1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Snake and Ladder - Is it a kiddy game? – (Valentine Day Special)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sushi, Feb 14, 2016.

1. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

In our place, it is annual sports time now. Besides Carrom, Chess, Rummy, Fifty Siz (a native card game similar to sort of Bridge) Pallankuzhi (yes - yes) , sudoku, crosswords, we had Paramapadam (Snake and Ladder game too). .. I am not going to talk about how the games were played. I am just going to narrate how even the kiddy game of Snake and ladder showed me the most fascinating moment of life.

It was the day of 'Finals' for Snake and Ladder game when four winners from previous games were to play simultaneously on one board the first and second to reach the top was to be the winner and runner. Mind you, all the four contestants for the finals were ladies as only ladies gave name for this game. Before the finals started, I saw just one male yes only one male Let us name him Mr. Hubby sitting demurely behind his wifey and giving her best wishes. As I was also in the finals, I chided him why he was giving best wishes to only one contestant - but he just laughed it off with without even bothering to wish us all Did I see a blush on his face? . The game started and a s per the rules of the game, one needed to get 'one' from two metal dices thrown together. Two Contestants got the required '1' and started moving up. But the 'wifey' and me were not lucky. Even though it was finals, my mind was not in the game. It was more fun to watch Mr, Hubby and his facial expressions. . Every time she was about to throw the dice, he will close his eyes and pray and when the needed 'one' did not happen, there was panic written all over his face.

Then the 'one' happened simultaneously for both of us and Mr. Hubby was almost jumping,. Each ladder she climbed , I could feel his joy as if he was climbing the ladder and each snake she came down, he was looking as if bitten by a snake. At onepoint of the game, it so happened that all the four contestants were on the top row near the winning post and while the three other than the wifey needed a 'one' to reach the winning goal, the wifey needed a three. Mr. Hubby was drinking a glass of water and she came with a 'one' and his face changed to a panicky look as if to say 'no more one' . Then it happend - she got a two and reached the winning goal and became the winner. You should have seen the hubby - he almost jumped with joy holding the hands of the wifey as if she had won the olympics.It seemed to me that if he had his way he would have shouted 'Eureka' When I saw all he happiness in his face, I realised that heart of heart I was also almost praying for the wifey's victory . Even now I shudder to imagine the plight of Mr. Hubby if the wife had lost the game.

Even though it was just a kiddy game of 'Snake and Ladder; but it showed me that as the couples grew older, the love and bond between them grew stronger. I am sure, if both of them had been younger, Mr. Hubby would have felt emberassed to show his moral support for his wifey. Age brings the couple more closer and holding hands in public becomes the necessity of everyday life. Who says 'Snake and Ladder ' is a kiddly game - it showed me the most beautiful moment of life

Attached Files:

8 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Totally agree.

Can be played at any age and will never lose that essence.

Nice narration, felt like I am watching the Paramapadam game from here. I still like the Paramapadam as that map is really full of surprises and quite an exhaustive task to finish it. I play with my kids sometimes and especially my kids would be upset if they have reached the long snake at the top bringing them back to square one. I will have to ignore that dice number to cheer my kids and ask them to repeat the dice again.

What a nice nostalgia of my younger days? Hence I bought it for my kids as well. They like it as well.

Thanks,
    Vaidehi

3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

What a beautiful write up om a 'wifey- hubby' old couple with a lovely bond! I loved that words-

One has to have a heart full of love for life and others to feel like this. Great!

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That is such a cute narrative and an even cuter cartoon. It says it all. :-D

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Your snippet reminded me of Snake and Ladder or Thayam, my father, mother, grandmother and I used to play. I used to win quickly and then it becomes a battle between my mother, father and grandmother. If my grandmother won, she used to continue her support for my father until he wins. If my mother gets ahead by my ideas and support, my grandmother used to be furious. Knowing the equation, I used to stay out of this family dynamics. Of all, my father used to be the most sportive person.

Viswa

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

How cute! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful moment with such a lovely narration.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

wow, super post , super narration, can understand because I am also enjoying my life in old age. I finished my nominations otherwise would hav enominated the same. Its very true Age brings the couple more closer and holding hands in public important the necessity of everyday life.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Lovely narration.

jayasala 42