1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Selfie Mania

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sugugiri2010, Feb 5, 2016.

1. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

I woke up with the sunrise and scrawled slowly to my grandpa’s rocking chair, My grandma came up with Hot filter coffee and newspaper. Do not conceptualize that Iam being pampered. She cant see the weeny words printed in the newspaper and she wanted someone to read that for her,and the filter coffee is a bribe.

Sipping the coffee I had a glance through the newspaper and asked my grandma, “Amamma , Have u heard of selfie?” She replied, I have heard only about Kulfi and what is this selfie,is it something similar to that? I laughed and she laughed along with me. I sat near to amamma ,took my phone and clicked a selfie and told her this is selfie amamma. “A photograph that one has taken of oneself”

The newspaper read “An 18 year old boy was arrested for taking a selfie with district magistrate” arrested for taking a selfie??? I was taken a back, but yes selfies have created drastic change in today’s generation. American Psychiatric association says addiction to selfies as a mental disorder and people tends proving that. I am shocked to see people knocking door of death as they attempted to take selfies. A recent incident in Chennai, a passenger train ran over a 16 year old boy who stepped in the track to take a selfie. In Mumbai,a girl taking selfie at sea got swept away. India see a rising percentage of death due to selfie.
    Though some moments can be preserved for the future ,I feel people tend to take unnecessary sum of pics which has nothing to do rather than later deleted due to less storage space in device. I am afraid that inventions in new technology are turning out to be a curse for many. A person committed suicide because he couldn’t take a perfect picture of himself. Though we see how people are getting expertise in each field bringing up different talents there remain many people who die for no reason.

Are we not losing our self esteem by posting a selfie in social networking sites.Do we need likes and share to believe that we are beautiful? Are we really in social network to connect each other? Are we not losing the intimacy in relationships? Do we really spend time on each other while on vacation ? are we not missing the precious moments in the sake of taking selfies?

Instead seeing life through the lens of camera, enjoy the best moments of your life without looking out for comments and share. Readers let’s take initiative to stop our next generation from this disaster. Why don’t we start practising to put aside our cell phones daily for at least an hour and spend time with our loved ones?

11 people like this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I read in the papers that more than half the selfie deaths in the world are from India.
    One of them involved people trying to defy the rules of physics and all moving and leaning towards one side of the boat to take a group selfie. That incidence resulted in a tragedy.
    It is really sad.

We recently went to our village and it was shocking to see teenagers taking selfies in the middle of the road,perching dangerously on bridges.

At one point the traffic on both sides of a narrow bridge had to stop because three school girls were busy giggling and taking selfies in the middle .

It is almost like a disease that proves fatal for the most stupid.

Really sad .

2 people like this.
  3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Nice narration. I liked the part you described with your grandma. :coffee

But I didn't know selfies caused deaths. :eek:mg:

Continue with your snippets.:welcome

Thanks,
    Vaidehi

2 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

2 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Selfie- kulfi... :) The grandma conversation part is so :kiss

I am so selfie-challenged... once a friend stood me up for coffee. I had already ordered a fancy colorful multi-layer icecream sundae, with fancy straw, and cherries on top etc. I took a selfie to send...I looked like a circus clown sucking on that straw with puffed up cheeks. Another time, got my kid first bank account, took selfie of me and kid, was in a hurry as didn't want bank guy to say, no selfie just outside bank.. anyway, in that we looked like we just robbed the bank. :)

But, truly, we need to set the example to younger ones on putting away the damned phone now and then. And, less of selfies. I was sitting outside a Starbucks, and two kids came running, and asked if they could take a selfie with me.. apparently they had a fun competition on who would get most selfies with random strangers.

5 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

I am pretty selfie challenged too.Can't fit more than two people.Last vacation my daughter managed to fit a crowd and still manage her best angle pout in.

2 people like this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I wish I too like your grandmother just knew "kulfi" and never heard of "selfie":)

I hate the word "selfie" and all that it stands for. We have become such narcissistic and self absorbed people- all the time looking for validation from others. I used to see people taking pictures of what they bought, what they ate, where they vacationed - all for public consumption in Facebook/ blogs etc.

It used to be that pictures were taken to treasure a memory or a special event and we would take out a album and pour over them from time to time to relive those moments. Not they are taken for validation and "Likes" and compliments from "friends" on FB.

It is years since I logged into FB and even before that I was never active. Moreover, to date, never posted a photo in any social media sites. I have expressed to my friends too never to put up a photo of mine.

The irony of the situation is that all this connectivity in social media has made those that are most obsessed with it, more lonely and discontent than ever.

I am glad that though slowly, people are realizing the physical dangers of such self-absorption and obsession not to mention the toll it takes on our emotional well being.

2 people like this.
  8. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Thanks vaidehi

Yes dear... Too many deaths which are more terrific than what i have mentioned here.one such example is a man shot himself accidentally while posing for a selfie with the gun.

Sure will do.

1 person likes this.
  9. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Thank u Rihana,

laugh1smileyyour ice-cream selfie is hilarious.

10. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sdiva,

Right said.. but i wonder if people had started realizing the danger,wish things get better by time.