1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Driving with Meena!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Nov 18, 2015.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

I took a short road trip with a favorite niece of mine yesterday. In her early twenties, she is everything that I am not. Young, hip-hop and adventurous, she is also ridiculously smart. She munches on Math for a snack and sips on Science for a drink. Poor child…she has problems that way but all her brain power turned to unrecognizable mush yesterday after 3 hours with me in a car.

I am an excellent driver. No one can say otherwise. Safety is the name of the game when I am behind the wheels. If your self-worth is somehow tied to your ability to beat others, get in your car and drive by my side. There are days when you can get off your car and walk on the road and still be faster than me. A sure way to boost your ego, I tell you.

Seeing the gap between my car and the one in front of us, my niece turned baffled eyes at me yesterday and said “Chithi (aunt), do you realize that there is enough gap here to fit an entire continent?” to which I smiled proudly and nodded. Unsure of the next move, she asked gingerly “How do you feel about stepping on the gas Chithi?”

I have a feeling that this particular moment will be etched in her memory forever. In fact, I bet she is lying in a bed somewhere this very minute wondering what bad karma put those words in her mouth that opened the floodgates of my unsolicited wisdom.

And she won’t be lying in a bed with her eyes closed, I guarantee you. She will be staring up at the ceiling in a trance-like state. How can I be so sure? Because this is a genetic gift from my Dad to all of us. Whenever we put on our thinking caps, we tilt our heads upwards towards the ceiling and just stare. It is as though we are imploring the powers above for some divine assistance. The truth is none of us have mastered this art of staring at the ‘mOttu’ like my Dad. We try but we just don’t seem to have his dignity.

Rambling back to my niece’s question, I opened my mouth and let the wisdom of my age spew at her. And I mean it when I say spew. Like empty-your-guts kind of puking. In no uncertain terms, I made sure that she understood the value of a human life and how much I value mine in particular. I even quoted from Swami Chinmayananda thanks to listening to my husband's many glorious "Hurray! I got THE call; now let me help you get ready for yours" spiritual discourses. Hope I did him proud when I continued asking my niece questions like “Where do we have to go in such a hurry?”, “Will the world stop revolving if we are late by a few minutes?” not to mention, the quintessential ‘Will it be worth it”? What little wisdom my 4 molar teeth gave to me, I wanted to imbibe in her.

As the official navigator, at one point she told me that I should move to the right lane to take a different road and I had 4 miles to do it. I was in a frenzy to do it right away so she said "No hurry chithi, you have lots of time". So now I had to explain how it is better to do things ahead 'just in case'. I quoted eloquently from the life of my Dad who made us all go to the railway station and wait in the platform several hours before the train would come on each of our vacations. And he always said 'Just in case' too. I even remember helping the janitor sweep the platform sometimes.

With her ears profusely bleeding from my ‘thy shall not drive faster’ and 'thy shall prepare ahead just in case' lectures, she was exhausted and put her seat back and closed her eyes in exhaustion and slipped in to a painless sleep. That left me and my restless mind all alone on the I-95 corridor behind a wheel. I did what I usually do to entertain myself while driving. I started singing but I decided to give my niece a break at last. After all, I recognize pain when I see it. Switching from my usual boisterous aka obnoxious voice, I went to a softer rendering of a krithi in Varali ragam. I really didn’t mean to put talam while singing but one thing lead to another and before you know it, my voice had risen to dangerous levels and my niece woke up to find me waving my hands in all directions and singing at ear drum-piercing decimals. When she looked around, she found that other motorists, after one look at me, were slinking away from us clearing the road ahead for our journey.

All except one. This guy was behind me for a while, I think. When I woke up from the coma of singing, I realized that he was tailgating me. Seriously? Tailgating me? I decided that I shall deal with it swiftly and with a vengeance. My niece was afraid now as I am notorious for my temper. ‘Chithi, what are going to do?” she asked in fear. My face contorted in fury, I looked at her and said “No one tailgates me and gets away with it. No one. (I have always wanted to say that.) This is how we deal with it. Watch and learn M”. And then I changed lanes and gave way to the other guy.

