1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mineral Water in Kai Endhi Bhavan

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Cindhuja, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Read an interesting article about a "Kai endhi Bhavan" in Madras. Kai Endhi Bhavan (KEB) are mobile stalls found in the roadsides. Particularly in madras it is a good busines, and i myself have seen many bachelors (even my colleagues) and people who cannot afford in good restaurants eating in such KEB's. As far as i have come across i have rarely seen a clean mobile stall or a mobile stall in a clean environment. We cannot blame the person who is doing the business, but also the customers who come and eat, just sarcastically throw away the plates or cups, wash & spit in the main road.The salesman has no time to advise them nor care about the hygiene factor.

When things go like this, i recently read an article, were the mobile stall owner Serves Mineral water for their customers !!! When enquired about this the owner says:"I am Sundar, I did my electrician course in Kumbakonam and came to Madras looking for a job. I used to eat in many KEB's, since they dont maintain cleanliness & as i had to drink different kind of waters in different shops, i suffered out of stomach ache and many problems. Being a single man i cannot go and advise or make them realize the damage they are doing to the society. Since i was affected i thought of giving a cleanly way from my side. I was not interested in my job so i started a mobile stall(KEB). I always maintain cleanliness and i do serve only mineral water to my customers from the day 1 till now. The customers who come and eat in my stall praise me for giving them good water rather than good food. What else is pleasure other than serving people good food, though i do for money for my living?!?!?"

When serving bolied water being a rule in the State, only very few follow it. But people like Mr.Sundar are really to be appreciated.

2. anukvs

anukvs Senior IL'ite

thats interesting to note. Apart from mineral water, is there a change in the quality of food as well.

Sundar needs a big round of applause for taking the first step.

anu

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Good good..

if only everyone think like Mr.Sundar :)

BTW, how many have tried roadside parotta ;)

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hats off to Sundar...If all follow the same...how clean our KEB stalls be...kann kolla kaatchi...
    Thanks cindhuja for this information..

Nandhu...I understand your :drool haha...

sriniketan

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi anu,

As u asked most of us expect a change in the quality of the food. lets hope for the best to happen very soon.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi nandhu,

My native is famous for those roadside parottas, so i have tried them a lot many times. but they are very small & temporary motels not like KEB's,

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

Thanks for sharing your comments. Even i am waiting for that "Kann Kolla Kaatchi".

8. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

i miss those days eating @the KEB's in chennai will all friends.

it's wrong 2 say that only people who can't afford eat @ KEB's.

not all but there were a few good places where the taste was excellent and we all used to go atleast 1ce a week.

the different chutni's, watery sambar, omlette, idly, dosai, parotta - while writing this i am lost in those memories.

cleanliness ofcourse u need 2 compromise if u want 2 eat out there.

it's good 2 c people like sundar r trying 2 change things.

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Its nice to hear abt people like Sunder who gives more that what an usual KEB offers. This extra edge he does makes him a good business man & also serves the humanity.
    Kudos to him
    Jaya

10. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

OH! Kai endhi Bhavan is an oft used term is it? I have heard my BIL Bala and my sister Rat use it. I would never dare to eat in KEB just for all the reasons you have mentioned. I am paranoid about getting stomach disorders.... I often envy the crowd who seem to eat with relish at such joints... CLean and hygienic food is a boon....But to have mineral water.... that would be relief to many... !