1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What a grandma longs for

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Oct 14, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

What a grandma longs for
    --------------------------
    It has never been my ambition to write poems like Tennyson or Wordsworth, but I wanted to enjoy the happiness of a five year old absorbingly stringing beads one after the other.I was well aware that“Being a mother is learning about strengths you did not know you had;and dealing with fears you did’tknow existed”Was it too much for me to have liked kids because they are highly imaginative,curious to the core and do things for sheer enjoyment?Unfortunately we were caught when recognition for career women made its appearance.

My loving MIL was there to look after the children. We had servant maids for extra help.Yet we missed many a precious milestones in our children’s lives.I could not enjoy the pranks of my daughter;I could not enjoy how my son crawled after a maravattai( a two inch long multipede) and was trying to put it into his mouth;I could not appreciate his doing pooja just like his father;I could not enjoy his cricket commentary in his own language; Their activities brimmed with energy never enchanted us;

Neither we appreciated the false tummy aches nor the real pains our children suffered from,as we were in a hurry to keep breakfast ready and pack them off.We either cooperated with their conspiracy for absence or yelled at them unreasonably with the single motive of early compliance,though unwillingly,by children.We have been threatening,rewarding,abusing all at one time.

In the process we missed the bushy hair and chubby cheeks of our own children that drew the comments and envy from all others.We missed the wonderful opportunity of how our children reacted to the admiration,shrinking their eyes with a silent smile hiding behind some one.I missed the opportunity of seeing the role played by my son in fancy dress competition,dressed as 'crop thalai kanakam mami' in traditional iyer madisar style.,holding a multiholed laddle and a large murukku in his little hands.I could not take leave as Central office inspection was on.We practically did nothing but to feel guilty and transfer our anxiety to children.They somehow grew.

Fifty years are over.Children are settled well, mostly abroad.If we were granted any wish by God,we would like to see our children back as five year old kids ,to hug them to our fullest satisfaction,allow them to shout at their maximum,to listen to their grievances, to answer them patiently just to get rid of the guilty feeling.Another golden opportunity!We are blessed with grandchildren.

We thought we had forgotten all about baby care. But our arms remember to hold and bathe the baby.We thought we forgot to sing or tell stories;but our tongues remember.We thought we have become too old.But surprisingly we are able to climb into the loft to keep or drop down the toys then and there.We are awaiting the broad smiles that may bridge the gap between us.We can take small steps with the child,talk in their language,pick small pebbles, draw funny cartoons with crayons and fulfill all their desires.We can wake up for hours,entertain them with lots and lots of tales,buy tins of ice creams,drink and dance with them, play all the fun games.Hugging, kissing,tickling and giggling liberally allowed.Now we have the time to spare, mind to devote and money to spend.Through them we can peep through the future;through us they can rewind the past.

But alas! Is it a dream?Luck has slipped out of hands.We can have a brief darshan of our grandkids only through skype once in a while at their discretion.Virtual grandmas cuddling with virtual kids

I see a small card held in the tiny hands of my grandson.Card is visible on the monitor.My grandson is pestering me to read.Tears blurring my vision, and with choking throat I read in a feeble voice.“Grandma holds our tiny hands for a just a little while ,-but our hearts for ever”.

Now the meaning of the words “ Life is what happens to you ,while you’re busy making plans”(John Lennon)becomes clearer to me. 50 years back our profession no longer defined us;nor did our motherhood.We were just two pieces never transformed into a meaningful WHOLE. Were we mothers?Are we grandmas?Neither for sure.We are simply oldies by age.But who can prevent me standing at my doorsteps waving hands to all the kiddies passing through our lane when the school starts in June?I can silently watch the little fingers holding their moms’hands,some hugging their mothers getting assurance for the next day’s ‘NO SCHOOL’.An experience, I missed.

Who can stand in the way of my enjoying their innocent smiles in exchange for a hug?“ We can do no great things;but many small things with great love.”-Mother Teresa.

Jayasala 42

sindmani, Arunarc, iyerviji and 8 others like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya maIt was a touching snippet. Why am I reminded of this song "Poove poo chooda vaa entha nenjil paal vaarka vaa..." I felt very sad reading your snippet. You are such a knowledgeable, accomplished woman. When I read the part where you saw the card on Skype, my eyes were wet.... Grandparents are integral part of a a child's life. Children will definitely have loving wonderful memories of their grandparents. We all do whatever we can with the best of our knowledge and ability in raising children, managing family and so on. Never take the guilt trip. You have shared your longing to be with your grand children and on the other hand my children do not have the privilege to enjoy one set of grand parents love .... vindaiyaana ulagam ... vichitramana vaazhkai... I wish you could spend more time with your grand children in the near future !

1 person likes this.
  3. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@Jayasala42 madam thank your for this snippet. I was a bit unhappy that I have chosen to stay back with the kids instead of choosing my carrier .After reading this snippet I better understood what I have gained from my decision . I can make my carrier even now but i would have missed all the moments with my children.

Feeling lightened from the thoughts.

Yes, as mentioned we first leave the children for our carrier later children will leave us for theirs. we can hardly get time to enjoy the motherhood. more than a mother, a grand mother misses their grandchildren. My parents will be waiting for my kids holidays so that they can spend some time with the kids when we visit them. Even children learn many things from grandparents. My grandmother was my best friend I use to spend a lot of time with her. but my children are missing that privilege as we stay away from our parents in the name of work .only 15 to 20 days per an year we can be with them.

