tried to stretch myself from time to time through the 14 hour flight to Delhi. From Delhi to Kolkata was more pleasant, though there was considerable turbulence along the way, almost till Patna. I am still coping with jet lag and, much to my embarrassment, I was almost dozing off during a live TV show soon after arrival. I hope the camera didn't catch me!

Vidchakra's gesture is kind and I am moved needless to say. I almost feel like Lazarus come from the dead. This young girl is very, very talented in my opinion. I was totally surprised by the first haikus she produced. I don't think I can match her maturity, skill and sensitivity. If someone like her thinks I am worth reckoning, then I should feel more than satisfied that my efforts have been worth my while.

Thank you very much for keeping me informed. Thank you even more for your friendship towards a person who often loses his way.

Love.

oj-da