1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Full Circle

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Oct 13, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Life has come full circle. Had this fact hit me in my face again this evening. I was leaving work and heading home. Suddenly the thought struck me that the original foodie in me (who was 2-3 decades younger) would be craving to go and hit the stalls for some pav bhaji or samosa or chana bhatura or misal. Here was the present avatar, a very toned down, sobered version heading home with thoughts of an early, light dinner at 7 pm. :eek:mg:laugh1smiley What a comedown in life! I could hear my mom admonishing me for eating too much of spicy stuff and warning me that I would not understand her then, but that I would remember her words when I was older and was suffering from the consequences of all my gastronomic indiscretions. I heard my aunt cringing at the mention of Kolhapuri masala - the spiciest thing since Bhoot jholokia - and making deregoratory comments about my tastes in food. I heard my mil 15 years ago complaining that BH and I were eating out too much.....and then.....:spin :boo::bangcomp: horror of horrors, I witnessed my own mind recoiling in horror at the sight and thought of the youngsters chomping away on pizzas, burgers and all the evil fast food that the human mind has ever conjured up. OMG!!! One more sign of the passage of time and torn off and discarded pages of God knows how many calendars!

The sound of all those voices out of the past brought out the indulgent self in me with the thought that 'this was their time in life and the age when they could digest stone; so they should have a go at whatever their taste buds fancied. Time would alter what their bodies asked for'. Having said which, the concerned me only hopes that they would manage to indulge their cravings without destroying their own bodies.

Who said an idle mind is a devil's workshop? A fully occupied one still finds the time - yes, even that fraction of a second - to worry needlessly about matters that do not directly concern it. My mind is testimony to that fact.[/JUSTIFY]

sindmani, kaniths, surekhap and 8 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

First thing first. Your mind is evergreen with full of energy and enthusiasm and no one will understand when you talk about then at my young age and now at my age....., etc. This is the first time I am hearing about a lady getting older.

As far as food is concerned unlike career, people move to greener postures as they get older. If a man builds his gut based on three-tier architecture/n-tier architecture making a pregnant lady pale in comparison, it is time to look for greener postures. If one is able to prostate in front of the God, take blessings from elders, pick up something he dropped in the ground without any extra effort, able to see his toe fully without bending the body and don't feel his gut is uncontrollably shaking while making a step forward, then, he is okay. If not, he should become like a cow and eat only grass or some look alikes.

In order to cheat my mind, I indulge in some sumptuous meal every now and then to make the mind think that there is more coming. After all tongue should feel it won the battle with the mind every now and then. Best way to lead a happy life at my age is to eat green and taste it like chocolate pudding. Moderation is everything at this age.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

And in that fraction of a second, the amount of thought that comes out is incredible isn't it? I am not a big foodie so I cannot speak much but even with what I eat, my body tells me now what not to! It is the age Satchi, age nothing else. Did you not see this on FB ? So apt for so many situations no?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hey Satchi, the realization hit your fully occupied mind accompanied with some pleasant foodie thoughts. My story - was counseling a poster in Reln who posted about a crush on actor Prabhas. She responded back, and shared: '... my mom was a huge fan of Arvind Swamy of Roja days...'

Having been said fan myself, I felt soooo old... thought of applying for sabbatical in Reln forum and moving to Snippets....... not that folks here are oold!.. Oops! I am not helping, am I? :)

6 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Now you brightened one Old persons day. We so could have you here...come ...stay and don't leave.

3 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

You are always welcome anywhere you go in IL. I am too young to wish you good luck. We have fans of Sarojadevi, Savithri, Bhaumathi, Anjalidevi, etc. in Snippet section and what can we do with them?

Viswa

4 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hey Satchi, sorry Satchi Mam? :rotfl

There is nothing to feel bad about. When I was 14-15, i felt so bad about losing my childhood. I thought, i will not be able to eat 5-Star, Cadbury, halls, etc. Was thinking people will say itni badi ladki yeh kya kha rahi hai (what is this big girl eating?) So i used to go out and buy them and eat them when i am alone.