4. jayasala42

Dear jskls,
    Thank you for your first feed back.Very recently my son with DIL with kids were here. We spent a nice time for 40 days. With a child every day experience is precious. That particular day with the specific event will never come back.It does not relate to me alone but to all the grandmas in general.As working mothers we didn't concentrate much on children.As grandparents we have necessarily to be away.
    We know fully well that after 12 or 13 children want to be of their own and get into'identity crisis' as a part of adolescence.After the period way of dealing with them has to change altogether and there is likely to be a distance though bound by love and affection.

jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

Dear Surekhap,
    Thank you for a wonderful response.You have taken a good decision of being a 'stay-at-home'Mom.
    But every one has to take decisions according to circumstances. In those days'work from home' was not possible.Even today only I. T. jobs can be done at home. Teachers,doctors,Bank professionals can never do that.taking too long a leave also was not feasible for fear of transfer to other cities/districts.Once we left the job, the career was over.We could never dream of starting our career again.
    Many argue that children will be with us at the most for 4 or 5 years and afterwards they spend the time mostly in school and may not be with us at all. But psychologists say that the first 4 or 5 years' life is very very important in a child's life and full growth of brain is over by 5 years.That is the period when mother's presence is absolutely essential.
    Not that all children of stay at Home mothers are the best in everything and those of working mothers lack in certain things.Being not at home during day time may be compensated by spending quality time in the evenings.But mother has to forego her rest, readjust her schedule sometimes at the cost of her health.9A. M to6 P. M-an absence of 9 long hours in a day is too much for children. Elders can talk of 'quality time'.Mothers can even prepare minute wise schedule for evenings and keep it up. But children do not bother about'quality houra'. For them'amma's presence in the house for ever is the most psychological satisfying point.They may play in the veranda throughout even without caring for mother.But the joy they experience on Satuday afternoons, Sundays and hoildays ,smiling countenances definitely speak of their mind. Children may not cry, may not weep when mothers leave for office and expect her to return only in the evening,may not give any disturbance to grandma.outwardly they seem to be very matured which is not expected at that age.
    I think the topic should be 'what the kids long for'.
    World is changing. Motherhood has to be redefined.We move along with the tide.

jayasala 42

sindmani, satchitananda and surekhap like this.
  6. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Dear Jaya amma,
    Another touching snippet from you.
    I personally feel, if you are financially covered, a girl must be with the kid for first five years. I quit my job and am super happy about it. As you rightly said, everyday is a delightful experience. I write down these memories, so that I could read them and cherish when I am old :)
    And being a grandma is even more enjoyable as you have more of pleasure and less of responsibilities. You need not bother about which school to send them to, which activities are best for him etc but still share the unconditional love, teach them from your experience and play with them kindling the child in you. There is a proverb in Tamil "Asal a vida vaddi mela than asai" (More than the principal, interest attracts you more) I have my FIL and MIL at home and together we all enjoy with my 2 kids.

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks for your nice response.What you say is quite true. Grand parents' enjoyment is ( except under exceptional circumstances) is a free entertainment without much botheration.Lucky are those grandparents who can reside with their children/grandchildren as a well knit family.

Jayasala 42

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Your description of a mother's introspection about the missed opportunities stunned me as I was able to complete relate with it. Luckily, my wife was a home-maker and enjoyed every bit of those precious moments. I was traveling international missing those precious moments forever.

I read a story about a son asking a question, "How much you make in an hour, dad?" Dad though irritated responded, "I make $100 an hour. Why?" Then the son asks, "Can you spare me $50?" Dad obviously very irritated by the line of questioning asked the son to go to his room. After some time, dad felt bad about his small-minded attitude towards his son. He went to kiss his son at his bedroom only to find his son wide awake. "Here is your $50" said dad. The son with all happiness reached out below his pillow and took another $50 bills. Dad got very irritated why his son was asking money when he already has some with him. Then the son explained, "Can you have this $100 and spend an hour with me?" This story brought tears into my eyes.

Sometime back I read a FaceBook wall telling that "When we are young, we have plenty of time and energy but no money. When we get to the middle age, we have plenty of money and energy but no time. When we get older, we have plenty of time and money but no energy".

No one can prevent us from determining the work/life balance and in fact, most people suggest that work/life balance is essential for a healthy and prosperous career.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts with us.

Viswa

Note: I am glad that I reached a milestone of 5,000 posts by responding to this wonderful post.

2 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear JS Ma'am,

what a touching snippet. I could almost see my nephew and niece growing up all over again in front of my eyes. It brought back the fresh pain of not having any really little babies growing up around me, with whom I could play and laugh, whom I could cuddle and kiss. Where are all the babies? Unfortunately, in today's era, one is scared to approach anybody's kids for fear of how it would be received. I really miss the days of close social ties with family, friends and neighbours. Life has changed and we just have to accept it.

1 person likes this.
  10. jayasala42

Dear Viswa,
    A wonderful response as ever.Your narration of $100/ emphasizes how a child is longing

for the company.Whatever decision we take, there will be some positive and negative impact .We have to compromise one or the other.Perhaps those grandmas surrounded always by children may long for a break without children.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.