1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

gold

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by surekhap, Nov 30, 2015.

1. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

As all the women i also love gold ornaments. But the recent times the chain snatching cases which i have witnessed directly and some in the news channels had developed a strange aversion to wards gold.

Last year I was standing in my balcony and just observing the people moving across the street. It was 4:30 pm . A nearly 40 year lady with a black saree with a heavy haram (haram was shinning with balck background) just passed my house with a pooja thali in her hand. (she might be going to the temple just two streets away) Just she have walked to the end of the street and i turned my head to see some other people around. Then the lady came running , screaming and crying aloud . After that we learnt that two young bikers have snatched the haram and escaped into other street. This was the first incident i witnessed.

Just few weeks back we (family) were waiting at a signal in our car. two people in a bike crossed our car by breaking the single. It was the most rush area in our city . Then a young man came running and chasing the bikers. . They have snatched chain for the man when he is busy with his cell phone. They were never caught. This was the second incident that i have witnessed.

After this two incidents and a warning by a police man in the morning walk that strictly no gold jewellery when moving alone , it became little uncomfortable to me to move out alone with any gold jewellery.

When coming to the news there was an incident of chain snatching infront of the CM's house in new Delhi. The two bikers who were standing at the end of the street told police man that they came to meet the CM when they got the opportunity they snatched the chain in front of the police and just escaped.

A women's death case in Coimbatore who feel out of a bike when two bikers snatched the chain from her neck when they are riding have developed a type of fear and aversion towards gold.

Then what is the use of gold if we can not wear it. gold is now not a choice of investment due to fluctuating rates. Then I gave good news to my husband this Diwali. "No gold Please". For me Life and mental peace are more important than falls prestige .

4 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Yes surekha why risk losing the gold and your life. U r very practical.

1 person likes this.
  3. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the first feed back sir .Yes sir i don't want to risk my life and also my peace of mind with the tension while iam carrying jewellery on me or with me.

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

True Surekha dear now a days wearing gold has become dangerous. Here also near temple there was chain snatching many times. They know that South Indians wlll wear lot of gold so they are near the Temple and snatch the chains. So now a days I also wear the artificial pearl chains made by me and feel happy that many people appreciate and they want me to make for them also. Even for marriages only sometimes I wear gold chain. Now a days rold gold chains look like gold and people cant make out

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Surekha,
    In Hyderabad the ladies who go for morning walks are the worst victims of chain snatching. Many used to wear artificial chains but what is happening is the chain snatcher doesn't know if it is fake or real. He would know only later when he goes to sell. That is making them even more angrier. So, now the scene is that many are wearing beads mala....which even from a distance it can be seen. So, coloured beads are the in thing.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Even artificial chains in gold colour should not be worn.My friend was snatched of her covering chain.Two days later the same fellow followed her and thrashed her for having cheated him.In Madras there are many women robbers who have the knack of snatching the chain at the time ladies get into or get out in haste.
    In Madras there is a new method of theft.Normally senior women are the victims.They warn the women that there is a lot of theft and it is advisable not to wear the ornaments and keep it safe in a paper and keep it deep inside the bag.As the woman removes her chain and packs it a paper,within a fraction the jewel will change hands and the woman will be shocked to find a paper with stones in her bag.
    Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  7. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

It is better to safe. Better to wear trendy modern jewellery than gold or covering. It is better to wear them only for certain occasions . Robbers know that even the mangalsutra alone would fetch them heavy amount. That is why old ladies who are sentimental about wearing the mangalsutra wearing it are victims.

8. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@surekhap
    I like simple gold jewelry.In USA I didn't heard about Chain snatches cases till now but keeping gold at home is not a good idea here too.
    I agree with you about situations in India and you took right decision.

9. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the feedback vijji amma .pearl chains are the best idea I have seen all your creations i like them all. We can also match the colour beads with the saree of dress we wear that will give a nice look too.

10. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Yes shyamala madam morning walkers are the mostly victims of chain snatching as the traffic and moment of the people will be very less in the time that make the situation easy for the snatchers .

Yes colour beads mala is the best idea which we can match with the saree or dress which will give nice look and also no risk or tension of losing gold or life.