1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The great pre-wedding iq test

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

In ye olde days marriages were suspected to be made in heaven. Horoscopes were matched and it was ascertained whether Saturn or Mars hadn’t trespassed into someone else’s house instead of remaining in their own. The girl was then paraded before the boy’s family like some bovine and the boy’s views were asked. (girls views didn’t matter in that golden age) and if the boy said okay the marriage was fixed between the two families.(Yes more between families and less between bride and groom). It is more about offloading your daughter on someone than about finding a good life partner for her.

Alas, look how things hav changed. In this evil dark age of Kali Yuga.Girls are calling the shots. Hello! moral police! Are you there?

Take this case of a a girl from Agra who booted out her groom just before she took seven steps around the fire with her because at the last moment she decided to set him an IQ test and he flunked badly.

She said “I won’t” instead of “I do” when the chap failed to perform what she thought were some quite simple tasks, according to today’s Times of India.
    The girl smelt a rat, no an entire pack of rats when the hubby wannabe faltered while chanting the mantras. The guy had been touted as a graduate but the wrestling with mantras had aroused her suspicion.

So she asked him to call her on her mobile number. But the groom fumbled with the mobile. The girl’s suspicions were aroused over the claim of the groom’s family that he was a graduate. She challangd him to an IQ test and his family accepted it
    The girl gave the groom some coins . asked him to total their value. But he failed. Then she gave him her touch screen phone but the apps overwhelmed him and she showed him the door
    Now the groom has my full sympathy. What kind of test is that? Is ability to recite mantras at the wedding , adding the value of coins and ability to handle a mobile phone a sign of a person’s intelligence? And I heave a big sign of relief that I got married before the mobile revolution started.

Why should anyone smell something fishy if the groom is having trouble chanting mantras? I know guys with pretty high IQs who wrestle with Sanskrit words as if in a WWF bout. I know one highly intelligent worthy despite repeated attempts by the priest chants a mantra which goes something like adyacha mrudaya (whatever that gibberish means) tried to put sense into that Mrudaya by chanting it as madaya (idiot for the Tamil challenged). I am sure the priest had a sneaking suspicion that this guy was calling him names but kept mum so that he could collect his hefty fee.

As for mobiles lot of intelligent people fumble with them. If the girls I had met while scouting for a bride had tested my ability to send SMSes. I would have remained a bachelor until now. My ability to handle mobiles is limited to receiving calls, making calls on the numbers in the mobile’s directory (I have problems dialling numbers on the mobile. They somehow don’t connect when I dial). My mobile is mainly used for storing music. If you want to have a telephonic conversation with me kindly contact me on the landline. As for apps I had long believed that it was the pet name for appalam (Tamil for papad).

Touch screen!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t believe in untouchability but these gizmos are untouchable for me. Give me my old fashioned Nokia anytime in which you have to painfully press buttons for every goddamn thing. If I touch the screen of an ultra latest mobile all sort of horrific things happen. Not just mobile but someone had the bright idea of gifting me a notepad (Or is it notebook? -not the one made of paper and cardboard but unfortunately the gizmo), when I won a literary competition (What is wrong with medals and plaques these days?). After I had several misadventures with its touchscreen my daughter handles it deftly now.

The moral of the story is one should marry in time and not wait until the telecom revolution takes another great leap forward. Otherwise even if you are a super genius the chances are that you would flunk an IQ test by some suspicious bride if you are not able to race along with that revolution and a big question mark would mar your IQ.

18 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

DEar Balaji,
    Hilarious!
    I can add one more...one girl refused a boy because he has no Facebook account!
    Syamala

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Balajee interesting and hilarious post. Now a days girls dont want to marry , they are happy being single and having a high position in job. They will not the importance of marriage only after they become 50 plus. Earlier girls parents used to search for a boy but now a days boys parents go in search of a girl. Now a days noone wants to recommend also anyone for marriage

One of my relative's daughter is 40 plus and single, they started looking out for her from the age of 25 yrs , she wanted a boy with good education and high post better than her but could not find. Noone blames the girl but their parents and the girl was saying why blame her parents when she is not interested . After hearing everyone's story now she doe snot want to get married. She tells her mother the poojas you do gives me promotion in office but not in life

Hope I have not written anything wrong

This might not be a feedback apt to the tittle but thought of posting about the present condition

2 people like this.
  4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

Thanks for making my day..:rotfl

I too had been through a typical arranged marriage. Mine was stranger to even believe. Both myself and my dh had never even uttered a single word and marriage was fixed. To add to this my dh did not even know what my education or work etc at all. I had a strong belief in God and the concept of traditional marriage and that belief has never let me down.

