1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

People succeeding at the cost of other's misery...?:-(

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by generic, Dec 3, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

ILites please excuse me for writing such a loooong post..I am venting out to express my feelings..

This is a topic that has been on my mind from a long long time and I wanted to put down my thoughts now...
    I know there is lot of competition among everyone to succeed in life..but rather than working hard, I have noticed many cases where people are dominating and putting others down for their benefit..that too from a young age..

Few real life examples are listed below:

1. During my high school days, one class mate and friend of mine used to consistently score highest marks in exams and top the class...
    Once, I ended up getting more marks than her in a couple of subjects..she, who was otherwise nice to me got angry and jealous, went through my answer scripts which were distributed in class (without my permission), and then went to the teacher and told her that I have scored high marks by cheating in the exam..
    She thought that by doing so, my marks would be reduced or that my results would be nullified or that I would have to undergo disciplinary action and retake the exam, so that she could continue being the topper..
    Fortunately for me, that teacher was a very good and nice lady, she knew I had not cheated and dint believe the accusation..
    she just gave me little friendly advice and sent me away..But I became a lot more careful of that girl after that..

2. In junior college, that is +1 and +2, there were 2 girls who were quite studious and focused..they consistently did well in all exams and inter college events
    and it seemed like they would succeed in getting admissions in premier institutions for professional degree courses after 12th std..
    I knew them personally..there were many guys in our class who were jealous..they couldn't focus on college as they had distractions like drinking, smoking, partying, girlfriends, etc..
    One of the topper was kind of good looking and cute..One of the guys started making romantic gestures towards her, and he started stalking her, like writing love letters, staring at her in class, following her even outside class,
    repeatedly proposing to her and threatening suicide if she doesn't accept etc..that too during the second half of the year when exam prep starts..
    At first she ignored. Finally she could not tolerate it any longer and complained to faculties, family members etc..
    Then they counseled the guy and warned him. But the damage was done..the mental anguish faced by her made her score average marks in final exam.
    I know for a fact that the guy dint really love her but did it to trouble her only. In fact he forgot her very quickly once he came to know his strategy din't succeed.

3. One more girl who was a topper was targeted similarly..Many people, girls and guys started spreading bad rumors about her character and behavior..
    So skillfully that the source of the rumors could not be traced..Her reputation was affected and few lecturers developed personal bias towards her targeted
    her personally by reducing marks and reprimanding her unnecessarily..Everyone was required to submit a project which would be considered for final assessment..
    She had worked really hard on the project and submitted on time..but one student stole it from the faculty room to trouble her..only hers was missing.. due to these events she was upset and did not enjoy college life..she was waiting for 12th std to finish so she could be rid of this.
    I know her personally and she is of very good character. She dint deserve this.

4. I was working in a company sometime ago and it was a pretty hectic project with long hours and tight deadlines..
    that was when I was going to become eligible for promotion..I badly needed a raise so I worked for long hrs..more than 10 hrs..I used to wake up at 5.3 am , do cooking, home chores etc..then stay in office from 9 am till 9 pm doing the work,with just 10 mins for lunch and 5 mins for coffee break.. I finished work ahead of deadline, accurately , was prompt in giving updates and maintained good professional relation with all.
    But I could sense that few of them disliked me for some reason..they would come to office late , spend 1 hr in cafeteria eating breakfast, coffee break for 1 hour, lunch break 1.5 hrs..evening snack cum coffee break..in between phone call break 1 hr..effectively they would work for 3 hrs and not complete their allotted finish work on time..
    They cleverly manipulated their team roster and made sure that maximum workload came to me and very little went to them..They used to call in sick every 2 weeks or so and during their leaves their work would additionally be dumped on me whereas no one would cover for me when I took leave. They hid important documents from me, manipulated important information, excluded me from important discussions, etc..
    They also bad mouthed me to the boss and told him that I am incompetent and useless and do not do any work and having bad attitude etc..
    He was influenced by them..and even though I projected my work well and gave the results for everyone to see, the boss either took credit for my work or he gave credit to someone else for my work, then told the HR not to process my promotion or raise, instead he promoted a girl junior who was junior to me..
    After all this the word spread around and no one agreed to give me any assignments..Since no projects in my city, I either had to leave the job or relocate to a far away city which I couldn't due to health concern and family reason.
    Finally I lost the job.

