1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extraordinary

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

“Do not ask your children to strive for extraordinary lives. Such striving may seem admirable, but it is the way of foolishness. Help them instead to find the wonder and the marvel of an ordinary life. Show them the joy of tasting tomatoes, apples and pears. Show them how to cry when pets and people die. Show them the infinite pleasure in the touch of a hand. And make the ordinary come alive for them. The extraordinary will take care of itself.” - Quote from William Martin

I know this subject is widely covered by many great writers in IL. But the focus of this snippet is little different. Isn't normal human nature to get attracted by the extraordinary or something one doesn’t possess? For example, when there is a blood moon (especially when warned that I won’t be able to see another until 2033), I am inclined to step out even late at night to watch this celestial celebration. When a cobbler’s child completes IIT and get employed in Google, India, it becomes newsworthy for me even though it was proved later that the woman’s photograph displayed is not actually the Cobbler’s daughter. When Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam demonstrates extraordinary character and skills, I admire his qualities and write about it extensively. Security laws expect the corporations to file a document with the Securities & Exchange Commission if there is an extraordinary event happening within the corporation. The Company’s reward extraordinary employees and seek the best in the business when they look for a CEO.

What makes my mind to admire and look forward to extraordinary in life? I think it is my longing to become a better person. As William Martin mentioned if the parents were to show how to find the wonder and the marvel of an ordinary life, the parents should know how to do it themselves. Mother Teressa said, “Not everyone can do great things but everyone can do small things with great love”. It is the passion in everything I do that matters the most. My human mind should be able to unwind the bundle of details in each of my thoughts, words and actions and try to excel in what is ordinarily done in normal life. The only way to improve my quality of life is to improve the quality of my thoughts, words and actions. I should never get satisfied with what I could achieve even though I should be contented with what I possess. It is more important to look deep into my thoughts, words and actions to fix things I do regularly. Extraordinary is all about making ordinary things near perfect to feel a great sense of fulfillment noticeable.

When I carefully analyze everything extraordinary, it consist of series of thoughts, words and actions performed exceedingly well in life. The best CEOs are not born but made out of their own effort to overcome their failures. The best employees have done so many things right through their hard work and also learned their lessons through their failure in order to become the best employees. Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam didn’t become what he was just like that but the seed for such character had been planted when he was young and energetic. In his interview, he said he was selected 8[SUP]th[/SUP] by the Air Force as a standby if someone failed to join. Fortunately, everyone joined resulting in India getting one of the best scientists. Is it really possible to get inspired by the extraordinary people merely admiring them either secretly or openly unless one substantially changes the mind to resonate with the quality in everything one thinks, speaks and does?

There isn’t a time without me admiring the nature be it a full moon, rainbow, butterfly, flower garden, valley, peak, waves, deep ocean, river, plants, trees, animals, etc. I get awestruck by the invention of the Creator in ordinary things I see around in my life but what do I do to inculcate great habits to enhance my own character and excel in every little thing I do? If an ordinary moon could excite me so much to have a moonlight dinner, why can’t I find that excitement in a friendship/relationship with another being? I believe I should set a standard for myself to treat the ordinary living beings as extraordinary and treat them with respect in order to win the right to admire the nature. How can the Creator make one ordinary thing look extraordinary (nature) while ordinary living beings continue to be ordinary? I guess I have to alter my mind and bring uniformity to see every ordinary thing as being extraordinary. All the ordinary things and beings I see in this world are made out of an Extraordinary Being and if I see those ordinary things and beings with great respect, I could eventually become part of the Extraordinary Being.

7 people like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Sir, Actually, we differentiate "extraordinary" and "ordinary". In reality most extra ordinary people are ordinary people. They get cold feet, nervousness when performing the same act. I have read that Lata Mangeshkar is very nervous when she has to sing a song though she has sung thousands of songs. Amitabh has described in his blogs many times how nervous he becomes when he has to shot even though he has been acting for decades. Sachin has mentioned his nervousness whenever he goes out to bat.

