1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MY time of sleep

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Jan 25, 2016.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Many a times, I use to tell my daughter as she was growing, Sleep now, if you grow older and take on responsibilities you cannot sleep like you can do now.

Most of you will know it is the truth. It Is very hectic for most of us to get up in the morning, cook breakfast, lunch. Pack the lunch for everyone and then go to work. In between you are the reminder for so many things that the others forget.

Well like all most of the times in this heavy work schedule we think – “my God, how nice if we can get some time to ourselves and mostly to sleep”. So one fine day this is what I did. I decided to have some quite time to myself. Wanted to sleep the whole day after sending everyone out. I called in sick to work, put off my mobile phone.

As usual got up at 5 AM cooked breakfast, packed lunch. Sent everyone out. The time was 8.30 AM. Then thought should I read the paper, but the washing machine rang its beep saying the washing cycle was done. So put out all the clothes to dry. Time was 9.15.
    Ah --- now for that - my time of sleep

I started reading the news paper after which I could sleep. But just as I was finishing, the door bell rang. Wondering who this is I opened the door. My neighbor was there, asking me how come I was at home. So we meet only occasionally. Had to call her in, and had to small talk, make some tea, then by the time she left it was 10.30.

OK now no more thinking of anything else to do but sleep. So quickly go and lie down. But that sleep does not come so easily. So think of reading a few pages of the novel that I did not have time to read for so many days. Then as my eyes start to close, hear the vegetable vendor selling his wares cheaper than the market rates. Should I now go and buy something or let go. As I contemplate whether or not, I am fully awake and go down with a bag and purse. Some of the neighbours are around the cart and I too join them and by the time we finish and I come back it is 12.00 noon

That is what did not happen. Now it is too close to lunch. So watch some TV and famous chat show is on. Gape and watch – very interesting. Then have lunch. The time now is 2.00.

So settle into bed and try to sleep. I might have slept for about 15 minutes when the door bell starts to ring. I try ignoring it because I am not expecting anyone. But it is persistent. Go to the door to see a sales girl selling cleaning material. She tries all her marketing gimmicks. But my anger gets the better of her and I bang the door. I can hear her cursing and going down the steps.

No!! once your BP is up with anger where can you sleep. So just lie down toss and turn. By then the time is 3.00 and “did I not want to surprise my little one with special Tiffin when she came back from school.”

So get up and start the preparation. She comes at 4. Loves the fact that I am at home when she is back.

Then of course the same old routine work of planning for the next day, helping with homework, ironing clothes for the morning and preparing for the cooking.

When my husband is back he asks “What did you do today, did you sleep” I look at him and :cry: :bonk

7 people like this.

2. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Well said @umaakumar.. Typical day of SAHM. When you require a break, also try to distance yourself from the responsibilities / daily chores of the day..

1 person likes this.
  3. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

hahahhahahaa lol...was i reading my own story..:)
    same thing happens with me. i take off from office to sleep and rest as i dont get proper with my younger DD. i get up early in order to send all out and finish work fast so that i can sleep. but seriously on that day i do more work than routine and when i get little time to sleep either mobile will ring or door bell and i cannot keep both of them on silent as im still in world and not out of it :bonk

1 person likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

True, more than anything we long for uninterrupted sleep, which can never be realised.Even if no one bangs the door, no one talks to you and even if you are alone ,sleep is unrealisable .Perhaps that is the curse of responsible women who go on with the chores of planning and execution nonstop.
    Very well written, a replica of daily routine.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  5. ARIKA

ARIKA Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]Well written for a better sleep within the daily chores. I too long for sleep, but I couldn't, because of my work pressure. Daily think of myself at least today noway some disturbances as you said. Despite, cheer up myself seeing my dds after coming home. My both dds were cheering girls made me forget the pressure of daily work chores by singing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If you have to sleep in the afternoon, you have to dismantle the doorbell, lift the phone receiver off the hook and shut your mobile. Otherwise sleeping is not only difficult but .impossible.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Good one .HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  8. skv098

skv098 New IL'ite

super sniffet. all the best

1 person likes this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice snippet Uma. Your snippet reflects many (sleep deprived) of our struggles to catch some zzzz's. Reminded of the song 'kaalamithu kaalamithu kannurangu magale". For me powernap helps a lot.

1 person likes this.
  10. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear All,

Thanks for your reply.

Balajee sir: even if you put off your phones and doorbell, someone will disturb you. Such is the luck when you want to really sleep. Even people who do night shifts and want to sleep in the day have the problem

Regards
    Uma