1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Untained Parent's Love

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The couple who were childless used to face unbearable backlash from the society in the earlier generations. Especially women were unfairly blamed for childlessness to protect the men being ridiculed. Social taboos were several including preventing those women from participating in the functions relating to the children, preventing them from holding the child and blessing them. The very same society that blamed the couple for childlessness didn’t encourage them to adopt children those days. But the scientific advancements introduced several solutions for disheartened couple to have children through various methods nowadays. While vast majority of them opt for such solutions, a handful of couples decide to adopt a child from an orphanage with a specific intend to raise them and enjoy the pleasure of parenting. The motive is not to give life to a child but to enjoy the parenthood.

One question that always comes up in such parenting is in the absence of credible gene information about the adopted children whether the parents would face unpredictable behavioral issues from such children making the parenting extremely difficult to comprehend. “Blood after all is thicker than water” is the saying to indicate one can easily understand the bloodline and predict the future of the children who are biologically born to the couple. Even in sports, personnel are recruited based on bloodline. The purpose of this post is to analyze the catastrophic affect that such unacceptable behavior (both verbal and body language) from the adults could cause in the growing up of the adopted children.

First of all, whether to have a child using the scientific advancements or adopt a child should be a matter left to be decided only by the couple after evaluating various pros and cons associated with such parenting. Once the couple makes the decision to adopt, they should stick by their decision and should be willing to face any insidious approach taken by the extended family members and never be gullible to such provocations. The adopted parents should do everything to protect those children from unnecessary mental agony. An innocent comment like whether the child resembles the mother or father could have significant impact on the child, if he or she is already aware of the adoption. The extended family members should neither praise the kind gesture of the adoptive parents in the presence of the child nor treat the child with special attention. Any appreciation of the child should flow naturally without communicating anything special.

Having said all the above, it would be meaningless to conclude this post without giving illustrations of what one of the adopted parents faced in real life. A couple after 4 years of marriage decided to adopt a child from an orphanage. They didn’t discuss the excruciating details of who had what health problems preventing them from having a biological child. They took permission from parents of both families and brought a male child into their life. Luckily, they lived far away from most relatives but on occasions brought the child with them to attend functions. Some relatives were asking questions such as, “Do you know who the real parents are and do they visit him?” to “Do you know his blood group?” to “Does he speak fluent Tamil?” to “What is his Gothram?” to “Is he in good health?”

What difference does it make whether the background of the child is known or unknown? Why is it any different than raising one’s own biological child? Will the parents not learn the blood group of a child? Why would the child not speak Tamil, if the parents speak Tamil? How does it matter what was his original Gowthram? Even if the child is sick, won’t the adopted parents give good medical care? Through this post, I would like to assure every adoptive parents that the child would emulate every value the adopted parents have and by promoting the skills of the child, the adopted parents can make the child extremely successful. He or she would also lead a healthy life without any doubts. Environment of love is a great motivator for the child to learn to enjoy and lead a happy life. The least others can do when they come across the adopted parents or children is to treat them like normal parents and carefully avoid questions that probe about their experience of adopting a child. Even if such questions were to be asked, ensure that it is not asked in the presence of the child. Those children are God’s gift to the humanity and the adopted parents are not doing a favor to the child and it is the child that gives an enormous amount of joy of parenting. The love doesn't get tainted whether a child is biological or not. As I have written many articles about adoption in the adoption section of IL, I am not repeating them here.

(This post is triggered by one of the ILites writing about one of her family members adopting a child)

11 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

My only question to people asking such questions would be to ask whether they tear open their own blood vessels and those of their biological children everyday to ensure that the blood and the genes are the same!

As for gothram ..... imagine, if a woman's gothram can be 'changed' after marriage, why not that of an adopted child? Our society chooses to look at every issue out of jaundiced eyes depending on their individual convenience, though how anyone adopting or otherwise has anything to do with them ..... beats me!

9 people like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

viswa sir,

I know of adopted kids in my circle. i know of people who never even let it out to people that they are adopted, while i know of others who keep on repeating the child looks and does like the parent..

adopt with a whole heart, not just because you need a kid. and once you adopt the child is more the child of your heart..cherish them, and not try to prove anything to anybody.

we have this child who is adopted and knows she is, but she is one of the most happiest teen, we know, because she is loved by all around her.

I believe that the rest of the behavior of the society takes cues from your behavior .

