1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The human refrigerator

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sumitadg, Dec 11, 2015.

1. sumitadg

sumitadg Silver IL'ite

The human refrigerator

Life after retirement! What will it be like? Will I be able to adjust to a new life, to a new city, to a social life which was practically nonexistent during my service period? Such thoughts kept me awake for a number of days before superannuation. I tried to brush away those feelings whenever it intruded my mind but it continued to haunt me.

After 30 years in Odisha, I was back in my home town Kolkata. The city I grew up in, the city I never wanted to part with but circumstances forced me to leave the city so dear to me. I should have been overjoyed on returning but I felt Kolkata is a stranger to me. Odisha and specially Nalco Township had become a part of me. The very thought of spending the rest of my life in Kolkata was giving me jitters and with a lot of trepidation I put my foot in the house.

The first few days went off in a trance – trying to settle my belongings in different rooms, getting used to the new environment, learning to spend the day lazily, no time schedule to adhere to, meeting my relatives, and the most important and tedious part – changing addresses , bank accounts , etc, etc , etc.

While working in school I had got used to getting up early in the morning. In Kolkata too, the habit persisted. I was also in the habit of getting up at least once during the night. One such night, I had a disturbed sleep and I awoke. The night was still, there was absolute silence all around. Even the tiniest sound was clearly audible. I was trying to get my bearing, trying to understand what time of the night it was. I had an uncanny feeling that someone was there in the house. I could distinctly hear the sound of someone breathing. My husband was sound asleep in the next room and no one else was there in the house. But the breathing persisted. Fear – that’s what my first reaction was. I lay still on my bed trying to locate the source of that sound. I was too afraid to get up and check. My body refused to move. My throat was dry and I couldn’t even cry out. Time ticked. But the even inhalation and exhalation of the person continued. In fact it was now so clear that I felt the necessity to investigate.

With a lot of courage and strength I got up and forced myself to the big drawing cum dining room. I moved slowly from one side to the other, went near the balcony and peeped, took a slow turn once again, but failed to pinpoint the sound. After assuring myself, that no stranger was there in the house, I went back to bed. Next day, I narrated the incident to my husband, but he could not throw any light on it. This happened consecutively for the next few days. Then one morning while I was taking out some vegetables from the refrigerator, I heard the same sound. The measured inhalation and exhalation. For a minute I couldn’t believe myself. I moved closer to the refrigerator; put my ears next to the door. Yes, it’s true. That breathing sound is none other than the sound of the refrigerator. I pointed it to my husband, but he could not hear anything special. I was relieved. My doubts were put to rest. I need not worry that some stranger or even maybe a ghost is flitting in the house.

Rather its sound became so familiar that I never felt lonely any more.

To me, the refrigerator is now like a human being. It’s so called breathing sound gives me assurance and confidence and makes me feel at home. Now I feel , my retired life in Kolkata may not be so bad and there is always someone waiting for me at home to give me company.

14 people like this.

2. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Nicely narrated sumitaji.. Even I have got perturbed by my refrigerator many times too.. It gives a sudden jerk in the middle of the night sending a chill in my spine.. :)..

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Nicely written.
    The plumbing in our building is strange.Sometimes at night it makes strange moaning sounds,like some creature is stuck in the thick pipes ,moving from floor to floor.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Eloquent piece of writing there!

I love the the way you have built suspense into the story. To think that breathing can be terrifying! Enjoyed reading your snippet.

1 person likes this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

The tittle of your thread brought me here. It was like reading a suspense story. Reading your post now in the night for one minute made me think I should not hear any noise like that when I go to the bedroom. You have narrated so well . I have finished my nominations otherwise I would have nominated the same.

Wish you a happy retired life. Before I retired I also used to think how I will spend my days after retirement as I worked for 38 years. But I needed rest also after working for so many years along with bringing up my children.

6. EnglishNotGood

EnglishNotGood Silver IL'ite

Very nice piece. Beautiful narration..

7. sumitadg

sumitadg Silver IL'ite

Thanks everybody. I never thought such a mundane piece can bring about such lovely comments

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sumita,

First thing first. I am sure you would do as well as you did when you were working in your retirement too. It is all about keeping our mind occupied. Being a person who is a few years away from the retirement, not a day pass by without thinking about it. I am planning to load my mind about how I could help people in need as part of the retirement. It is a nicer problem to have with better outcome.

Regarding the refrigerator making a human breathing sound, the mind can play havoc to either make you look for danger or consider that as a company. I am glad that you finally put your mind to rest by considering that sound as a nice company.

Viswa

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting narration. Brought back to me the poem "Someone came knocking at my wee small door ..... I listened, I opened, I looked to left and right, But not there was a stirring in the still dark night ...... So I know not who came knocking at all, at all, at all".

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Even an ordinary incident can b<em>c infused with magic through brilliant narration. This is a classic example</em>