1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Thankful

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Nov 25, 2015.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks giving - Every thanksgiving children here remember the American history of early settlers (that goes only 400 years back) Pilgrims coming to New England in MayFlower and landing on Plimoth Plantations and starting to build their lives from bare minimum they had. It was the celebration of their first harvest. Corn, Cranberries, Pumpkins, apple pies all had made it to the indian tables too! It’s when the holiday season starts and gift of giving begins.

Our family has adapted to this tradition without a turkey though! A time for reflecting our blessings and being thankful for all the wonderful and not so wonderful things that happened all year. A time to meet the families too! Yesterday when I was picking up some items from the grocery store, I had left a crate of water bottles in the cart itself. Later when we went back looking for it, the man who was ringing bell at the store entrance collecting for Salvation Army, had given it to the store and also told us to collect it from inside. I was reminded of “Seyyaamal seitha uthavikku” Kural meaning - The gift of heaven and earth is not an equivalent for a benefit which is conferred where none had been received… and today I would go back and definitely donate it to a noble cause.

Recent Chennai floods (that never made local headlines, leave alone being global) had left many stuck in island, without electricity, food or water for more than 5-6 days. It’s more than 15 days kids went to school. There are so many sad stories of electrocution and all that makes me think that we have lot of things to be thankful for. Thankful for our family, friends and everybody who makes our lives better.

Our children used to say
    “ Brahmarpanam Brahma Havir
    Brahmagnau Brahmanaahutam
    Brahmaiva Tena Ghantavyam
    Brahmakarma Samadhina” before every meal when they were young and somehow that habit died. I am thankful for all those who hurt me too, because without them I wouldn’t have learnt love, patience or forgiveness.

Apart from all the above, I am thankful today for this wonderful platform that has brought so many of us together where we care, share and learn too! There are so many topics that I read silently and observe how well they are written and/or the essence they convey with great meaning. I wonder at some topics where many agree to disagree and the maturity in each one of their writings. Some topics are expressed clearly while some provide in-depth knowledge to enrich us. Some where they exhibit their talent in arts/crafts are amazing. There is so much in one single platform. The recent thread got firing my dead neurons even in my sleep. I am thankful to that thread owner and other neurites who keep the thread interesting. I don't think it would be easy to see one site where it caters to various interest groups. I am sure IL had made many (million)lives better. Thank you IL.

Would love to hear your stories too! Happy Thanksgiving folks….

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
    19 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

jskls, can I get you a vowel for Christmas? : ) My reinvigorated yet old neurons sometimes misspell your member id.

You've echoed my thoughts from start to finish in the snippet. The writings of many inspire, make one think, agree, disagree, the arts & crafts made me restart my own humble yet soothing art forays, and of course no words enough to describe impact of neurons thread.

We also skip the turkey part, but do some celebration around the spirit of the holiday. My kid was getting a bit picky about one meal choice, and I gently gave him (and myself) the talk: "We are fortunate to be in a position where we go volunteer in kitchens, we go to store and buy soup cans, and are not at the receiving end."

Thanksgiving has evolved over the years for us. Used to be all meet in one house, and the non-vegetarian folks pretend the chicken is a turkey... now most have kid in college and are busy with visiting kid... we have adapted... now meetings are in smaller groups. Sometimes outside. I think it is nice to celebrate a holiday without being bogged down by all its essentials such as an elaborate meal and travel. : )

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

4 people like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear jskls,
    There cannot be a better tribute IL than the one narrated by you.Very many thanks for nice correlation.
    No doubt,IL has given us a great platform to share and care,to appreciate and resent,and have taught us how to agree to disagree.
    Has made us really rich in thoughts,meaningful interpretations and reformation of many wrong concepts deep rooted in us.
    Thank you IL.
    Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @jskls for the wonderful snippet. The great thing about IL is that even in this relatively small community, you will always find a few like-minded people to share your passions with. There is something for everyone here. It is the only place on the Internet where one can find a uniquely Indian perspective on all things -- even puzzles! :) To all my neurite and other friends on this forum -- Thank you for all the good times we've shared!