I met a mutual ex colleague who knows me and them..he told me that 2 of them got out of turn promotions and 3 of them are enjoying traveling around the world due to onsite opportunities..one of them got selected in 1 of the top companies in the world with a hefty salary package..
    all of them are getting around double or triple the salary package that they got previously..they were among those who put me down.

I still dint get job, and I was thinking , is this the norm in today's world? being successful and happy making others miserable?
    What about those who are hard working and honest and sincere?
    How are they able to face themselves in the mirror knowing they have spoilt some other person's life?
    Do they ever repent / regret their actions?
    Does Karma ever catch up with them? i.e, how are they able to be happy after troubling others, do they suffer any negative consequences of their actions later on?

Just feeling irritable and venting..
    Kindly give your views on this..

2 people like this.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

So many views and no replies???notdonesmiley

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

hi generic,

I can related to everything you said, as i am also victim of jealous, its me.. me.. type people, at every place and every step of life. At Post graduation and all work places I faced it, I overheard my women colleagues mocking me and laughing, they thought I went away but I was filling water bottle near water fountain. (How much jealous they were, to do that. That time my work was going well and several emails were sent praising me by our boss, as that pieces of work was assigned to group , all were researching individually same things. At that time all colleagues did some thing or the other to show their displeasure, it went for 2-3 years. ) One lady colleguage couldn't stand me. I can clearly see it in her face.

I think people do this, may be they think with out doing like that they can't survive in this world. Groupsims, as a group they form and give hard time to some one who as a single person doing successful.

Also we have so many things like if tall, strong, male, good looking, white etc person we accept them as good or want us to lead.

If a small petite women , living life with confidence lot of people have problem with that. if she is a leader lot of people can't accept that. She doesn't belong to our group, how come she/he is surviving here.

So much is there to write. it is a kind of bullying, they fear what will happen to them, if this person does good.

Neighbors in India also did this spreading rumors along with maid. as I don't sit and gossip with them and I let go the maid as she was not coming on time and stealing stuff.
    If we are little different than them they do this.
    Also among that group itself they do like this to one another,
    I see young kids as small as 5 years picking similar things like this groups , bullying, talking ill of other etc,

sindmani, CoolPie and generic like this.
  4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

@KashmirFlower..yeah I can also relate to incidents mentioned by you..these days I can find even young kids bullying others to suppress them and become the best..Among adults it's even worse.
    If someone wants to succeed by hard work and smartness it's ok..but so many cunning people are moving ahead in studies and job after doing wrong and unethical things to harm and put down their class mates/co workers etc...Like stealing projects and study materials, making someone get into trouble by making false accusations against them....spoiling a person's character and peace of mind which can affect their future..using their power and influence to make sure that another person doesn't stay in the team long enough to get promoted...harassing others unnecessarily and insulting them in front of everyone so that no has respect for the person anymore.
    So i often think if there is any value for honesty and hard work and sincerity these days? How do we teach future generations about right and wrong when these bad influences start at such a young age..those who use unfair means to become happy and successful, do they suffer later on in life for their bad deeds or not.....

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Generic,

Short answer - yes, such things do happen. Karma does catch up, though not due to 'karma' but because: "You can fool some people all the time, or all people some of the time, but not all people all the time"

The incidents from high school and college - are part of life. If you get back in touch with majority of the folks 15-20 or 25 years later, you'll see that 'life in not fair' but life is uniform about not being fair. : ) Thanks to FB and whatsapp etc, am in touch with past classmates etc., and it all mostly evens out.

Work place hard-work getting abused by lazier colleagues who talk more work less: big known problem. Is part of every work culture. Indians, and more so, women, tend to think work will speak for itself - that is ingrained in us. For many it takes time to learn/realize that they have to constantly showcase their skills/abilities and contribution. And networking plus being in (slightly) good books of superiors does count. How to implement these without becoming like one of those only-talk-no-work kinds is a balance that comes with time.

Happens practically everywhere that the hardworking but quiet kind can get overshadowed and sidelined. If everything else is going on fine, and there are other personal milestones, and little life's victories happening, then, such things are easier to take in stride. If not, they acquire a magnitude not worthy for them.

After having dealt with my fair share of these, my motto now is 'this too shall pass', 'thick skin, please', and 'don't get mad, get even' and one line that is based on the current signature of JAG (justanothergirl) - The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long but it Bends Towards Justice.

I get the feeling from your recent posts, that there is a justified 'why me' and 'when will this phase end' kind of thought... (maybe I am wrong)... either way, try to google two of my all-time favorite poems, and stick them on the fridge, mirror, screensaver etc:

Comes the Dawn ~ Veronica A. Shoffstall
    Desiderata ~ Max Erhmann

They've seen me through some bleakest times.

