1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Saga of a Cyst

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shobhamma, Mar 8, 2016.

1. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Here I was strolling along life with NO problems having my healthy Boiled (in oil) food and occasional (yearly) exercises, keeping myself fairly fit. My serene seventies were creeping up gracefully. Some occasional tummy discomfort got my DIL Ruchita agitated unduly and she propelled me to our family doctor who is usually quite benign and competent.

It became the classic case of “AA Bail, Mujhe Maar!” (Come Bull! hit me!)
    Instead of prescribing some pills over a light chitchat, she decided to examine my stomach. She put a hand on my poor Tond (paunch) and blenched in horror! I explained patiently it was my fat accumulated over years and now a nicely rounded Tond so comfortable to my grandchildren. She shook her head and told me it had to be investigated!

And the fun started! A battery of tests showed some “thingy” in there. I suggested earnestly that maybe it was a tubal pregnancy (my hysterectomy being done 20 years ago). They refused to hear all my sensible suggestions!

In just 4 days my GP referred to a Gynaec surgeon and we decided for a local prominent hospital. She advised me to continue all my regular medicines. (I am diabetic and hypertensive.) Advised further tests and a date was fixed for the operation. I got a Chest X-ray and ECG taken the previous evening in the hospital only, to get admitted next day for the surgery of my ovarian Cyst.

On the day we registered and I entered the room, while Ruchita went to get my ECG and X ray reports from yesterday! Double whammy!

The physician who came to look at me said I could not be operated as I was taking Ecospirin (wasn’t told to stop!) and the hospital had LOST my ECG report from previous evening! So in 20 minutes we came back home. Must be the fastest check in and out in a hospital!

Subsequently we changed both the Doctor and the hospital and the deed was done a week later. I requested them to wait till the “Thingy” should grow to some record proportions so I could get a place in Limca Book of records but I was vetoed!
    The new doctor wanted an Onco surgeon too! It seemed I was financing the whole medical community single handed!! They even took more time operating than expected initially. Maybe took a lunch break!

Anyway, they took out a Cyst and a tumour depleting my magnificent torso by about 8 kilos! My tummy is a patchwork of stitches. I am going to invent a zipper to be used instead of ugly stitches!

My “thingy” went for biopsy and the report was “High grade and extensively necrotic mucinous adenocarcinoma with areas of ossification.” Which sounds quite odious and made me feel quite important.

Well even if I say so myself, I came out on the 5th day walking on my own two feet! And was fairly mobile in the home too. But the sinister designs on me were not over yet! There were menacing talks about Chemo sessions which I tried to avoid as I firmly believe that after a certain age people should not be put to excessive medical torture while my family which is quite enlightened otherwise were quite obtuse.

So the famous Hindi Proverb came to Life in my life – Jab Okhli Mein Sir Diya to musli se Kya Darna! ( If you have put your head in the mortar why are you afraid of a Pestle! )

Hence we meet another doctor! This cancer business is very specialized and compartmentalized, with each doctor attending to one aspect of the sickness in tandem with the others. The Onco surgeon handed me over to an oncologist who conducted and oversaw my Chemotherapy. He initially decided I needed seven cycles, 3 weeks apart. What I did not know that a Dracula had to test my blood before each one and that would decide the dose and duration.

The sessions lasted for me for about 5/6 hours, but this is not the norm. There was enormous variety in treatment and patients. I sat on the recliner in the chemo room the whole day with the IV in hand and saw the assortment of patients coming and going in the next chair. It was quite comfortable apart from the IV. Sometimes I took my laptop with me and would read or play solitaire, sometimes a book or just watch the TV.

I knew theoretically that cancer has become quite cancerous in the society, but this was a practical lesson. From 1 year old to my 70s, all ages and types in between passed by. Makes you realize that your afflictions are not so great after all. It was a humbling and thankful time.

The worst part was I was forbidden to eat “outside” food! It is positively saintly of me that I resisted the urge to eat Batata Vada!

First time immediately after the therapy I was fine and actually wondered if there was any medicine in the IV fluid or just water! But was soon disabused of the notion. Next few days were bad but not too much according to the leaflet provided by the doctor. In this all kinds of maladies were mentioned that could happen and what to do about them. We were to go to hospital only if and when they passed a certain level. Well that kept me straight because it hardly ever crossed that threshold.

Chemo cycles are called cycles for a reason. For me the 10 days were low and last 10 days to recuperate enough to get another shot of Dracula and Chemo.

After the second one my hair started to fall. It was not painful but annoying. I had short silver hair and our Apso dog has short black hair, and we were having a jugalbandi of black and white hair all over the house. Then I had Mundan and looked like Lady Tathagat! I contemplated to become a monk as that is the most lucrative profession today. But laziness is my besetting sin!

After 3 sessions there was some flap about my haemoglobin and I had to be admitted for some transfusion. I don’t wonder at it! My poor blood was denied Bhel, Chaat and batata vadas for quite long!

Anyway the story is not done yet! In the first operation they could not remove the whole mass so another was needed after 4 chemo sessions. Hence was admitted again for another op. First time they had taken out more solid mass but this time it was all liquid mass as the chemo had “melted” the unreachable parts. Another week in Hospital.

Despite my protests chemo sessions started again and finally they were 8. It has been an amusing and educating episode. We are told that smoking and red meat cause cancer. THIS IS NOT SO! I have been a vegetarian and have never smoked. Now I am considering buying a Hukkah to smoke like a Mughal Begum. Give the poor doctors some excuse!