4 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear jskls,

What a great snippet this is! This snippet of you showed your tender heart that is ever grateful to the Lord and the fellow beings around you. Your following the tradition of Thanks Giving to thank many is a great quality itself. Even now, we say Brahmarpanam before eating, in the spiritual center before serving food to the fellow beings and when serving food to the homeless. Sharing what we have is caring and your leaving water bottles for the needy is a great act of compassion.

My heart goes for the Chennai people who are suffering due to the flooding and primarily because of the greed of the flat builders who never bothered to respect the earth when developing colonies. It is time, Chennai people start thinking about growing trees and learn the techniques of retaining the ground water. Wasting so much of rain water is unacceptable. So many lakes and water sources have been destroyed to build residential units allowing no catchment areas for water source.
    More than worshiping everyday, people should know how to protect the planet.

You are so right about IL and I have personally learned so much after coming to this forum. A separate thread for puzzle, to learn English, to share life experiences and thoughts, arts & crafts, relationship issues, poetry, book lovers, beauty, fashion, health, parenting, food, culture, entertainment, hobbies, etc. in one place is extraordinary. One can pursue whatever passion he or she has in this single forum sharing their thoughts and experiences with friends from all over the world. Most importantly, the interaction with the members, informal and cordial setting, helping each other, sharing ideas and thoughts, etc. are extraordinary.

It is a great time of the year to thank Malathy, Jay and many other moderators who help this forum thrive every single day for many years. Let their journey continue along with more and more members for many years to come.

P.S.: Next time, kindly choose a font color that is more suitable for many of us to read. A tired retina that is 62 years old find it hard to read this Aria/Oriana/Lyraa special font color.

Viswa

7 people like this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @jskls,

A beautiful way of summing up a year, on 'Thanks giving Day'. The very act of remembering and thanking those who have shown love to us enhances our personality and character and fills our heart with happiness.

DD, you have done it beautifully. Let me join you in thanking every member of our family, the IL Family for all that we received enjoyed interacted, laughed and cried. A huge world in a lovely forum!

Thank you for providing an opportunity to remember and thank.

4 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear jskls,

What a lovely thread. I really love this practice of thanking for all that one has received, for the food one eats. It makes one live more thoughtfully.

As for me:

I am eternally grateful for having been given the parents I had in this lifetime. If I could have a say in the matter, I would like them to be my parents in all lifetimes to come.

I am so grateful to have the food on my plate, the roof over my head and decent clothes to protect myself.

I am grateful to have a spouse who allows me to be myself and accepts me for who I am.

I am grateful for the beauty of Nature which is mine to behold and enjoy.

I am grateful to be able to help whomsoever I can in whatever capacity I can and pray to be able to touch as many lives as I can, so I can make my existence in this dimension as meaningful as possible.

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of you.

4 people like this.
  8. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Dear jskls , first of all i would like to thank u for the beautiful snippet and also for the opportunity you gave us all to express our gratitude for the people those who made your life easy and happy.

my first thanks goes to the almighty for this wonderful life.

my sincere and loving thanks to my parents, my life partner, my grand mother who were always there to care for me, to refine me all the time.

I would like to thank all the peasants who work hard through out the year to provide us with food.

I would like to thank the military people and the police man who dedicated their lives for our protection.

I would like to thank all my friends both virtual and real world for all the support and love they have shown.

My special thanks to IL for adding lots more happiness to my life with all good people, opportunity to learn many things.

Happy thanks giving friendssmiley dear IL friends.

7 people like this.
  9. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Nice Snippet , jskls.

I am thankful to God All Mighty in all forms who is acting through people, oppurtunities, for a wonderful life that I am enjoying.

I thought of copy pasting one of my favorite Verse from Thirukkural and its explanation by Tamil Scholars.

