1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Those Days.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Of my learning journey from school days, junior college, undergraduate, graduate to post graduate, my memorable days were the school days. I remember my teachers from the school days very distinctly and used to visit my school whenever I could and meet the teachers. Now, the teachers have retired or moved on.

I used to be a first bencher and hence was a prisoner of the "Good student" image which i had to maintain, even though i was funny outside. Many times, i was singled out in praising - "Look at Akanksha....". In the recess, i was pulled by my friends and other boys - "you made us look bad.....".

In my 10th grade, the whole class decided to bunk the school as there was some cricket match. Next day, my parents were called along with me in the principal's office - "Akanksha - I didn't expect this from you. How can you join those duffer students?"....

I still remember some memorable lines of the teachers. I am sure everyone would have heard their teacher saying them.

"Is this a fish market?"
    "Do you think it is funny?"
    "You don't forget to eat, why forget homework?"
    "Is this why your parents sent you here"
    "I want pin drop silence"
    "Don't even think about that"
    "Stand outside the class"
    "You want to be like him"
    "why do you come here if you don't want to study"
    "write "I am sorry" 100 times"
    "Do you think i am stupid?"

Share your memorable lines of your teachers or anecdotes.

PS: Teachers in IL, please do not pull me for this thread. This is just in jest.

sindmani, MalStrom, NeetaR and 9 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

LOL Akanksha, that "you don't forget to eat" has a story behind it. One day I really forgot my lunch box at home and kept praying some teacher would ask me that question, but no one did! The tragedies in the life of a student, I tell you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anecdote - one of the more experienced and good teachers had this habit of throwing small chalk pieces from his chair to the talkative ones in last benches. Was mostly on target. :) Those were simpler times - the kids simply laughed, learnt to duck and all used to gather the chalk pieces once in a while.

He was actually a pretty good and well-regarded maths teacher. Used to explain things to interested students outside classroom if maths period was just before lunch or last period. He also gave tuitions but because parents requested him to, not to just make more money.

I recall one more incident related to him that left a mark. One problem in the exam paper got misprinted with a few words missing. One other student and I were pros at by-hearting problems in textbook, so we solved the problem correctly even with missing words. He decided that due to misprint all would get full marks for that problem even if they did not attempt it or gave incorrect answer. We gathered the courage and went and spoke to him that it was not fair to those who could solve it correctly - we used to have crazy competition among classmates to get good marks.. used to pretend we are not studying at all for the exams.... Anyway, long story short - he heard us out, and nicely told us that life is not always fair fair, and that what he was doing was the 'right' thing.

The Mark Twain quote to never let schooling interfere with your education...
    This maths Sir gave us an education that day. :hatsoff

1 person likes this.
  4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

I had forgotten to wear my school badge and had been caught in the morning assembly and had to go around the ground three times, a very good work out before starting the class. Innumerable memories still fresh in mind.

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,

It is such a coincidence I read your snippet the same day one of my school mates called me to talk about the golden days we spent together in school. I am talking about 1966-1969 period in High School. We talked about almost all the teachers and one we laughed for a long time.

There was a Tamil teacher who didn't like students coming to class after he arrived at the classroom. If someone ran to have water or to the toilet, he had to wait outside the class for at least 5 minutes waiting for his permission to get into the class. Finally, the teacher will stare at the student and ask, "Do you expect me to invite you with a red carpet? Just get in fool".

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

Hai akanksha
    sure thing all of us have soooo many memories of school times .Days of fun & frolic
    All of us in the immediate and extended family went to the same school so there was always a comparison .My older sis was a very quite and hard working student and law of averages I was the talkative ,hardly working mischievous one.
    we had this science teacher who would read out from the book and my friend and I would play games sitting right in front .once she made me stand and said now you tell me what is the shape of a bean seed .I promptly said kidney shape than she said whats the shape of kidney and I said bean shaped .this went on till she just did not know what to say and asked me to sit down .she got so frustrated she told every teacher in the class room and even at home .unknowingly I had left an impact that her daughter recalled it after almost 50 yrs recently when we met at a funeral of my cousin and her classmate another cousin asked her if she knows me and I'm tulsi's sister Gita she said oh ya the one who kept repeating shape of bean and kidney till amma finally gave up.
    the blessing was I always did my home work and was also a topper so many atime my mischief was forgotten and forgiven
    We had a physics teacher who was very strict and to top it was our class teacher in twelveth grade also a family friend of ours for husband a doc was my fathers colleague. our class had won the science exhibition contest and she would not let us go .I the leader took the class mass bunked and made our way to the exhibition she gave a surprise test and marked a zero to all of us and even today we all have it in our cumulative record book of perfomance
    so we all learn some in playfull way some times paying a prize unwittingly.

7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The teacher was teaching how to write small letters in English.For demonstration she took the progress report of my son and told" You see,Anand's father's name is S.JAYARAMAN.He has signed in small letters.
    My son was in UKG..He caught the point well. Next day my elder daughter who was in 5th Standard got her progress report.My son took her progress report and wrote my husband's name in small letters and gave the report to his teacher, who without noticing the name of the child and class kept the report card in the bundle.

Meanwhile my daughter was searching her progress report.
    Fearing to tell the truth she told the teacher that her father was out of city and she would get his signature as soon as he returned.
    As days passed she became panicky and told me that her progress card was missing.The same evening I got a message from her class teacher that she wanted to meet me along with my daughter.As my son was unwell I also carried him along with me to meet her teacher.
    The teacher told me,
    your daughter is a good student and has got very good marks. Yet why should she sign in the place of her father?Is there any marital disharmony at home etc etc.I was puzzled to see the hand writing of a child.My daughter pleaded ignorance.The teacher scolded her in my presence and warned her of severe action if it got repeated.
    My son just 5, on my shoulders peeped into the card and said" akka did not put the signature. My teacher only showed the progress card in the class, wrote appa's name in the black board and taught how to write small letters.
    So I took Akka's card,wrote my father's name in small letters.Is it alright Miss?
    We learnt that his teacher located a 5th Std card in the bundle and handed over to the teacher.
    The teacher need not have taken the example of progress card to show small letters.
    The teacher then apologised to us and instructed my daughter not to hide anything. My son was a child.He could not be blamed.
    Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Yeah teachers are unpredictable. Hope you got something to eat at the canteen. In our canteen, there was a stall of Ragda-Pav which was very good. Sometimes, i used join my friends and have that even though i had a lunch box. Then in-between classes and before going home, used to finish my lunch and then during the dinner would say my stomach is upset so can't have it. Funny days....:rotfl

1 person likes this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Hey Rihana, nice one. Thanks for sharing. For two years, we had a young, handsome math teacher. But he was very khaddos. Once we came to know that he got engaged. We were all sad. Then a few months later, we came to know that his engagement was called off. We were all laughing thinking he must have acted khaddos with his fiance.:rotfl

10. Akanksha1982

Ouch that must have been tough. Assembly - During our assembly, we had 3 prayers daily. The first prayer used to be a general prayer - mostly a filmy song, like "Hum ko man ki sakti dena". The second used to be a religion prayer. Every day a different religion. - Hindu, Muslim, Jain, Zohrastrian, Christian. And the 3rd used to be National Anthem.

Once we had a PT teacher who used to make boys "Murga" (holding ears by passing hands through the legs while squatting). He used to excuse us, girls with a warning. He used say i will make you "Murgi" and that was enough to deter us from any non-compliance.