I believe in fate. What is meant to happen will happen. Both my younger sister and I had hysterectomy done in our early 40s. She had her ovaries removed, I had not. My eldest sister in law still had her uterus, yet we all three had cancer. So not to worry about things. Que Sera Sera!

We also learned about the mechanics of medical Insurance and value of a good Agent.

This episode has made us aware how important it is to have regular check-ups as initially there are NO symptoms. Conversely please do not imagine you have cancer because you have no symptoms!!

I would point out that good medical care is available now all over and there is no need to travel long distances. Smaller establishments are pocket friendly too as they do not have big overheads. They are at par or even better in medical attention and care with their big brothers. The Doctors too, those who are not yet famous or top of the tree, are very good and have more time and patience to listen to you.
    There are plenty of medical advances and many kinds of cancers are curable.

Problems come in life but there are solutions too. All time passes whether good or bad; you can pass it laughing, crying or cribbing. Whatever your lot, there is always someone better or worse than you. A bit of humour and a bit of spirituality works wonders.

My silver hair is back in new glory. Previously straight, now it is curled. I have Einsteinsque look. What a fashion journey – from ordinary silver mane to Lady Tathagat and Einstein! Fabulous.

By the grace of god and efforts of Ruchita and my husband RD I am fully fit now. No medication for cancer. A check-up in September confirmed all is well. I was lucky to get good guidance all through and am thankful to all the doctors and medical staff. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful family. May God bless them all.

9 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Mam,

I really admire your endurance amidst such an ordeal which you had to endure. I know it takes a lot of toll not on just the person's health, but on one's mind and has a lot of emotional disturbances associated with it on other family members.

My wishes for your recovery and relapse.

Regards,
    Vaidehi.

2 people like this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You have a remarkable attitude and a great sense of humor. I hope you stay in good health always and enjoy many more batatavadas. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Shobhamma you are an iron lady with practical thinking.your narration about cancer and treatments is simply superp.How many of us have the courage to face the problems with light heart?I admire you madam

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

You have an amazing attitude towards life, Shabhamma. Sounds as you are a sister of our Kamalji. Trying to see the positive side in the worst of situations, facing everything boldly...we have to learn from you.
    May God bless you with good health for many many years.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Shobhamma,

I salute your courage and spirit, which is so clear in this narration of yours. There are millions of people out there who need to hear this story of fearlessness and triumph. It was like listening to mom talking about cancer and her saga. She was recently (last November) diagnosed with breast cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy now. By God's grace she is doing well and healthy.

My best wishes to you...may you have many many more wonderful years of good health.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shobha,

u are one amazing woman. i salute ur courage and ur ability to smile and write about it.When did this happen ? REcently ?
    Two o[perations and 8 sessions, must be pretty hard, and what with hair falling and all that.

i too write about my fight with cancer, i had one operation wehre they removed my urinary bladder, and now i have a bag attached there, and i had 3 sessions of chemo at Tata, each session having 3 times chemo. So 9 times in all .

Yes there are good doctos , and i had a good mediclaim which came in good use, and i was treated in AC comforts, and it was fine.

Hats off to u Shobha, i came back last month from mumbai for my 6 montyhly checkup all went fine, and now it is 4 years already.from next year doc said, it will be once a year checkup.

Regards

kamal

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shobhamma, what resilience and sense of humour. I can't deny, despite the humour, I could not help feeling this anxiety creeping up and feeling as if I had been dealt with a blow in the solar plexus. That was replaced by a tremendous sense of relief when I realized that you are through with this whole ordeal and back to your jolly, bubbly self all over again. What can cancer do to someone with your spirit?

Lagee raho Shobhamma!

1 person likes this.
  9. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Thanks everyone, I did not look up here since morning so an just catching up.

I wrote it to let people know that it is not a killer anymore and processes are available.

kamalji, I was diagnosed in July14. I was operated in a new hospital and a young doctor , but it was just A class all the way. All the young doctors we met were very competent, caring and compassionate. They are all trainees from Tata anyway. The hospital care and nursing was very personal and excellent.

My Chemo was done in Brahma Kumari's Hospital again an excellent place.

We had constraints about going far due paucity of manpower. It was just my DIL and my husband , and it was the year of boards 10th, for my grandson. He did well though passing with 92%.

More than me it was my DIL Ruchita who was brave and was a solid pillar of support, despite her own bereavement. We had lost our son just two months back in May due to Cardiac arrest. I dont know how we could have coped but for her.

My last Chemo was in Feb 15, and since then we went out to Singapore, Delhi and Lucknow for about 6 months, coming back in Sept.

I am fully functional and back to batata vadas!!

The hair took a year to grow back and are better than ever.

Dear Scorpio, I wish your mother a speedy recovery, Actually along with me My sister in law (75) was being treated for breast cancer in Gurgaon. We were going neck to neck for the chemos, both finished in Feb last year. Only thing was she was not operated and she too is well now. She too is traveling.

So it is fate and how much you have to live. Young people go because their time is over. Mine was detected at stage 4, but am still here as my time is not up yet. Que Sera Sera!

2 people like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

YOu are a strong woman Shobamma dear and you have a supportive dil and husband. May God bless you and keep you always fit and healthy. Hats off to you Shobamma, we have to learn a lot from you