1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Perception needs to be changed!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rith, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

The year 2015 has gifted hattrick disappointments when it was going to end. To come out of it, we planned a vacation to Hong Kong just for a change to our mind. Me, my DH and DS started for a 3 day trip. Since this is a last minute plan, no major preparation for food even though we know pure vegetarian food is a problem there.
    Day 1 we got lunch from an indian restaurant travelling bit far and managed to adjust with the remaining for dinner. I never expected a goose bump experience in day 2 which I could never forget in my life
    After returning from theme park where we had only pizza and cheese burger for lunch, my hubby and son were desperate for indian food. I asked them to take rest at hotel room where I went down walking on the roads of Hongkong searching for Indian food/restaurant by 10 PM
    I met a guy who seems to look like an Indian; I asked him where I can get Indian food. He asked me whether I am from India. In my mind voice “Am I looking like an Australian looking for Indian food then”, but I replied a polite Yes to him. He then started walking along with me.
    I initiated the conversation “Are you from India”. He replied “No! I am from PAKISTAN”
    I was shocked a bit (Seriously I don’t know why but my hands started shivering). He stopped at the nearby medical shop, asked me to wait outside and he alone went inside. My mind started travelling in different directions and gave me crap imaginations that he gonna buy poisonous needles, knife bla bla bla. After 5 minutes, he came back with baby milk formula.
    I asked him “Do you have kids? Do you live here/ tourist like me” He said “I have a small kid 7 months old and I work in here”
    I explained how my hubby and son are suffering as we are pure vegetarian and we feel difficult to survive with meat smell in all items. He smiled and promised to help me. I got some hope and confidence on him. We talked talking about our family, Mumbai and Chennai on our 10 minute walk and when I was about to cross the road without noticing the signal he pulled my hand back and told “nahi bahanji. (No Sister). If you violate traffic signal you will be charged 1000HKD (hongkong dollars).
    His house is at 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] street. He walked till 10[SUP]th[/SUP] street to take me to a another Pakistani’s grocery shop where I found frozen roti , MTR ready mix, poha and other indian stuff.
    When I told I don’t have any utensil to heat the roti, he offered me a microwave safe bowl for free. I tried to offer some amount for the bowl then he said “It is his gift to his sister”.
    The most highlight part is with much of happiness I offered my hands to convey my thanks and to wish them New year. They both said Namaskar by uniting their hands together and ignored my hand shake. I took back my hands and happy to see those people. Both shared their numbers and asked me to call when I need anything.
    I was super excited and bid good bye and I was about to leave. Time was 10:30 PM. The grocery shop owner asked the other one to go home and he will accompany me till the hotel. Asking his assistant to take care of the shop he left. I said I will take care and will call them after I reach my room. He ignored and said “Its ok bahanji. It gives me a satisfaction. I will hand you over to your husband safely. Cant I do this for my sister?”
    And he came till the hotel entrance and left only after ensuring that I reached in safely.
    I explained everything to my hubby and even he was surprised.
    What sort of perception the world has given us on these citizens. That was the day I realized few things

1. Humanity exists in all countries STILL.
    2. Don’t view the world with what media and other says. Have your own goggles to view the truth.
    3. I don’t know whether I will invite a Pakistani to my home at my mother city and offer such a help to him. But they didn’t differentiate me neither as an Indian, nor as citizen from their opponent country
    So where are we losing the vision to treat everyone as Humans? And more of all I am still searching for an answer, why am I so excited and surprised when I got such a help from Pakistani. And why not when I was offered help by lot of other people. Am I differentiating people based on countries? That’s not fair. Isnt it?

All are friends! All are human! All are helpful!

Perception needs to be changed ofcourse

11 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

You are right Rith dear. Everywhere there are good people. I am also surprised you got help from a Pakistani.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rith,
    Amazing story of good people all over the world. you removed a myth that a pakistani is bad person, etc.

i am touched really to know such nice people exist in the world.
    Regards

kamal

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful experience beautifully narrated dear Rith!

We hear /see/read time and again about not being judgemental and not having any prejudice when we interact with others but certain habits die hard and we have to put conscious effort to come out of it.
    This incident has been an enriching blessing! Life has its way of giving essential lessons to us!
    Stay blessed! Happy newyear!

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rith,

even though good people exit there is also bad around it.I was like you very bold and can travel anywhere at any time.But not anymore.It's very important to use caution in our lives.Even though you are successful that day and not all the days are like that.
    Sisterly advice, next time be little bit cautious :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Of course there are many good people in the world and we all accept that. I have had Pakistani friends in Uni who I have liked. But regardless how much "friendship" there, I know there is always be a barrier - for example if anyone I care wants to marry a "very good" Pakistani, will we be as accepting?

In today's world we live in , I will admit I am hypocritical enough to say that will be anathema to me. That is where I know no matter what I say, if there is skin in the game for me, I will refuse to see any good in them.

But for everything else, I will admit there are plenty of good people of all races and ethinicity.

Sorry OP- your post hit a raw nerve. I just got to know that a friend has been up to no good with a Pakistani much to the distraught of her family. So on a personal level, I realized how hypocritical I am because the whole sordid saga has left a bad taste.

7. iyerviji

I also thought the same Priya dear

1 person likes this.
  8. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@Rith nice snippet.:clap. I too use to have some sort of negative feeling about Pakistan and its people but after knowing about them through some this type of news i have changed my opinion.

If they are enemies to us , we are enemies to them . I always wonder what type of feeling they might be having about the Indian people thinkingsmiley

9. iyerviji

Rith dear congrats, your post is nominated by knbg, actually I also thought of nominating

10. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your fb viji ma. Thats what the lesson i got from that trip and to change my perception

1 person likes this.