1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Outrageous

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Just read the news of a Muslim man killed by a mob on suspicion of him slaughtering a cow and eating beef with his family. The son of the man was also attacked and injured.

I am a vegetarian and am personally against killing even a mosquito. But I do respect other people's belief and their right to eat whatever they wish to eat. I am not sure what people get out by killing a person for presumably eating beef?

Aren't these people wearing leather shoes, belts, jackets and driving vehicles with leather seats? where is the leather coming from?

How many cows they are going to save? Cows are slaughtered worldwide. Are Indian cows sacred than other cows?

Some of these people may be eating chicken, mutton, fish, etc. So what's the difference in killing one animal vs another? There is life in both.

Some of these people may not be even respecting their own mothers or the mother of their children and are taking thekedari of cow-mother?

There are many homeless, hungry people. Why these people not take care of human beings instead of worrying about cows?

If they are so much worried about cows, then build a cowshed and buy the cows and rear them in cow shed so that they are protected from slaughter.

Is God going to be happy at them for killing a human being and protecting cows?

Do these people take care of Cows that are wandering on roads and are sick? Do they carry them to veterinarian for treatment?

Do these people not throw plastic bags on the roads that are gulped by cows?

Our PM sends out condolence messages for Aadesh Shrivastava and on death of Asha Bhosle's son, but he is completely silence on this incident. Why? Isn't he the Prime Minister of every Indian? What happened to his slogan, "Sab Ka Saath, Sab Ka Vikas"?

Where are these people when Ganeshji is dumped into the occean in total disrespectful manner? Where did their religious belief go in this case? Please see this shocking video of Ganesh Visarjan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyUcQNUNjiE

Looks like I need Abhishekam to cool my mind.

sindmani, Arunarc, GaythriV and 8 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,
    All your questions and arguments are quite reasonable and logical.To every individual these doubts arise.Are we living in a jungle in a barbaric society or an independent India?

Of course in an independent India -- without independent thoughts.

All our questions are raised when we are sitting in an A/ C room with lap top infront,thinking of point by point discussion.But the activity takes place in a charged atmosphere.
    Social psychology does offer relevant explanations for group or mob mentality and violence. When people are part of a group, they often experience deindividualisation, or a loss of self-awareness. When people deindividualise, they are less likely to follow normal restraints and inhibitions and more likely to lose their sense of individual identity.

Groups can generate a sense of emotional excitement, which can lead to the provocation of behaviors that a person would not normally get involved if he is alone.

The group seems to make some behaviors acceptable that would not be acceptable otherwise.
    Deindividualisation obviously does not occur every time people get together in a group, and there are some group characteristics that increase the likelihood of violence, such as group size and physical anonymity.

First, many people believe they cannot be held responsible for violent behavior when part of a mob because they perceive the violent action as the group’s (e.g., “everyone was doing it”) rather than their own behavior. When in a large group, people tend to experience a diffusion of responsibility. Typically, the bigger a mob, the more its members lose self-awareness and become willing to engage in dangerous behavior.

Second, physical anonymity also leads to a person experiencing fewer social inhibitions. When people feel that their behavior cannot be traced back to them, they are more likely to break social norms and engage in violence.

In general, we ( including Jayasala and Akanksha)are all susceptible to participating in some group behavior, but researchers have found that certain situations trigger the role.

Adolescents who share antisocial tendencies and lack close family bonds are more likely to search for social identity in gangs.

Group violence is most likely to occur when the group is large, people are able to remain anonymous, and people experience a diffusion of responsibility.
    Situation becomes more favouable when the ruling Govt enacts certain regulation favouable to a sect, antagonising a group.The vulnerable get caught unawares.
    this is what happens during a terrorist activity also.

The wrong doers become one among the mob, don't think of consequences,not bothered about arson or looting or murder, .The thought about value of human life does not occur to them at all. Some such individuals might be highly intelligent, skilful professionals, and normally amenable to disciplines also.
    Triggering is normally done by individuals at high end to win political mileage .We cannot expect any condemnation from the high level.Even if it is, it will be a lip service.
    Global terrorism thrives only on this main sociological principle of deindividualisation.

Jayasala 42

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If someone tells me that killing animals is a sin, I respect that view but saying killing only cows is a sin and not other animals is sheer hypocrisy. This particular incident must be seen in the context of growing intolerance to people who are different, who think and even eat differently. It must be seen in the context of the murder of Dhabolkar, Kalburgi, Pansare and threats to another rationalist Narendra Naik warning him not to preach atheism or rationalism, This is part of the tendency that hounded two Tamil novelists for ruffling caste feathers and the bombing of a Tamil Tv Channel for organising a debate on the relevance of mangalsutra. Akanksha we are living in an age of rage, an age of intolerance.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,

What a wonderful blog, and what lovely common sense..Yes if it is wrong to eat cow, then wrong to eat other meats too.and indian cow more sacred than other cows of the world ? And leather shoes and belts etc ?

i am a meat eater, and u are a veg, and i appreciate yr open mind regarding meat eating.

My respect goes up for u many notches, noble thoughs u have, wonderful thoughts and post.

Regards

kamal

5. Akanksha1982

Thanks Jaya Mam, you detailed the mob behavior and its reasoning very well and it is easy to get caught in a mob behavior. The silent approval from the PM is instigating more such behavior with people taking matters in their own hands.

I am not sure how this is helping the PM as well. Communal unrest will drive away the investors. Countries like UAE and others will not be responding to PM's request of investments. Even Obama has spelled it out loudly that India can only succeed if it is not splintered across religious lines. So USA also may not support him if he fails to not tame the religious extremism.

At least a lip service would help comfort everyone and help in taming extreme behaviors.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Yes. Religious extremism in any form is dangerous. The wounds of such violence are difficult to heal. People don't remember the many bomb blasts that have happened in India, but remember the violence of 1947, 1984, 1993, 2002.

As a child, in 1993, i had seen from the window of my house, the barber shop of a Muslim uncle was burned down with a group of people with swords and sticks. My father used to have his hair cut at that shop. I used accompany him sometimes and the uncle was so nice and used to give me sweets. Not sure what happened to that uncle, but the image of his shop burning is still etched in my memory.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Akanksha1982

I just think logically and this is just common sense.

Even Gandhiji was against banning of cow-slaughter.

What Mahatma Gandhi said to those who wanted beef banned in India | The News Minute

Looks like people are not agreeing with me - No likes or FBs. Would have appreciated their comments even if they didn't agree with me.

1 person likes this.
  8. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Very well said....agree with you...on every point.....heights of intolerance and
    stupidity.

9. Mirage

Mirage Silver IL'ite

Time commonfolks turn intolerant to these intolerant activities.

I am a vegetarian by choice and have been living with my folks and friends who eat non-veg. How come food make you behave insane/inhuman???

Killing a person who ate cow meat led to killing a human being - so now who is inhuman? These religious atrocities are to be cleared before he travels the globe - meat eating countries - investments from meat eating countries is fine with him and his gang of religious idiots???

The top cow meat exporters of India are hindus - what's the take on that Modiji???

1 person likes this.
  10. BrightRachael

BrightRachael Senior IL'ite

India is going back to the primitive ages. Our freedom fighters gave their lives to free this country and now some fanatics are spoiling the beauty of our nation. Seeing these things, i at times feel ashamed that I m an Indian.

The irony is nothing happens to the culprits. Only the poor and weaker people are made the target. Why can't they raise their voice against the top beef exporters. India is the biggest exporter of beef.

And our PM is still silent....Waah !!!!

1 person likes this.