Yeah, that is how you deal with it. Now let me see how he tailgates me. That should teach him to not mess with the likes of me. Hah! :biggrin2:

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hilarious Meena. I am sure your niece must be thinking about the experience. In the place where i live, the traffic is so slow that one doesn't have to consciously drive slowly or carefully and there is no escape from tailgaters.

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Meena,

I have to be honest and I am not exaggerating but even before I read the snippet I knew I was going to enjoy this ride with Meena! Now don't go and tell this to your niece. She is sure going to go "More chithi-likes?" Little does she know we are all moms and moms drive the way we do, exactly like you said. Okay some of us drive minus the singing part and getting rid of that tailgater, simply brilliant. Oh my your tenet
    is followed very diligently by yours truly much to the irritation of my DH. Well, I have my side too and I remind him every single time how much I dislike people who take a last minute turn or an exit.

Now I understand why the traffic looks so good....after all moms like you and me are there behind the wheels, making sure....well whatever we make sure.

4 people like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Haha that guy must be the reincarnation of Aurangzeb. No ear for music. Anyway, thanks for revealing to me the power of music. Never knew it could clear traffic. I think traffic authorities in India must try that with some desi Cacafonix..

5 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Meena,
    Enjoyed reading. Laughed and laughed. I saw myself (except music part)...I am an "in case" person in every aspect. Going to station or airport or for that matter anywhere, even to wedding receptions we are the first to be there. Cooks would still be heating stuff. I know the bank opening timings but not the closing time because I am always there in the first 15 minutes of Bank opening time. Including preaching teenagers to be cautious. As Sabitha said roads are still safe because of drivers like us.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. candyy

candyy Silver IL'ite

I enjoyed driving with you meena.

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A happy drive, Meena!I think many mothers sail on the same boat ( of course car) but not capable of such a lucid humorous narration.Many oldies like us start sufficiently early just in case.....
    Last time in 2012,our 'just in case'became a reality.The power supply was cut off due to some major cable problem.That day was our travel to US.The flight was at 23.10hrs.While the sun was shining we locked the mottai madi, bed rooms and back doors.We took care to switch of all the lights and fans and kept all the boxes in the front verandah just before 4 o'clock in the evening.
    My husband is always branded as 'mun jagrathai munuswami'.The next generation, my son does packing and everything in the last minute and rushes to the airport.Fortunately he has not missed any flight giving no room for us to give lessons.

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Meena,

This is typical Meena back to her form with her usual sense of humor. I have learned today the correct way of getting rid of someone tailgating me. Normally, I slow down a lot to irritate the person or speed up to move away.

Eating math for a snack and science for a drink. I need more of this category to activate my neurons. You have taught me today a great skill to clear the traffic in front and thank you. I can do it better as I have not learned carnatic music formally.

In one of the spiritual retreats, a speaker advised all of us to start early, drive slowly and arrive safely instead of being late, drive at break-neck speed and be dead on arrival.

If I ever come to your place on invitation, instead of requesting a ride from you, I will hire a cab. Thanks for cautioning me ahead so that I don't waste my vacation on the road.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  9. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @meenasankaran,

I always play the role of your niece, where as my DH is just a shade better(?!) than you in ," Thy shall not drive faster" and' "Thy shall prepare ahead just in case". So my first son never enters the car if his dad drives. His rule is "Thou shalt always keep your passengers thrilled clinging for their lives". My DH gently avoids joining him as a passenger with mutual appreciation of US and Russia on Syria. I am the one who have to keep smiling (grrrrr) whenever any one of them drives.

Enjoyed driving with you, Meena!

3 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meena,

You made me laugh till I cried this morning. I can totally relate to that 'drive safely' and 'just in case' scenario.

As for your niece, my heart went out to her and I could vividly imagine the scene as if I had been a fly on your dashboard!

Rest assured that your niece shall not stop loving you any for all that you did for her. What are Chittis for other than for loving dearly?

1 person likes this.