1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conditional Marriages

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Recently while enjoying a humorous talk show on the TV, I was taken back when an eminent person belonging to the film fraternity whose talk till then was sprinkled with humor suddenly took a serious turn.The cause was some one from the audience asking his opinion about young girls of marriageable age, putting unreasonable conditions before marriage.I could feel the speaker's BP rising when he shouted at all those invisible young women,putting silly conditions at potential grooms, due to which many eligible young men were made to wait the long quueue for the D day. "When are you girls going to get married,in your 60s or 80's",he roared and thumped his fists in anger. Seriously it was a serious issue,no laughing matter.

The star of the talk show pulled down those potential women brides for taking such disastrous decisions (which I felt was taken in their own interests) while they were in the process of choosing a partner . He said it was those conditions which broke up alliances right at its nascent stage.He asked all the young men eager to tie the knot,to wake up from their lethargy and to put an end to such nonsense even to the extent of cancelling official engagements or marriages.For the viewers this show was all the more dramatic with a good deal of cheers and some emotional tears thrown in between.tsk!tsk!

I remember my 70 year old grand mother carrying my horoscope, walking to the potential grooms house in the hot burning sun, in her worn out Hawaii chap pals,hopping and changing three buses to reach their destination only to be told bluntly that the alliance was already fixed. Not even the basic courtesy of offering a cup of water or a few kind words. Many times I stood speechless at her pitiable plight but mad as she was in her search for a groom for me, she ignored such indignant treatments and moved on to her next target. Why nobody shouted during those times when even basic courtesy norms was thrown to winds, when parents of eligible girls were made to run from pillar to post,just to finalize an alliance.

Years have rolled on and there are no more girl looking boy rituals, like presenting the girl in traditional attire along with sweet,Kara,and coffee,asking her to do catwalks, prostrate before everyone including the boy, make her sing songs - in fact nothing a self respecting girl would have agreed to do. In fact she was treated more like a circus artist rather than a lifetime partner. All the tamasha at the cost of girls side including the train fares if the boy and his family resided in other part of India and all this in return with a simple postcard announcing the regret in finalizing the alliance. Dark complexion,lack of good looks, poise,charm,family background,poor financial status,these were simple excuses to turn away a girl. Her good education,her scholarly attitude, her impeccable character,- valuable things which enrich life in the long run were just brushed aside. If the alliance turned positive, there were fish market bargains like dowry,a pair of diamond studs, diamond ring for the groom, 50 or 100 sovereigns of gold,swanky car,apartment, bank deposits? Even a daytime robber would have looked more decent!

There are a number of young married woman professionals-doctors,engineers and their likes who are forced to chuck their jobs at the insistence of their husbands when it comes to taking care of their kids.There are many women who have to fight for their rights for helping out their siblings in their studies financially or help their ailing parents by taking over their medical expenses, issues which have caused serious rift in marital relationships.

So what if a girl puts conditions that she will continue to work even after marriage or will help her parents financially? There may be a handful of men species who respect their wife’s altruism and support her wholeheartedly, but many of them are ready to chop her wings in her pursuit of freedom to do what she wants.Just one look at our great film actors will show how deep their bias is against women getting back in to their profession post marriage .

The present generation of girls are well educated and have a mind of their own.Their independent financial status with an excellent job gives the extraordinary courage and confidence which the girls of the previous generation lacked. Now the tables are turned and it is the girl who is seen giving orders and conditions.So what is the big deal? Why so much of hue and cry.

The day when every woman is recognized for her education,talent, courage, confidence and self respect by her husband,in laws,and the society,that is the day when any marriage can survive. Marriage is an unwritten contract between two individuals where the individual private space should be respected and adhered. It is not the quantity of years spent together between the husband and wife but it is the quality of relationship -where a woman is respected and treated with concern, shown genuine warmth,compassion, where she has the right to choose her friends,pursue her hobbies and where she is not used as a door mat or a sleeping partner.Amen!!!

sindmani, Sinant, Shisaa and 16 others like this.

2. StrangerLady

StrangerLady Gold IL'ite

Excellent write up, gave me goosebumps.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Obviously, when the tables turn and the boot is on the other foot, there is bound to be a hue and cry, because their interests are no longer served the way they were in the past. Nobody likes to lose an advantage - even an unfair one at that! BTW, which programme was this?

sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

What a powerful post this is to express women's rights to determine and pursue the life of their choice. It is this kind of confidence expressed in the form of freedom of speech that has the potential to change the traditional habits of conservatism. If the women don't stand up for their rights, who will?

Education, professional experience and upbringing makes them feel confident in choosing the life each one of them wants. Therefore, it is important that the parents give them enough freedom to express their views freely and clearly. Very nice post and thank you for presenting your views in this forum.

Viswa

sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

very good and nicely written.

You have gone in length to discuss the issue.
    Thanks for writing the thread..

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful post. You have clearly represented the views of every girl in the marriable age.Now slowly things are changing.Any change, for that matter may not be accepted initially.Definitely changes are visible now.
    I fully agree with you that there is nothing wrong for women to exercise their rights. They are equal in every way.
    But certain indecent expressions like " the boy should not carry' luggage' with him-'luggage referring to the boys' parents -have to be avoided.This i hear very often when marriages are being finalised.There needs to be a decency on both the sides when they begin their life.It is hoped that the present day boys and girls formulate among themselves a self imposed discipline among themselves before tieing the auspicious knot so that a congenial tone prevails.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Girls' side had to endure lot of disadvantage, and even humiliation, in time gone by. Now, with education and financial independence and awareness, things are changing, as we have seen in the past 15-30 years. True. And such change is welcome. There is now less disparity in who has the upper hand during bride/groom hunt and wedding.

But, that does not mean it is payback time, or the current generation of men and their families have to pay/make-up for past injustices.
    Silly, unreasonable conditions and one-sided arrangements are not to anybody's long term benefit.

It was not so lopsided as being portrayed. A man had to have some education and earning ability. For example, prematurely bald men did find it harder to get married. Man who smoked or had alcohol, even occasionally, could find it tough to marry in certain communities. And, man with many sisters or responsibilities did have to make some compromises in bride hunt. A 10th-fail girl can still hope to get married, while a diploma holder guy may get passed over for a graduate.

This is a husband-wife issue, and up to each family how they manage it. Some basic not-written-in-stone understanding on these before marriage helps.

Men also can have to put up with long face or displeasure from wife if they help parents or siblings after marriage.

Can the man also put conditions around his continuing to work or is it assumed that he will always work to provide for the family?

Again, to work or not, when man or woman take a break from work, who takes care of kids, are personal decisions each family takes as it suits them. Some uniformity in views of husband and wife regarding these helps. The actresses who quit acting after marriage is a wrong example. In that industry, and equippped with that capability and independence, if a woman is quitting due to pressure, then, nothing can help her.

That is such a silly argument. We are talking about marriage and a lifelong relationship, not about compensation for past social wrongs. Any time only one side is giving orders and laying down conditions, nothing happy comes out.

That is true. And applies to both sides.

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mahavid,

I was very apprehensive about putting my views about this subject, bluntly in this thread, but your first comment of appreciation wiped away all my fears. thank you!

1 person likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

In these days of growing intolerance I am scared to name the person who gave this talk,a person who belongs to the powerful circle. I have just put down my personal views and experiences which I have gone through many times in my personal life, combining the views of the actor.Thank you for your feed back.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishva,

Believe it or not, I am a married well educated 60 year old woman, meek and passive by nature. This meekness led to situations where I was bullied throughout my married life. It was my daughter who opened my eyes, and now I have learnt to lead a happy marriied life with my dignity intact.