1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help their "Aging into Childhood"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RamyaMusic, Oct 8, 2015.

1. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

I have a 2-year old son and 85 year old grandfather at home. Being with them everyday, I was stunned when I observed a lot of similarities between children and old-aged people.

1. Both of them cannot handle things, They drop them occasionally.
    2. Both of them do bed-wetting.
    3. Both of them have bad dreams at night and get scared by it.
    4. Both of their views or opinions are mostly not taken for consideration.
    5. Both of them talk same things repeatedly or want to hear the same story again and again.
    6. We think both of them cannot understand the current busy, techy world.
    7. Both of them forget a lot.

Children are ignorant about all these, but the old people, in addition, get embarrassed.
    Children do not know "The meaning of life", but the older people think "There is no meaning in being alive"

These humble souls, our roots need much more attention, patience and care.
    Let us treat them like our children.
    1. Lets be patient to them.
    2. Let us try understanding them and comfort them with our words.
    3. Let us ensure they have a good night's sleep, just like we check our kid in the middle of the night if he is sleeping.
    4. Let us help them have food, just like we mashed rice and carrot for our kid before he got his teeth.
    5. Lets smile and spread the smile on their faces.

Read these beautiful lines, somewhere...
    After Birth, a son is a child to his father..
    Before Death, a father is a child to his son..

Let us understand and help their "Aging into Childhood".

14 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

So truly said and the similarities become striking as they grow past say 80 years and more. We surely need to learn to be more patient with them. Of course, it may never be as easy to feel the same way about the old person as about a baby, for the simple reason that the baby is innocent, has never hurt us in our living memory, it is growing up and brings us hope which makes it easier to be patient.

4 people like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Excellent one.
    The title itself...Aging into childhood itself is so good. In our life time we have to deal with 2 year old kid and 80+ he/she and sometimes simultaneously. Let us teach 2 year old good habits, good values etc etc and treat 80+ with love and compassion and putting ourselves in their shoes. Let us not judge the 80+..what they have done or not done. They are at the end of the road. Otherwise we would be going on guilt trip forever after they have gone.
    Syamala

2 people like this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Excellent post, thanks for sharing with us...

1 person likes this.
  5. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

@Satchitananda beautiful reply. Especially, how a child is innocent and gives us hope and never hurts.
    And another wonderful reply by @shyamala1234. Why we must still be patient and not judge them, as we might end up being guilty.

1 person likes this.
  6. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Ramya,

Child-like qualities are what the learned people propose for everyone to have a better quality of life! Most elders have, a lot of isolation, mental and physical sickness, inability to catch up with where the world is going, memory losses (both short-term and long-term), no intention to stay on healthy and be a burden to their children, etc. A healthy relationship the mid-aged people build with their parents would give them more confidence. They identify well with their grandchildren as they are innocent and those grandchildren never judge any grandfathers/grandmothers.

Your conclusion is great. We have to treat the elders as a child and give them all comfort possible. Most importantly, we need to talk to them a lot to keep their interest in life alive. Quality time has to be spent with them.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya,
    Very apt title.It is great that you have realised the value of both on equal measures.Today many geriatricians have written books on 'Ageing Gracefully'.Yet no remedies for the natural process of deterioration of human lives.Though contemptual treatment of senior citizens is visible on oneside, we see positive signs of empathy and sympathy growing simultaneously.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  9. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya,
    my MIL use to say once people have crossed 60, they should be treated as child only. They dont know what they are saying. i have all 4 generations at home. my grand FIL (90 years old), my FIL (60), my hubby (33) and my son (5)..at the time of frustration, we use to say junior most and senior most are troubling a lot..
    1. both dont listen to us. But they want us to listen to them..
    2. Sometimes feel both expect love and nothing else from us..
    3. Both needs care & attention whenever they feel like they want it desperately
    4. Both has to be pacified to eat nutritious things
    5. Both dont trust us . they will crosscheck the thing we do for them thrice sometimes several times..
    6. Both argue that only they are right.
    these are few examples I am undergoing everyday..
    main point is we enjoy when our kids does all this thing but annoyed when old people do..Thats where i feel, we need to show our maturity.. It has to be understood not classify them by age but unite them by their nature..Both are kids..

1 person likes this.
  10. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Thank you @Viswamitra @jayasala42 and @Rith..
    This is awesome. I started a thread with a topic. And your replies have added much more valuable perspectives and points to ponder.

PS:
    Your refined writings inspire me more and more. :)