1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

positive or negative?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by surekhap, Oct 8, 2015.

1. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

when ever any discussion is going on in our mind there will be two versions one is said to be the positive and the other would be negative . But little confused all the time to decide which is the positive side or which is the negative side.

For example a mother of 3 month old baby wants to rejoin her office after maternity leave. Which would be the positive option? leave the 3 month old baby in the hands of others for making the baby's future secure or leaving the job to take care of the baby on her own and be their for the baby every min it requires.

If a person is having a negative opinion on us with no reason, what would be the positive side ?to be at their back until we prove ourselves or just leave them and continue with our own life with out interrupting them?

If a friend is angry with one of our deeds should we go around them and speak about it or just leave the him saying that he can't be a friend who can not understand us in a correct way?

Which could be the positive side leaving our aged parents, native land in the name of better carrier and giving them good financial support or leaving the carrier just stay with them taking care of the them personally?

The list goes on.

There are lot of such confusions running in my mind while I have to take a decision. I am not sure how many of u may be thinking like me.

4 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Surekha,

Sometimes the options are not black and white but grey. Two of the options appear so closely correct and we struggle a lot to find out which one is a better option.

I am just expressing my views on each one of your questions and this is just my humble opinion and others may think differently or may not agree with me.

A mother can't live the life based on others' opinion and she had to make her decision whether to report duty and spend more quality time when she gets back home or be with the child all the time based on what her conscience tells her to do. What she shouldn't do is to do one thing and regret that forever. She had to evaluate carefully and once she makes the decision, she should never regret.

If I were in the position of someone thinking negatively about me, I wouldn't try to prove myself. Instead, I would review their criticism carefully to see whether I had to make any changes in my behavior or character or lifestyle. If not, I will just remain who I am. If someone is angry for the right reason, I would apologize to them. If not, I would go my way and let them drive their own life the way they please. Angry person can never rationalize the reasons.

The last question about the aged parents is a difficult one. Parents struggle all their lives to make their children so successful. Can they afford to have their children squander the opportunities that they get? Can they afford to leave the parents high and dry in the home country to settle overseas? What is the adult children responsibility towards their children? If the adult children are educated in the home country and there is a chance to educate the grandchildren in a foreign country, are they doing the right thing by depriving them from such quality education?

In my view, these questions should be discussed in a family setting and depending on each family requirement, decisions will have to be made. There is no one right way. I have seen families were adult children sacrificed their opportunity to stay with the parents and in other cases they moved on fulfilling the wishes of the parents. Living overseas doesn't mean deserting the parents and there are many ways the adult children settled abroad could help their parents including giving the best of medical treatment when the parents need one.

Viswa

5 people like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Surekha, Decisions vary from person to person, family to family.The same decision which appears correct may prove to be a failure due to onset of failing health, unexpected deaths etc,
    Viswa has stated that once we take a decision after careful thought we should not regret.So many things change after the careful thought process.There may be exigencies to feel regret and reverse our decision.
    Human beings whether parents or children have to be flexible.
    All parents will not be satisfied with money or medical help. Sometimes private care seems a must. In case children are unable to relocate due to constraints in job or children's edn, they have to get along listening to lamentations. Nothing could be done.

jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Surekha,
    This positive and negative thing happens to all of us at many instances. If the results of our decision are good we consider it a positive thinking and if not negative. We decide based on that particular moment and situation or circumstances but later on we may be happy or regret. So, let us not feel guilty. Think we did our best and move on. It happens in almost day to day basis...small or big decisions. The conflict would always be there. Many times we try to develop a logic that we are right always. No, it is not so. It is self defence. Life is a combination of everything. Think well, plan well and proceed. Leave out everything to fate.
    In the given situations that you mentioned if the baby is in good hands mother would feel happy.
    If somebody misunderstand...explain to them and leave the decision to them and step back.
    If aged parents are happy in staying back in India and children abroad it's fine. It is not eh finances but mental set up. If not both parties would be miserable. There are pluses and minuses in everything.
    So, don't confuse yourself. As long as our intentions are good I believe things would work our fine.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  5. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@viswamithra sir, @jayasala madam,@shyamala1234 madam thank you for your wonder full feed backs and valuable advices in them.

I use to work as a teacher in a school some 8 years back. I left my job when I had my first baby and stayed back home to take of him .After second one, and now its 8 long years I left the job. when ever i see a working women and confidence in them i feel a prick in my heart that I have ruined my carrier my self. When ever I see my kids feeling happy with my presence I fortify that thoughts.
    When coming to the friends and others forming negative opinions on me I am little straight forward saying all the feeling i had about them with out any makeup. May be that hurts the people. In such conditions my mind thinks "what I said was the truth why should I be apologizing others"(ego?) some times my heart says let it go what goes if i take a step forward to keep up the friendship.

6. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

thank you sir...this is answer to my question with which i was fighting with myself since weeks:hatsoff...thank you. this is called maturity

7. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

yes surekha...i too have those two thoughts like any other human being. which makes us think and think and think. and once we make decision again same process...thinking... :)

but i dont know since last few months my life going thur big exams and if i look positively than i must accept that those things made me positive and matured and more independent which i was never before (thanks to IL too to sort all that)

but now once i make decision i m firm on that and also feels strongly that even though it must be wrong but will make sure to make it right and move further...

actually risk is part and parcel of life and we need to take it. i have observed that the person who thinks a lot dont do anything practically just keep thinking because they dont get time to do it practical (this was my past) so just decide and move forward ..jo hoga dekha jayega (my present)

1 person likes this.
  8. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

thank you twinklingstar for you valuable feed back.

sorry to know that you are having tough times now and happy to know that you learnt how to work with them.

yes this is the truth of life.:iagree

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Having self confidence, and confidence on your decisions would make you a balanced person when it comes to confusions.

There is no clear cut answers to any decisions, specially when it comes to motherhood. That too when you are looking up to the social acceptance, then it is very tough to get it always right.

I am a mother of 2. I have gone through this kind of situations all the time.

When my first baby was born, I wasn't too sure whether my mother can handle the baby at my absence. I wasn't confident whether my baby can handle his days without me.
    And more importantly, I wasn't too sure about myself whether I can be peaceful at my workplace by leaving my tiny child at the hands of someone.
    So, I decided to take a career break for 1 year till he grow.
    In the mean time, I observed everything too carefully. I witnessed how coolly my child is getting along with my mom. How nicely my mom is mothering him. I weighed my presence at home for the child, and my presence at office during the same time for the family - including the child.
    I also weighed other pros and cons and finally went to work after a year.

For the second one, I was pretty confident that my mom can handle. I felt that she needs help - so appointed a maid.
    I was sure that the child could be at peace if certain arrangements were made as per certain way.
    I ensured everything is cool; hence left for work when my child was just 4 months old the second time.

Both the times I had this society who had different opinions. Both decisions were tough as the first one gave us financial crisis, whereas the second one gave us emotional crisis. We weighed based on our capacity (financial, emotional, physical) to handle this; hence made the decision.

I had confidence on my decision, so I didn't felt confuse between the negatives and positives as everything has its own 2 sides. What matters is how much knowledgeable you are when you make a decision confidently.

3 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Surekha,

Like viswamithra says, there is no black or white, only shades of grey. We can only take decisions based on our best judgment of the current situations. We can never predict the outcome of our decisions.

1 person likes this.