6 people like this.
  6. Sun18

Sun18 Gold IL'ite

Yes, Kaliyuga is as such only. I can accept to little extent the first incident you wrote (since its happened at young age - so it can be forgiven) but not the other three.

Honesty - according to me, no body is honest in every aspect of their life - and can't be too.

But harassing, dominating or in any way of disturbing others is strict no-no.

Let these baddies live their poor life. You should take these opportunities in a positive way that more good things are coming to you than the earlier work.

Always be positive. Without being positive and confident about one's own self, we can't survive in this world and we can't be that honesty ones as well.

Everyone of them would be paid for their acts - whether positive or negative, if not now but surely later in their life (present life itself). This is the universal law.

All you need to have now is patience and courage enough to sit, look back, improve and explore new opportunities.

Wish you all the best for new job with better people around. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Yes, there is value in my opinion, honesty, self discipline, empathy etc are eternal values. We should practice this all the time in such a way that there is no other way of living.

parents and teachers are important, kids spend most of the time, they have to be role models by following these. Teachers should teach, it is not about marks or winning, it is about learning, participating, that should be the spirit. there is place and resource for everybody in the world, we don't need to be in a race comparing with our surrounding people i feel, if we do that we can only reach certain level, if we work hard and improve ourselves all the time (not just work or education, but spiritual , art wise), we can reach our high potential. If we are satisfied with what we do, we don't feel jealous I feel. Kids should know that kind of fullfillment from inside. Materialistically it will never be satisfied.

Also kids need to know how to stop these bullies, by being strong, going to them and confront them, if needed report to teachers or bosses. It should start early and they learn from parents so we need to be strong, should not take crap.

When we were young our educational system and parents didn't teach all these, so we are becoming victims , my parents did not made us ready to face society I feel.

Don't know, but they are suffering now, with jealously, no peace of mind for them always. No fullfillment or satisfaction within for them for sure, they don't know what it is, as u said some went to other countries, doing tours etc, there also they are comparing with others and becoming jealous, playing politics etc. so where is peace for them?

sindmani, generic, iyerviji and 2 others like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice post, KashmirFlower.

I meant to touch on this in my feedback. I also feel we were let loose into the world a little too innocent in worldly ways. : ) Not that our parents or elders or teachers did that intentionally.

I do my bit as a parent now - show/tell my kids that grades matter but not too much, do your bit in a team, do more too, but know how to gently/tactfully highlight a slacker, how to be kind but still stand up for oneself, how to highlight your abilities and share your opinions/ideas - comes harder for the quieter kind of kids.

9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

@Rihana..yes. I have also agree that in corporate scenario, it's not just about how we do the work but how we showcase it...But it should work from both ends..if the higher-up, i.e managers and leads are competent and reasonable and of good intellect then only they can give the due credit to the employee who has done good work...

.In the first company which I worked I had worked for a boss who had very high standards and was strict..but when I worked hard and gave updates and showcased my achievements the boss and team lead accepted and appreciated me at least in the team level..

But many a time higher ups lack basic decency and civility..in the next team in next company which I worked the bosses, senior boss and team leads disliked me from the beginning and they were biased on a personal and professional level. So they used to continuously harass and criticize me everyday and tell me directly or indirectly that I m useless and should not be in the team... Left me out of important info and documentations..When I did all the work allotted on time, adhered to deadlines, took new initiatives for improvement etc they used to either ignore me or mock my ideas when I gave a demonstration on it or give credit of it to someone else even though I presented as my idea, or told me that I could'nt possibly have developed it as I'm useless and do not have good attitude etc..They outright told me I should not be there in the team, also spread the word around to spoil my chances of joining some other team..this is outright bullying and harassment which I could not save myself from.

The same thing happened to 1 more guy who was a brilliant developer..But within 1 month of joining the team he was disgusted with the situation and joined some other company.

I guess we need to be thick skinned and develop special kind of skills to deal with such a******s from a young age itself so that we can stay calm even in adverse situations..

I was a little too innocent as a kid and gained worldly knowledge only after I crossed the age of 18 or so..should not make that mistake with kids when I have them.

And yes you are right I'm going through 'why me' and 'when will this phase end' kind of thing..
    Being a home maker gives me time & opportunity for personal reflections you see..:)

3 people like this.
  10. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thanks...I need to gradually bring in positivity into my life..:)

1 person likes this.