Now, I buy sleeveless, anarkali, tank tops, spaghetti tops, capris, leggings etc, dresses that teenagers and young girls wear. Again, i wear them in limited circles or when on vacation. The logic being the same that abhi nahi to kabhi pahnege.

About eating, most of the food i make at home. In India, i can't eat out as my stomach can't handle it.

So just go ahead and pamper yourself sometimes with no guilt. :2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,
    Your snippet'full circle' , essentially about 'tongue slaves' and food craze has gone a full circle around IL luminaries and it is now in the vector of making distinction between the participants of 'snippet' column and other columns. Your snippet has captivated young and old alike.

I have been brought up in an age that thought whatever mother cooked at home was healthy for her children.She knew the digestive capacity of all inmates and made varieties with simple ingredients that suited the healthy as well as meek.
    More than ever before ,now a 'healthy food' craze has started growing, whether in real health sense or just to simultaneously satisfy the food craze of the public and money craze of the multi million dollar food industries.

A healthy lifestyle is typically considered to be made up of four parts: controlling one’s weight, regular physical activity, not smoking and, of course, having a healthy diet.

Based on the above criteria, a survey suggests that only three percent of the richest nation lives a healthy lifestyle.
    The word Gluten-that resembles glutton.What is it?

Ten years ago no one knew this existed. Now a multibillion-dollar business has arisen that creates gluten-free products. Spend extra dollars on gluten-free bread and gluten-free pasta .

Only one percent of the population is unable to digest gluten. One percent. If you aren’t that one percent, then you are wasting your time and your dollars on a food industry that has essentially invented itself.

Plus, if you peek at the nutritional label on your gluten free products, there is a high chance you will find that your gluten free food has less fiber, more sugar and fewer vitamins.

The gluten-free fad has actually undermined people’s health because now there are gluten-free varieties of all that junk food. Whether your doughnut is gluten-free or not, it’s still a doughnut.”

Other abundant health buzzwords include “low carb,” “organic,” “hormone free,” “non-GMO,” “low fat,” all-natural,” “dairy-free” and more. While not dishonest, these labels can be misleading.

For example, “real cane sugar” has appeared as a label on many products, despite the fact that cane sugar has the same negative health effects as high-fructose corn syrup. Food companies flaunt this meaningless fact, as products labeled as being free of high-fructose corn syrup have seen their sales increase nearly fifty percent over the last four years.

Also, some products that never contained gluten now have a gluten-free label plastered on them in an effort to increase sales. These ‘healthier’ options often see their prices doubled for no apparent reason.

Same craze with 'protein added' stuff.

Why to add protein to a processed food, while real protein foods are availabble in plenty?

The health craze lies in some addition( of protein) and some subtraction( of gluten) advertising of multiplication of strength and energy division of our hard earned money between the food chain suppliers.What a math is this!'Dear satchi,
    I don't know with what motive you started drawing the circle.But it is doing many rounds in my mind hopping over and introspecting on various topics like 'becoming slaves to the tongue', the healthy food craze, weight loss craze and how these crazes are taken advantage of business giants leaving the innocent people poor in money and health.

Your 'full cycle', has given enough food for thought.

Thank you Satchitananada.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

Dear Sabitha,

Sabitha, I have been told that people of my 'nakshatra' are born foodies. I don't know how true that claim is, but I certainly am one sample case in favour of the theory. I always loved food and the spicier the better. These days, nothing other than salad and boiled veggies make me happy. Everything else is 'too spicy'. My mom's words proving prophetic once again! Talk of middle age and the body falling apart! :rofl. Can't help laughing, when I think of how both Viswamitra and you have nailed the truth so aptly. Yes, I can't see myself as growing old, because the 'person' inside seems to have stayed at the same point for as long as I can remember. So imagine the plight when I am caught between two warring factions - the body and the mind. However, these days, the body very firmly tells me what I can eat and what it is not going to take responsibility for!!! One more boss to deal with!

10. satchitananda

Dear Viswa,

Thanks so much for that prompt FB.