So what makes these ordinary people do extra ordinary things? It is the fear. It is the fear of failure, fear of disappointing others that ignite the passion and brings the best of them. It makes them work hard. Had read that Lataji used to sit with the lyricist to learn the pronunciation of the words and meanings and then practice the song multiple times to get it right, Kishore kumar used to rehearse in the bathroom before going for the recording.

I also see the same fear in you when you present your snippets, the fear that no one is disappointed, no one is offended, etc. This fear helps you bring out the best and is seen by the quality of your snippets. Didn't I say in so many words that you are extraordinary?

So where do we get this fear? After all, everyone wants to do extraordinary stuff. It comes naturally. It accumulates over time. Sometimes, we don't recognize it. Sometimes it gets developed because of necessity. An unemployed person looking for a job has this fear of failure and this fear forces him to the best in the interview.

Is the fear persistent? Yes, it goes into self-fulfilling mode. Fear begets success and success begets fear.

3 people like this.
  3. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

viswa sir when ever i read your snippet it always leads me a step forward to wards the ocean of knowledge.
    u r a great soul every post and every matured replay of yours for my silly post proves it. u are extra ordinary.
    will power, concentration, efficiency of the person to over come a hurddle makes a person ordinary to extra ordinary in the work.
    we should always be satisfied with what we have but strive hard to improve the standards of our life . respect and love to wards the fellow beings, kindness, tolerance and simplicity makes a man ordinary to extra ordinary in the life.

one thing i would like to let u know. when ever i read your snippet i wish i could write a proper feedback which i cannot do with my very limited knowledge and poor expression. but i dare to give the feed back as i know that u can forgive me with my ignorance and explain me the right way. i admire u sir.

2 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

You are in a sense that it looks like everyone wants to make a mark in their lives no matter how big or small. Perhaps not knowing what happens next is the reason for this urge. Knowing what next may also provide a reason :) I do believe that everything around is extraordinary. It is just that we get so used to it that we take it for granted and when something that our minds are not used to come up, we seem to react to it. Even then we still lose sight of every day miracles and believe something in something extraordinary.

One of the things I urge my kids be it mine or the ones I teach is to look at the world with an eye for wonder. This morning I was telling my students that it is very important that they live in awe, observe and appreciate. Oh well, I think I will continue to talk for no reason. Thank you for a nice write up urging to see the extraordinary in the perceived ordinary.

2 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

What Martin said is wonderful, i have not read it before, but it makes great sense. Many parents these days want their children to be champions in all things, to be a super man, who can swim, ride horse, do karate, judo, painting, u name it they must do it, and also stand first in the class.

Sad it is, for like children who must play and climb trees and enjoy the simple pleasures, as u right say that we too must learn to enjoy life, to be sensitive to death, happiness, and all that . Sometimes Vishwa, a simple home made food, hot fresh and served with love, tastes a thousand times better than the most expensive food u can have at a resort or hotel.

Orindary things are the best. The other day, i was at the railway station, to see off someone, and the train was late , so i was left with nothing to do, but observe people, at the station, their mannerisms, the dogs sleeping peacefully, the fretul passengers and it was fun really, and so very different from the everyday life.

Wonderful post vishwa just loved it.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viswa,

An extraordinary article, as ususl by Viswa.

It is always great to look for ordinary things with an'extra ordinary 'lens. But it is human to long for 'extra ordinary' traits.The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
    ~Jimmy Johnson

Wise people definitely know that to become extra ordinary, it takes some extra efforts put forth continuously.
    Definitely it is good that people keep themselves in a higher pedestel in character, conduct, and service mindedness.But there is no harm in developing ambitions to become extra ordinary in ordinary sense of the term.We can't come to a definite conclusion that extra ordinary people cannot be simple or humble and are incapable of appreciating simple things in life.

There are many many who are capable of appreciating humility, poverty and the wholeness in emptiness.Those simple souls can become extra ordinary if they

are willing to go a few steps further than the rest of us, turning ordinary effort into extraordinary effort, ordinary resolve into extraordinary resolve.They can produce extra ordinary results too.

