1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I want to marry an Indian girl from a small town.......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by uncannybal, May 26, 2008.

1. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Without realising it I suddenly started laughing because it was the funniest story !

Hi my name is John and I am a divorce lawyer. We dont normally get a lot of Indian clients but things are changing. My new client Shankar is an example of how things are changing for Indians in the USA

Let me start from the begining. Shankar was a software Engineer working in Silicon Valley for the last 8 years. He was at the top of his game. He was vice President of one of the most successful startups in San Jose. He had just bought one of the swankiest houses in one of the poshest areas of town.

He dated only American girls. After all he had a mercedes and deserved nothing less. Dating a white girl was a status symbol among the Indians in San Jose. And he had as much status as was possible to have

When Shankar hit the ripe old age of 32, his girlfriend Steffie who he had been dating for the last year began to ask him if he was ready to settle down. But when it came time to commit he always dithered. Indian girl.... Indian girl..... his mind would whisper

'Look at these American girls. How loose they are. They come out with me and in three dates they allow me to sleep with them !

What will happen after marriage? How will I control them? What if one of her ex's comes back and she has an affair? She will run away with him and then fleece me in court for everything I own during the divorce

I see what happens on Court TV everyday. Look how vicious these american women are. We Indians are just easy meat for their evil eyes.

No no I will marry an Indian girl. An innocent Indian girl who will look after me and cook for me and wait for me to come back from work', he thought

So he decided to get married to an Indian girl. He went back home to Hyderabad. I want an innocent small town girl he told his parents. Not one of these fast city girls who know more about America than I do

When he saw Lavanya he knew she was the one.

She was a small town girl who had grown up in Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh. She had never been out of India. She looked so innocent that she probably had never even been out on a date! She would listen to his every command and clean and cook for him. He would teach her modern ways and she would worship him for taking her to the land of milk and honey

Shankar made his decision. He wanted to marry Lavanya

They were married in grand style. His father in law, Ganesh, who was a Zamindar sold his land to pay for the most lavish wedding in Kurnool. After all his son in law was an NRI earning 200k ! Ganesh was the talk of the town and all of Kurnool envied his luck

When Shankar and Lavanya left for the USA the Hyderabad airport was full of well wishers who had come from near and far to see the lucky bride leave for the great land.

'Oh God make my daughter also so lucky', was the most popular prayer that was sent to God from the all the mothers at the airport that day

The minute Lavanya reached the USA, she loved it. As the taxi stopped outside their house she looked up in awe.

This house cost me 1.3 milion dollars ! Shankar informed her proudly

She simply walked from room to room touching everything. My God what a lovely house ! And all mine !

Shankar however, almost immediately, found Lavanya was not everything he had thought she would be. She had no idea how to cook. She slept till 9 am. She had no interest in cleaning the house or washing the clothes.

'I dont know how to do all this', she sulked, when he asked her.

So Shankar had to do all the work after returning from the office

The thing that worried him the most, however, was her lack of interest in sex. Maybe she needs time, he thought.

Lavanya simply watched TV every day. She loved the game shows. So she watched TV and ate Pizza. All she seemed to do was watch TV, sleep and eat. And she was putting on weight

He missed Steffie. She was fun to talk to and he could take her advice on anything and everything

He could not talk to Lavanya. She simply agreed with every thing he said and went back to watching TV or reading some letters from her girlfriends in India. She called her friends more than her parents in India

He finally hired a cook. A spanish girl, Gabriella. He had to teach her cooking Indian food every evening. How to make sambhar, rice and curries. Lavanya simply watched TV or went shopping.

For someone from a small town Lavanya had learnt how to use the credit card and seemed to find the shops pretty easily. Most of the credit card bills were for stuff from Victoria's secret which she sent to her friends in India. 'The only stuff they dont get in India perhaps !', Shankar thought amusedly when he signed the bills

Suddenly he found Lavanya wearing short tops and revealing outfits. What was wrong with her? he wondered. This Victoris's secret thing is really getting to her head

When he noticed the Gabriella wearing expensive jewellery and Lavanya's clothes he decided something was wrong. He couldint concentrate at work. He decided to go home and have a talk with Lavanya. Maybe she was too naive and did not notice Gabriella stealing. Can never get good help these days !

He reached home and found clothes all over the living room. Lavanya was nowhere to be found. Gone shopping again? he wondered. Where the hell was Gabreilla, the maid? He went upstairs and found the bedroom door open. The sounds coming from the bedroom where unmistakable. He slowly opened the door and found Lavanya and Gabriella in bed doing what he and Lavanya never could do very well

Suddenly it was all clear to him. His small town girl was not so innocent after all. All those gifts to all those girls back in India ....

He ran to her cupboard and began to read her letters....

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hey Santosh,

That was again a very hilarious piece. You do manage to get us to giggle a lot , dont you?

Well I understand this one truly proves the proverb ,"Do not judge a book by its cover."

Poor Shankar all his hard earned money to be gifted to somebody whom he cant even consider his competition.How could he ever compete with this .:confused2: ?? Some DUMBO'S (I hope you got that)
    Well I sincerely hope he gets his Steffie back. What can i say"Dhane Dhane pe likha hain Khanewale ka naam". Gabriella took his Lavanya from right under his nose and to think that he got her there for some Sambhar!!Big Laugh

Good one Santosh as usual!!

Devika.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hi Santhosh,
    The post was very hillarious..Spending all money for a girl from small town and finally discovers .. all are not worth..Good one! Kepp them coming

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

After reading this article many proverbs went through my mind...I am going to list only two.
    All that glitters are not gold..
    Grass is greener on the other side...

Poor Shankar...

sriniketan

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Santosh,From where do u get these juicy stories from? You have any american Girl friends, or what ? HAHA

Regards.kamal

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Lesson learnt - not everyone is as innocent as they are thought to be. With some states in the US allowing same sex marriages, I think that day is not far when it will be allowed in India too.

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Santosh
    A very hilarous one...........wonderful story.
    I think Shankar got what he did before......village girls are smarter then metro girls now a days.
    Poor fellow hope he will get his Steffie back and be happy with her.....

8. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Very well written ... God has punished him for what he did before marraige ... He ditched steffie, Lavanya and himself too ... He was not truthful to either of them ... What else can I say about his failure in marriage ... Lack of communication :idontgetit: ...

Regards, Suni... :)

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  9. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Ha Ha...you reap what you sow!!

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Uncannybal!

You do it again :))

Thanks to Devika's nomination in FP, I got to read this from you. You are a riot...a laugh riot !

Yes, where do you get these 'uncanny' ideas from?!

Ha ha ha, Shankar deserved every bit of Lavanya...

This is something that more and more NRIs are realizing these days...Must not run to India for brides..esp the NRI guys! Distant hills are sure greener:)

L, Kamla