1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Trustworthy!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Sep 4, 2015.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I got a call from one of my former managers last week while I was in a bus. The call was short and the message, shocking. "Did you see yesterday's Hindu paper? No? XXX passed away in US!", he said and asked me to convey the news to other friends. My world didn't spin and to my own disappointment, I was normal and resumed whatever I did before the call - continued reading the article precisely from where I left.

I reached home late and tried calling a friend. He picked it up on first ring and said, "XXX - right? I knew and thought of sharing with you! Thanks that someone else did!". Two other friends said the same thing. I felt like a sponge getting heavier, as it was gradually soaked in water. I recounted those early days in my first job when I reported to him, where I was just a shy and naive individual. Six of us were selected for doing a small project with a 30 day plan. I was to report to another manager for it and we all assembled there in XXX's room. As usual, I didn't see it coming, so was surprised when he started briefing how we were picked. None of us knew each other before and it had a lot of self learning upfront.

"We believe that you'll make it!", he said and smiled. We went back, dazed. Soon we realized that we had to figure out things for ourselves. It took us six long months to deliver that [thankfully, it was initially in-house] and after many a turbulent time, we were about to demonstrate our solution to the actual client. The previous night, after nailing a critical bug, we were upbeat, only to face a dire situation soon in the demo. Just for one particular user, the application behaved weirdly and we were totally clueless. The customer was professional, and asked us to show the next day, with a clear evidence of anger and hopelessness. That night I had my first night-out and was really lucky to figure out the root cause. XXX was there too with us the whole night giving us suggestions. After figuring out the issue, the fix was easy. I was all pumped up and announced him that we fixed it. He heard me out fully and said, "You fools! Don't you follow the coding standard?" and smiled. It was a jolt then, but gave an important lesson.

I started to like him more and more as the days went by and saw him as a straight forward man, believing others way too much. I got a chance to work in the next project and worked under him, that started a 4 year long association of frequent meetings, pouring my anguish, skipping deadlines, clients change of requirements, escalation etc. Not once have I seen him lose his cool. There was once a situation where I had a terrible call with a client and told him that I didn't want to continue too. As usual, he pacified me and asked me to leave early and smirked. Because, I was telling him just earlier that I should at least leave early one day. When I came back the next day, he sorted that issue out neat for me. I learnt my second important lesson that day.

Finally, when I quit that company, I consulted him with all the other offers that I had to choose the best among them. He didn't flinch, but suggested one, but didn't react either when I joined somewhere else. I had a chance to work for him again later on and thoroughly enjoyed the occasion. It was he who advised me to seek a better opportunity later on while taking me to a surprise treat. I used to talk to him every now and then initially but was soon out of touch. And when I came to know about his illness and hospitalization, I called him. He didn't pick that up but left a message that he would call back. I now feel like kicking myself for not calling him again. There are times when not just myself, but the entire team [70+] that worked for him stretched ourselves thinner for just one reason - we didn't fear failing ourselves, but were hellbent not to fail him. A great mentor that he is, he educated us by doing than saying. I shared my most personal issue only with him and till this day, remember his consoling words. Of the many blessings that I should count, he is the biggest.

Wherever you are now, Sir, I promise you again that I won't give up easily. I owe that to you!

5 people like this.

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

May his soul Rest in Peace. Sorry for your loss RGS.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,
    Sorry for the loss. I know how it is to lose somebody who was a mentor and guide and so close with you. May his soul rest in peace.
    Syamala

4. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

dear Mr. Srinivasan
    my heart felt sympathies to you I can relate to what you say. we all have someone somewhere who have held our finger and walked us through .we are what we are and where we our as somewhere somehow someone guided us. they may not have told us exactly what to do or how to do but some subbtle message certainly guides us and surely we would hold them in high esteem and will never fail them even if they are no loger there and only are in our thoughts .Thoughts and will can surely move mountains and over time you will learn yes it is our anubhav (experience ) that becomes a realization ( anubhuti ) and it is in silence we say all that is unsaid guess this is why globally we maintain a moment of silence in honour of the departed , so thoughts are in sync and communicate with a feeling of nothingness to engage in the vastness of the sublime. take care
    regards gita

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

So sorry for your loss sir. The teachings taught are always with you. He sure must have been a great mentor. May his soul RIP.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

What a tribute to someone who guided you at work! He must have been such an inspiration for you to recall all of his contributions for your well being. No doubts he won the hearts of many and fulfilled his life's mission. Let his soul rest in peace.

Viswa

7. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

Hear touching post RGS,may his soul RIP..

8. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your consolation VanithaSudhir. There are very few in each of our lives, who are always remembered other than parents and siblings. He is definitely one of those for me. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Syamala for your consolation. I always used to think that I can catch up with him anytime and freely used the liberty to meet him whenever I wanted. Now I am left with a question and an emptiness. -rgs

10. rgsrinivasan

Thanks GitaSharma for your consolation. He is definitely one of those whom I could have died for. Such a nice person that he is, he always knew what I needed and I sought him for any professional issue. If I am anything today, its because of him. Liked your feedback. Thanks again. -rgs