Now a days students get 'extra ordinary' grades for one or two additional assignments and a few minutes of extra hard work put forth daily. The difference can be as small as a mere 1-2 percent.

It is just the same for all life situations. A little extra care in garnishing with curry leaves, asafoetida or coriander gives extra ordinary taste to sambar.A liitle more rehearsal and practise to the child by the mother takes the performance of the student from ' ok 'to'good' or even to 'extra ordinary''.A few more hours of rehearsal enchant the audience altogether in a musical concert.

Even that expression 'extra ordinary' brings in a fresh flow of enthusiasm into the child.

A few more consistent steps! makes a monumental change! Why should we get denied of that enthusism ? .My mother would often say 'you can get hundred even if you add one +one, hundred times'.

"A bit of extra time,A bit of extra preparation.,A bit of extra reading and research.

A bit of extra creativity and flair,A bit of extra love.,A bit of extra work.,A bit of extra prayer" makes one extra ordinary.

one could become the extraordinary parent that kids deserve.

one could become an extraordinary leader whom people would flock to.

one could have the extraordinary business that you’ve always dreamed of.

one could make an extraordinary difference and bring perceptible changes in the society
    Loving simple things is nice. To be simple and humble is great.But to have an ambition to become'extra-ordinary', even in the ordinary sense, it implies,is not a sin and and need not be shunned, in my humble opinion.In fact it is this urge to become extra ordinary that has resulted in so many technological developments and comforts we enjoy today.
    Extra ordinary and ordinary abilities and attitudes and thoughts can coincide and they are not opposite poles.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Akanksha,

Thank you for your first response. In fact, most of the extraordinary people won't even know or recognize what is so special about them to be extraordinary. Like Lata Mangeshkar, singer Janaki once said, "I just sing like anyone else and I still don't understand why people call me extraordinary singer". Similarly, superstar Rajni always wonder how he is superstar when he recognizes the whole list of people as great in acting talents.

Regarding fear, I believe it is the passion to excel in whatever one does by repeated practices makes one greater than ordinary. There will be a lot of hard work behind every extraordinary person that no one would see. Sylvaster Stallone had to sell his dog to get some money to get an opening in Hollywood. He eventually bought his dog back. He had to face a lot of humiliation including comments like, "You have no face to act in Hollywood". He gave his story to someone and he was ready to make it but modify it substantially. He believed in his story and refused the offer especially when has not yet made it into Hollywood. That shows his passion in his script. More than fear, I believe it is determination that makes the difference. Perhaps, fear comes how to retain the fame already obtained.

As far as I am concerned, I have more fears than just one you narrated here.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Surekha,

I am humbled by your first sentence that my snippets takes you a step forward towards the ocean of knowledge. I am swimming against the waves to get to that ocean and in the process I write all that hoping someone will throw some light. What I know now is probably a drop in the ocean. You are too kind to say some wonderful things about me and to deserve those words, I have to do a lot more.

You said it right. The Will Power of all apart from concentration, efficiency and practice makes a person near perfect. For that one needs to break down the area of their interest into minute details to fix and excel in each one of the sub-segments. When you watch the playback singers, they explain in great details what was the context of a song, what was in the mind of the composer and music director, what expression is expected out of the singer, etc.

You are writing wonderful feedback for everyone of my snippet which I am very happy about. It is an honor to receive your feedback as I can always learn something new. There is nothing to forgive you as reading your posts and responses give me a great joy.

Thank you for your kind words and I will do my best to deserve such honor.

Viswa

9. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@ Viswa sir it is your greatness to see extra ordinaries in an ordinary person .Thank you very much for your kind words . they boosted my effort for being better.

1 person likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, there is nothing ordinry about nature. It is extraordinary by itself and its extra ordinariness is not due to our perception of it. But looking for the extraordinary in ordinary Joes, is a question of perception. True all living beings must be treated with respect whether they have been made by an extraordinary being or not.

1 person likes this.