3 people like this.
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

let me tell u, i am very impressed with yr blog, and yr clear and lovely thoughts on adoption. i was mid forties when i erad about people adopting even when they had their own children, and it was too late for me to do the same, if i had known , i would have adopted earlier, again a girl , to be added to our two daughters.
    No i would not be doing a favor to anyone, but to ourself, the joy teh children bring to us, and i wanted to prove a point to the world that u can adopt even after having yr own, and the adopted is as good if not better than yr own child.

The peo[ple who criticize, i would never visit their functions again,a nd octracize them forever from my life, whosoever they may have been.

i am very touched Vishwa. i am all for adoption, instead of the other artificial means that people go thru.

Regards

kamal

3 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

You hit the bull's eye and such thoughts go through the adopted parents mind as well but most of the time, they spend good chunk of their time to ensure the child is comfortable in every aspect than to get involved in a debate with those people. Again, you are right on target as far as Gothram is concerned because if a woman's gowthram changes after marriage, why not children's? You won't believe if I say this.

I know a family that didn't even touch the adopted child right from young age until the child is grown up into a fine human being. If I have the right, I would examine both their brain and heart to find out what they are made out of. Sometimes, people intentionally appreciate the adopted parents about what a great heart they have in the presence of the adopted child and other times, they show from their actions that the adopted child is different. They question the complexion or even question the appearance of not resembling the parents.

But more than those things, what breaks my heart is when the adopted parents after adopting decides to hand over the child back to the orphanage before the end of 1 year temporary custody period because of the pressure from the family. Just imagin how the child would feel when that happens. I have noticed a few who did it indicating they made a mistake to begin with. It is a very costly mistake that rips the heart of a child.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Shanvy,

Thank you for your visit here. In general, most adopted parents prefer to keep it to themselves about the adoption to the extent possible unless it is absolutely essential to share that information. Of course, the immediate family members would know it anyway.

I couldn't agree more with your statement that one should adopt with a whole heart not just because one needs a child. There is no point in proving anything to anybody. They should neither be lenient to the child because the child is adopted nor put extra pressure. They have to treat the same way they treat a biological child and this is very important especially when people adopt the second child when they have the first biologically born child. Frankly, I have more respect for those who adopt the second child when they have biologically born first child.

If the parents are happy and express deep love, the adopted child is very happy. However, I am not sure whether the society takes cue from the behavior of the parents. But the parents can surround themselves with people who have clean conscience and love the child like any other child.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

excellent writing. My cousin has adopted a girl and we would definitely treat that girl as our family member. Her in laws are very nice people and her dh is very supportive and would not be a problem at all.

2 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

Thank you for your kind words. Knowing you very well now, I am sure that you would have fulfilled your wishes to adopt if you had the age and raised that child extremely well like your own two lovely daughters. As you said, joy of raising the child is a reward for the parents and it is not a favor to the child. Whether biological or not, the children always emulate the parents and their great values.

I agree with you that those who question the adoption should be kept away from the child and life. If one gets to spend a few months with a child that bond is unbreakable and people are mistaken when they think that such bond would arise only with a biological child. The mind has the potential to consider any child as one's own provided one loves the child with whole heart.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

Dear Vaidehi,

If the in-laws are supportive of such a decision, it makes the life a lot easier. If not, the parents may have to keep the child away during growing up phase to ensure the child is unaffected by any hostile body language or verbal communications. Most families are good but there are a few rare situations where such things happen.

Thank you for stepping in and sharing information about your cousin adopting a girl child.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I think the key is here.

If people understood that the parents too want to enjoy parenthood, it would be so much easier not to talk irrelevant things. Don't we want our loved ones to be happy? As you know in the US it is quite easy to see the adopted kids and parents and despite the dissimilarities no one makes a single comment. It is normal and natural part of life here. I am fortunate to know many kids and parents who have been adopted and who have adopted and it is never a matter of discussion. If anything I have only heard of kids speak with pride of the country they come from. In fact I have a friend who is adopting from India and is in the process of learning everything about India and Indian so that the child can stay connected to her/his roots.

The only time I have heard of an adopted child wanting to know who her parents were was when she turned 50 (yes, she was adopted 50 years ago), her physician asked a few questions on the ancestry solely for health reasons and that is when my friend went looking for her biological mom.

I do feel I have had a sheltered upbringing for I have aunts who were without children and it was never discussed in the family and if my observation was right everyone looked up to them for many other reasons and it was always like every one can make their own choices. In fact my grand mom is very progressive - well I think I need to write a separate snippet to talk about her :)

3 people like this.