அதிகாரம்/Chapter/Adhigaram: செய்ந்நன்றியறிதல்/Gratitude/Seynnandri Aridhal 11
    இயல்/ChapterGroup/Iyal: இல்லறவியல்/Domestic Virtue/Illaraviyal 2
    பால்/Section/Paal: அறத்துப்பால்/Virtue/Araththuppaal 1

குறள் 110
    எந்நன்றி கொன்றார்க்கும் உய்வுண்டாம் உய்வில்லை
    செய்ந்நன்றி கொன்ற மகற்கு

Transliteration
    Ennandri Kondraarkkum Uyvuntaam Uyvillai
    Seynnandri Kondra Makarku

மு.வ உரை:
    எந்த அறத்தை அழித்தவர்க்கும் தப்பிப் பிழைக்க வழி உண்டாகும்; ஒருவர் செய்த உதவியை மறந்து அழித்தவனுக்கு உய்வு இல்லை.
    சாலமன் பாப்பையா உரை:
    எத்தனை பெரிய அறங்களை அழித்தவர்க்கும் பாவத்தைக் கழுவ வழிகள் உண்டு. ஆனால், ஒருவர் செய்த உதவியை மறந்து தீமை செய்பவனுக்கு வழியே இல்லை
    கலைஞர் உரை:
    எந்த அறத்தை மறந்தார்க்கும் வாழ்வு உண்டு; ஆனால் ஒருவர் செய்த உதவியை மறந்தார்க்கு வாழ்வில்லை
    Couplet 110
    Who every good have killed, may yet destruction flee;
    Who 'benefit' has killed, that man shall ne'er 'scape free
    Explanation
    He who has killed every virtue may yet escape; there is no escape for him who has killed a benefit

Happy Holidays !

Regards,

Pavithra

3 people like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

jskls dear a thought provoking snippet of Thanks giving. Actually when you posted I wanted to give the first fb but was busy with something. Then after reading I was waiting for the December nominations to be opened to give my first nomination. Luckily I saw Cheeniya Sir opening the thread and glad I could nominate your thread.

If I have to thank I have so manypeople to thank in my life because of whom I have been successful in life and now leading a peaceful life because of God's blessings though there are problems in between. Like today I was worried about my husband who went out in the morning at 9.30 a.m. or so and came back only at 2.30 a.m. I did not ask him whose house he is going so could not contact and ask also anyone. His mobile I only have to charge which I forgot , otherwise also he does not use much. Now also evening he went at 4 pm. as there is a death, was going to meet someone and go but fifteen minutes back that friend said that he did not come they went and came back. Thanks to the friend atleast he told me after two and half hours that he did not meet my husband and made me worried. Now till he come sworry for me. Sorry I am just writing this only to say morning I was thankful that he came back with God's grace and also I had asked one uncle , he phoned back to ask whether he came back. Yesterday I was very happy because of Karthigai and today God is telling dont be too happy.

I have to thank God for giving me a loving parents and siblings , a loving and caring husband who is a gem of a person and loving children. Thank the aunty who admitted in school because due to financial problem we could nt study and that too without fees. Thank the teachers and students who were loving and caring, once the teacher asked the students in my class to contribute for my dress. Thanks to them. Thanks to my best friend with whom I became friend since 1957 and still in touch . She was a rich person but a down to earth person with whom I used to go to school in her car from 7th to Xth std. We used to study togehter. Because of her I studied Typing and got a job as a Typist. Thanks to my bosses because of them I got promotion as Steno and Senior Assistant, though I had just learnt stenography but not given exam , I did not know accounting but still got promotion as Senior Assistant in charge of Bank Reconciliation. Thanks to all my friends in the office who were helpful in one way or other.

Thanks to Jey and Malathy for this wonderful site which is like a family and could make friends with so many here, so many have become my daughters, so many I have met in their place when I went to their city and they have also come to visit me in my house. There are so many forums from where we can learn by others threads and also through feedbacks. Everyday we are learning here . If I am enthusiastic and energetic I owe thanks to the friends in this site because its because of their inspiration and encouragement I am able to do something.

P.S. Just now I received a call from my husband saying he has just reached the place where he has gone for death, thanks to the person's son who told my husband to call me, otherwise I would have been worried.

Sorry for the long post

5 people like this.