1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The First Time

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

“Akanksha, can you present the new utility your team developed in the executive staff meeting on Friday”, My VP told me today.

Since then I am feeling anxious about the presentation. At the same time, I am feeling excited and appreciative of the opportunity. I have presented to the CEO and executives in my previous company. But I was well established there and many executives knew me and had informal conversations with the CEO during management off-sites and quarterly meetings. But in this new company, it is the first time that I am presenting to such an audience, many of whom not know my existence in the company.

What will they think? How will they react? Will the presentation be fine? What questions they will ask? What should I wear? What will their body language be? Will the presentation be long enough to cover the allocated time? Will they interrupt me?
    ……..

So many questions are going through my mind.

I like to do my work silently. I am not comfortable in group meetings, especially with executives in the meeting. I tend to be quiet and can’t speak.

First time always comes with anxiety, excitement, fear, shyness, expectations, and mystery. Yet it always becomes memorable. I started remembering my “Firsts”. My first day at college, my first marriage (and the last, too much sunk cost now:rotfl), my first pregnancy, my first day driving the car, my first day at work, and so on.

I remember I was nervous about my marriage. I couldn’t sleep for days before the marriage. Will everything work out smoothly? Will I be able to stand for long and greet people whom I don’t know? Will I have to leave my parents’ house forever? How will the Vidai (farewell) be? Will I be able to control myself? So many questions and I wished I could stay with my parents the whole life and never marry. But though God’s blessings, everything worked out smoothly.

Even with so many “Firsts”, I still feel nervous and restless. Maybe it is the nature of “First”. May be these “Firsts” helps us to prepare for our ultimate “First” – Death, for which there are many questions that come to our mind. When will it happen? How will it happen? Who will be near me? What will happen to my children, grandchildren, my property, etc.? How will people remember me? What will happen to me after death?

God has been kind enough for me and has always made my “Firsts” smooth and memorable for me and I hope He will help me make the Friday memorable and also my ultimate “First” smooth.

Share you “Firsts” and are you nervous about the ultimate “First”?

11 people like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha glad I am the first here to give the feedback. Super post about first and I will come back later with my firsts. It was interesting to read your post as always and I am going to the finest forum to nominate:)

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Akanksha,

Knowing your planning, preparation, visualization of target audience, past experience, writing skill, passion for what you say, etc., I am pretty confident that you would do just fine in your presentation on Friday.

I had experienced stage fear once when I had to address 100 sales personnel and top executives of the company. To add to my confusion, everyone spoke longer than expected compressing my time to minimum before lunch. I started the talk with a joke about how hunger doesn't allow people to focus putting myself at ease and others. I stopped sharp at the lunch time only to be told by the sales personnel to continue until my presentation was over. Everyone of them stood up and clapped after I finished my presentation.

I am sure you have your own techniques but I would suggest the following techniques for your presentation:

1) Make sure you are at ease before your presentation and don't practice what you are going to say until the last minute. Your rehearsal should end the day before.

2) Make a joke right up front to relax yourself and relax everyone listening

3) Prior to the presentation, visualize the target audience clapping in appreciation of your presentation which increases your confidence level significantly

4) Take good notes of previous speakers, if there are any, and connect with them wherever possible

5) Appreciate the audience up front for their attentive skills making them commit their time to your presentation

6) Have as many colors and interesting pictures in each page of the presentation attracting people to be attentive

7) Phrase a lot of your statements in the form of questions which makes people to sit erect and listen carefully

8) Connect some of your presentation slides to practical things that happened in the company

9) Keep eye contact with the entire audience moving your eyes around to see each person. When questions are asked, address them looking directly into their eyes.

10) Move around, if possible, to make people understand that you are confident of your stuff.

Don't read stuff from your presentation and phrase them in your own sentence. Pause in between your presentation, whenever possible. Use body language as much as possible. Thank for the opportunity to present your ideas but welcome suggestions from the audience.

