1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I passionate or obsessive?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Oct 5, 2015.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

My five year old grand daughter asked me to tell a few words ending with the sound ‘sh(o)n’.I mechanically said,’dictation ‘ and ‘station’.She happily ran away to join her playmates.

But it started creating a trigger in my mind.

I knew a neatly dressed smart mother of two boys aged 6 and 4.Whenever her sons return from school very hungry,she would never bother to satiate their hunger or thirst. She would arrange the books neatly in the cupboard, place the uniforms and socks in the laundry basket,try to set the dining chairs in the exact angle moving them here and there.The children overwhelmed with hunger would start crying and fall asleep in the sofa.. Had she prepared 2 dosas with the batter readily available, children would have been relieved of their hunger and gladly obeyed her instructions. She was so rigid and had scant regard for others.

.She was too methodical, meticulous and over organized incurring the displeasure of one and all in the family.Now, diagnosed as psychosis,always under medication, unfortunately she is not even able to attend the marriage of her son.What discipline/indiscipline is this!

My mother with lot of children/grandkids never bothered to arrange the toys. According to her the disorganised dolls and books denote how happy and free the children are.

I remember a chess player who will be brooding about various moves of the opponent in the next day tournament,or a choreographer moving her limbs even while watching the TV serial as her mind is hovering about the abhinayas and multi rhythmic patterns., as the complicated jathis in chatusram, tisram and sankeernam dominate her mind.

Instances are not uncommon where an ideal house wife cum musician sets different goals at various times suited to her performance and also to bring out the best from her school going son. No need to talk about the computer professionals who work extensive hours almost losing their personal life ,their mind set at the stiff dead lines..The same is the mental attitude of research scholars, novelists,artists and all others whoever want to excel in their fields.Many parents are not interested in giving their daughters to research scientists, always bent on labs.

From time immemorial it was drilled into our ears to be busy like a bee, active like an ant and untiringlike a spider.J. G. Holland observes”God gives every bird his food. But he does not throw it into its nest.”

The only place where ‘success’ comes before ‘work’ is dictionary.Let not our micro wave culture misguide us that the results are instant.Nobody likes to work hard unless it is out of ‘passion'. A Successful life is one that is lived through understanding and pursuing one’s own path ,not chasing the dreams of others’..Excess passion results in ‘obsession’.
    The Guinness world record is one such obsession.

Achievement,Power and belonging seem to be the three basic needs that drag people into obsession.Somehow one wants others to feel that he/she is in the top whether it is for trivial things such as wearing max number of socks in one foot, or the number of balls one can catch with a bucket on his head or the maximum number of idlies one can consume within stipulated minutes or the maximum length of beard one can have or the longest sentence one year old child can say.
    Some foolish ideas have been drilled into people to make them obsessive and cranky creating a false
    image of a big horizon of aspirations.
    Senior citizens are no exceptions. Many men and women after retirement get glued to computers eagerly awaiting replies to whatever they wrote or keep themselves in readiness to give suitable responses.Is it passion or obsession? psychiatrists clearly define passionate people as those who fight willingly pulling themselves to the edge and obsessees as those who are pushed to the edge.

But for common man obsession is an automatic outcome of ambition,the essential need of every individual.There appears to be a very thin line of demarcation between ‘passion at its maximum’ and’obsession’.Nobody knows where to draw the line, since the situation varies from person to person. ‘Passion’ may be either in painting, drawing, music,yoga or social work.In the same way obsession may relate to simple reading of the news paper or cover to cover to analysis of magazines to greater task of undertaking to do most complicated jobs within the shortest duration and venture into unknown areas just for name and fame.

My friend's son after completing his degree wanted to join Isha Yoga centre.The Guruji after interviewing him asked him to go back and continue his studies.Reason given for rejection was he had excessive passion for yoga learning,The master said 'excessive passion is the symptom of obsession and he may not be suitable at the present."For learning any thing, a simple interest with basic intelligence will do and they can be moulded and not these extra ordinary passionate individuals" Guruji remarked.
    The boy totally dejected came back, felt depressed,joined International Institute of Yoga in Bihar, got Masters.He does not to start any Yoga Institute, neither does he want to work for any organization, .At 41, he simply sits at home causing mental agony to one and all.Was Guruji's assumption correct? Or Guruji's rejection is the main cause of his present situation?God only knows.

People who have obsession in certain areas may perform very well and excel others in other aspects.Result is the best measurement of human progress.It may not matter if one is obsessive or passionate as long as’ success’ succeeds.Many eminent personalities like Benjamin Franklin,Thomas Alwa Edison and Steve Jobs had accepted that their victory was not due to their special talents but only due to their ‘obsessive passions’Every human being in this world is obsessive in one aspect or the other, on one occasion or the other.No one is free from this universal phenomenon.

Can we completely do away with’ obsession?”” A definite’NO’ will be the answer.

“ Our passions are the winds that propel our vessel.Our reason is the pilot that steers her.Without winds the vessel would not move andWithout the pilot she would be lost.”-is a popular proverb. A careful watch over your passion,learning the trick by reason to unfix your attention , timely creative diversion to revitalize your energy may work out the magic.

