1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why do We Write?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Oct 21, 2015.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

National Writing day is Oct.20th.

There are so many excellent writers in this forum. Some write to share their intellect. Some like to share and discuss spirituality. Some write about politics while sone write about day to day happenings. Some share stories that has moral values while some share real life incidents. Some share the beauty of nature while some write to improve readers vocabulary and knowledge. Some write to help others with their problems while some pen poetry. Some write to express their frustration while some write because they care. Some write to share their problems while some write to provide solution. Why do we write?

I write to express my thoughts. It could be a poem or simple incident. When I write I feel like I am talking to some friend that shares all my burden or happiness. Sometimes when expressing my thoughts or experiences I see the world with a different set of eye or arrive at a solution to a problem. Sometimes it is therapeutic and healing to me.

I like to read others writings as well. It could be about family values or handling relationships or ever entertaining creative arts too!

Please share your experiences on writing. Why do we write?

11 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi jskls,

What a lovely topic! Did not know there was a day for writers. :-D Why do I write?

I write to fill in the empty hours of the day constructively. I write to share my thoughts and the little 'events' in my life with all of you here. I write to read your perspective on my observations. I write to fulfil my creative needs. And then, sometimes I write just because. :-D

5 people like this.
  3. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Laks,

Now this is a nice topic...like Satchi mentioned I had no idea too that there was a "Writing Day".

I write poems to express my thoughts, dreams, emotions etc etc . Sometimes I pen for no reason too. For me it's like venturing into an unknown place that belongs just to me, where I have no fear nor inhibitions. I can be who I want to be, do what I want to do...that's the joy and pleasure of penning poems.

3 people like this.
  4. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

nice topic jskls . even i am not aware of this writers day. thank you for letting know.

Why do I write?

I love to write. share information, discussing issues in the life, show case my simple abilities, and mostly if you speak about IL i like to interact with max no of people .

1 person likes this.
  5. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @jskls for sharing an information on a day for writers.
    I write to make people happy, feel, share my experiences, my knowledge, to gain more friends, to encourage people, to improve my writing skills, to express my gratitude and so and so on..According to me verbal discussions fades away with time. But anything is writing provides a deep place in heart..

2 people like this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

jskls Nice topic.I want to pour out my emotions which make my heart free of burden.sometime share information which could help others.when i get aversion about the politicians i write my opinion here becoz no one will come to my house and attack me.Totally writing gives a peace of mind.

4 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear jskls
    Honestly I love my interactions with you all more than writing. People may even get alarmed by my lengthy FBs! Your categorisation of writers is interesting. I tried to see if I fit into any of them and realised that I did not belong to any category. In my case, it is more a question of 'What do I write?' than 'Why do I write?' I have this consolation though. Rambling is not writing and so the 'why?' and 'What?' do not worry me at all!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  8. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

Lovely thread!!!
    I used to write small poems when in school but school never gave appreciation. The writer in me went to comatose. After hitting upon IL somehow the comatose writer woke up and I started penning down stories etc.
    I like to write because my mind is a big wanderer, it sees a situation and starts building stories or scenes around it. Wish I could pen all. gigglingsmiley

5 people like this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam jskls,
    You have chosen a great topic on National Writers' Day, not so conspicuous.Writing which we have taken for granted, different languages ,different scripts we use to express our ideas were not formed overnight.
    More than 'why do we write', 'how do we write is a greater miracle.

Writing underwent nearly six evolutionary processes till it reached the present stage.

What is this civilized thing called writing? Modern linguists define writing as a system of human communication by means of conventional, agreed-upon signals that represent language. The signs must be capable of being sent and received, mutually understood, and they must correspond to spoken words.

Contrary to a popular belief, writing was invented not once but possibly as many as six separate times, in very distant places. Man approached writing by lengthy stages: the development of speech; the invention of pictures; the need to reinforce memory by storing information; the realization that pictures could be used for purpose; and finally, the difficult trial and error process of adapting pictures so that they represented the sounds of speech.

While early human beings took nearly 60,000 years to evolve from sound to speech, 10,000 years to draw paintings for communicatiom,another 25,000 years to draw markings,he has taken just 3000 years for further refinement from pictoral representation to linear or curved representation to the present day alphabets. Always development is unimaginably fast in later stages as observed from present day communication.
    All our writings and lingual representations are of a very recent origin, so to say.
    Now coming to 'why do we write',

trauma, and unexpected life developments — such as diagnosis of a serious illness,a car accident, or a layoff — can throw people off stride emotionally and mentally. Writing about thoughts and feelings that arise from a traumatic or stressful life experience — called expressive writing — may help people cope with the emotional fall out of such events.some people write out their emotions and throw away.

Great novelists had wasted tons of papers that were used as fuel, before one of their articles got published in a journal.Not like the present day, where whatever we scribble reaches thousands of readers the same time.

Expressive writing appears to be more effective for people who are also struggling with ongoing or severe mental health challenges, such as major depression or post-traumatic stress disorder.

Those who wrote about some trauma experienced personally or by their close relatives or friends are likely to gather more mental strength.

Writing also seems be a cure for conditions such as sleep apnea, asthma, migraine headaches, rheumatoid arthritis, HIV, and cancer and helps people who are stressed chronically as caregivers to adults.
    How may of our writings induce head ache in others is another point of view.'Delete' and'remote stop' is ready with us.

Anyone writing about their thoughts and feelings before appearing an exam or interview seem to fare better..
    But be careful.While finding relief to yourself by writing, don't trap yourself into conflicts.Spoken words can be refuted.Written remarks would stand as testimony.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear jskls,

I am not one of the greatest writers by any means who has a great command over the English language nor my subject-matter expertise is at a level to research more and more to discover what could I write about.

1) It helps me develop my thoughts with better clarity

2) I write to verify and validate my thoughts on right living. When I write something and receive responses, it gives me even better clarity on the subject

3) I also write to communicate and interact with fellow beings that gives me a great sense of fulfillment

4) I learn so much from the responses I get from the IL members

5) Lastly, writing with no expectations trains my mind to accept reality as is.

Viswa

2 people like this.