WOW..IQ test :idontgetit:..I would have failed as well, right laugh1smiley..You don't need an intelligent person to be your life partner, you need an understanding spouse to live with and share your journey of life..

Values which had come down through parents, grandparents and extended family are deeply ingrained in me since young and I had never thought in such a way..Every single soul on earth has a special attribute and that has nothing to do with IQ. We should never look down upon any soul just because of their lower educational or socio economic status. That is my view and I am wondering how drastic the situation has changed nowadays.

I had always thought education, career is something everyone needed and that too had not thought about the higher levels of career. Everyone will have to go through those phases of life. But to check IQ instead of checking the basic characteristics of the spouse is absurd. After all what is the guarantee that the highest IQ guy would be of an adjusting character with regards to marital life. If we start looking at that way many would never get married in this janma at all.

:eek:mg: The world is changing at such a fast rate..As you told kali kaalam thaan..

Regards,
    Vaidehi

4 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Nicely written Balajee!

I read the news in the paper today.
    I think the girl was within her right to refuse to marry an 'illiterate' person.Specially if the marriage was arranged on false information. The guy could not tell the difference between 69 and 79.Could not count beyond nine. 'mentally unfit' was the word used.
    There is not a lot that is under the girl's control in a marriage...atleast basic information on which the marriage is based should not be so false.

That this had to happen at the wedding ceremony is indeed sad for both the bride and the groom.This should have be done during courtship after engagement.Unfortunately for a huge majority of young people in this country,courtship,meeting before marriage etc is unthinkable...hence these 'mandap' dramas that we are seeing so often.

I feel bad for the poor groom too.I wonder how much hand he had in giving information regarding his education qualification.Most times,the bride and the groom are not even aware of what data is being circulated as their biodata. The grooms family most likely gave false information to get a better match and other 'benefits' of marriage.

A funny bit of news item for us readers but probably heart breaking for the bride and the groom.

7 people like this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Shyamala things are moving I wont rule out that possibilit.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viji true. Girls prefer their independence to being tied up in a marriage. Nowadays with couples pursuing their careers marriage often goes for a toss, Girls are also uneasy about increasingly unstable relationship within marriages. So they are very wary about tying the knot.

1 person likes this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Vaidehi arranged or love marriages both have an eq​al chance of success or failure. It all depends on the parties involved. That your marriage worked despite the fact that you knew very little about each other before marriage speaks a lot for both of you.

3 people like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The fault also lies with the girl's family that they agreed to the marriage without checking the antecedents of the groom and inquiring about him from his neighbours friends etc.It is surprising that a girl who was intelligent enough to test the groom's intelligence agreed to the marriage without really knowing about him until she sat with him in the mandap. True there was no courtship . But this is not urban middle/upper class India but the backwaters of Uttar Pradeshj.

2 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Thank God I got married before the revolution in technology. The way things are going with technology, we will get outdated pretty quickly. What in case, the spouses demand continuing IQ Test and relevant continuing education to renew the marriage each year?

The way my son looks at how I handle my computer, tablet and smartphone, gives me an impression that I look like a tribal wearing full suit. Repeating after the Sanskrit mantras are getting increasingly difficult for me while the amount of rituals I need to do is increasing day by day thanks to my inlaw's ritualistic family. Now I have my father's and father-in-law's anniversary each year. Besides my wife is very fond of Agadesi Rudram and what not?

Last time, when I was told "Pracheena Vidhi" an instruction to reverse my Poonal, I repeated after the priest. My wife got very mad at me. What to do? These priests have so many engagements and they like to finish all their commitments in a hurry.

It is time for the new brides to ask bridegrooms to solve a few image puzzles in our neuron thread to say "I do" or "I don't".

Viswa

3 people like this.