That day some one was talking about the distinction between passionately obsessive and obsessively pssionate and wanted to drag me into conversation.I simply withdrew myself and simply escaped.

A harmonious blend, though rare, is a divine gift.

Jayasala 42

2. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Jayasala madam, you have put the essence of life in simple words. You may wonder why I called it as essence of life. We are all born with some basic interests. If they are identified by our parents or teachers when we were kids, we would be encouraged to excel in that field, whether it be studies or music or games. From interest comes passion. When we see that our interest is paying it's reward we develop passion towards it knowingly or unknowingly. Sometimes when we are identified because of our knowledge born out of our passion, it turns into obsession. Who doesn't like having an identity of their own? We strive for that from childhood days at home or in the outside world. When we are recognized for something we have achieved, it gives us immense pleasure.

But yes, there comes a time when we have to draw a line for this obsession. Otherwise we would be destroyed as fast as we were made.

It's just my opinion.

sindmani, jayasala42 and surekhap like this.
  3. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful post....I don't always write to you...but I always love your post mam...
    There is a Doha in hindi

Ati ka bhala na barasana , ati ka bhala n.a. dhoop
    Ati ka bhala na bolna, ati ka bhala na chup....

Literal translation is....bad is too much of rain, bad is too much of Sun....bad is too much of talking , bad is too much of silence.....

No matter how good a thing is but when it comes in excess it becomes bad....balance is the key to have a happy life...

4. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

jayasala madam as you questioned "am i passionate or obsessive ?". If every body asks the question to them selves then only one can learn where to draw a line to stay passionate and avoid obsession.

cleanliness, learning some thing, buying any gadgets, modernization .........etc. until they stay in the limit of passion they yield good results but once they turned as an obsession just lead to sadness, discomfort and mental imbalance in a person.

We have to introspect where our passion is leading to us and should limit our thoughts not to lead us into obsession.

sindmani and jayasala42 like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear jayasala42,
    A very thought provoking post. You have rightly said, there seems to be a very thinline
    between passion and obsession. I feel almost everyone would like to justify their actions and rarely accept they are obsessive even if truly so. Personally speaking, I like to be punctual in everything and used to expect the same from everyone especially, my two sons and husband. Notice, hear I say 'like' and not 'obsessive.' To their credit,my family also went as per my wishes on most occasions. It is now, when sons have grown up and settled, I happen to hear from them about my obsession with deadlines/ time etc and have started to keep away from expressing my likes dislikes
    and my expectations of what I had all along thought is the right thing.
    So, one person's behaviour / passion could be easily construed as obsession by others if they are not similarly inclined.
    Even so, with my conviction that what I do is the right thing , I have not changed
    my behaviour- only with age and maturity - expectation from others has been reduce d drastically.

6. jayasala42

Dear Daisy 2015,
    You are right. Every one wants to get recognition.They want top the list. They continue their passion only with the right motive.But without their knowledge they become obsessive, which they don't want to accept.It is a path to be dreaded carefully.

Jayasala 42

7. jayasala42

Dear Coolgal123,
    'amruthamapi atyadhikam visham bhavathi'
    Well said.
    Even nector in excess brings harm.
    athyadhik barasna, athyadhik dhoop,jyadha prasang and maun sab kuch haani hee pahunchaate hain.

What a nice statement! Same thing applies to excess ambition

Jayasala 42

8. jayasala42

Dear Surekhap,You have caught the point. But unfortunately we always think that we are within our limits and it is passion in us that is kindling us.

Obsession is very silent and it just takes viswaroopam only when things go beyond our control.Man governed by 'ego' may not like to accept that he is obsessed.In these days of independence and individual thinking many parents have to keep hello-hello relationship with their adolescent children.Many boys think that it is manliness to be obsessed over things.

Jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Joylokhi,
    You are the most practical woman.We cannot enforce what we consider 'discipline' in our children unless it is self realised by them.We have our own lakshman Rekha which our maturity has taught us not to transgress, in order to keep the harmomy in the family.May be we have also out of age and experience have come out of certain obsessive thoughts.Both way it is good.

The obsessions which we might have been holding tight, naming them as 'passions' slowly loosen the grips as age advances.Our priorities too change, perceptions change and the change is definitely for the better.

Thank you for sharing your nice thoughts and experience.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear JS Madam,
    Yes, as others have expressed the line between obsession and passion is thin and it cannot be defined. Interest in doing some things , some subjects, some games or some books.....these come under the category of passions......I guess. But cleanliness, excess of discipline and doing the same thing like washing hands again and again or keeping things in order and becoming mad at others if they do not do so (there are so many ) come under obsession and they call it perfectionism. It is difficult for the family to live with them. Obsession has a negative tinge in it whereas passion is a positive trait. So, a balance is needed. Encourage passion in a child if he/she is interested in something and discourage negative obsessions. Of course it is difficult to draw a line where one ends and the other one starts. There is no uniform formula....as according to the situation our judgement should be made.
    Syamala

sindmani and satchitananda like this.