Viswa

4 people like this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha, good luck with your presentation on Friday. A little preparation ahead will go a long way. I try to live in the moment (most of the time) so less anticipation and less anxiety. My nervous first was driving and driving only. Apart from that I had tough time patting a dog for the first time one and only time. Now accidentally this video popped up on my FB Grow trees and not graves - https://www.facebook.com/DavidAvocadoWolfe/videos/10153329210086512/ - Don't know if its true or for fun!

2 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Akanksha,

On the question about death, I am not joking but truly I have no fear of death. I have faced near death situations at the age of 16, 30 & 43, I already consider my existence as bonus.

By nature, I am a very happy person with a great sense of fulfillment. I have a strong-minded son and a loving wife who are perfectly capable of running their life intelligently in my absence. I am determined not to feel dependent if someone where to look after me if I get incapacitated. I will assume I have earned their love by my past actions. But I will be grateful to them with a commitment to serve them well when I have the next opportunity. If I become brain dead, I have given instructions to both my wife and son to pull the plug without any hesitation.

Everyday, I don't expect anything from anyone nor I feel obligated to do so much. I just do what I feel right everyday. Everyday, I regret my mistakes and feel good about my good deeds. I have realized I have no control over anything except my own attitude towards life.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Thank You Viji Ma. Even though I have said it many times, I can't resist to say it again and again that you are my inspiration. I really admire the love you spread on IL and the way you share your life happenings here. I feel as a part of your family.

2 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Thank you Viswa Sir for the useful tips. I have prepared the presentation. It is an interesting situation. My group has developed a software application to be used by all the product engineering groups including engineering, marketing, customer support, operations etc. The intention here is to get a high level buy-in into the application from various groups versus the existing rudimentary excel worksheet that is non standard and free style. So in a way I have to contrast the benefits of the new application with the existing methods used by different groups. So I have to bring across the discrepancy without hurting anyone and at the same time have What Is there For Me (WIFM) for every group. So I am a bit nervous, what if the VP of different groups become defensive of their current methods?

1 person likes this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Thanks jskls. I am also afraid of dogs. I get nervous when I see dogs.

1 person likes this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,
    Yes ,The first time is ever memorable-success or failure.The first failure teaches us a lot.
    For students who always stand first, switch over to the next rank will be a great lesson humbling them.
    The first miscarriage that puts an end to all the dreams,giving a warning signal about future pregnancies.

the first cancellation of the interview about which you had lot of hopes,
    the first rejection by a girl or boy during marriage proposals,
    the first cancellation of a railway/air trip '
    Mistaking 0.30hrs flight to be the mid night flight of next day and the sense of embarassment when you look small in the eyes of others.;
    the first appointment letter;
    the first birth day greeting card;the first time when you see the new born son/daughter of your own,
    the first time you are ridiculed of your senility;
    the first time you are insulted by your own son or daughter;
    the first death we face in our family;
    the first severe illness affecting our near and dear ones,.............The list is endless.Whether success or failure it is a valuable experience that moulds our charater for betterment and refinement.
    Thank you Akanksha

Wish you good luck and showers of accolades during your presentation.

Jayasala 42

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My own ultimate "First".. I don't know.. When I read about people who die gracefully after a terminal illness knowing they had limited time, I wonder from where they get the strength. More practically, I worry that the increased lifespans will make those years expensive. Death used to be something that happened to "others" until the phone call about dad's death.. was like a kick to the solar plexus (not that I know where that famed plexus lies :) It is now more a 'real' concept. I kind of wish the kids are at least well into college.........OK enough of this First.

The most memorable First remains landing in America. Disembarking, and going down that flight of stairs. Felt like Columbus discovering America. :) For the longest time, a friend called me Columbini, and inquired about the "America."

Then of course, the stick turning pink with my first one, and holding her for the first time. Of late, the first's are taking scary rides, and sports activities. First time Jet-ski'ing was the ultimate test of being the 'cool' mom. :shaking:

Good Luck with the presentation.

2 people like this.