1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Newton, Krishna and Whatsapp

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

My teenage years were consumed by Newton, learning Newton’s law of this and Newton’s law of that. I was grateful to the dog that spilled a lighted candle on his works. Otherwise, I would have to learn more laws. My adult life is consumed by Krishna, learning his laws of living and trying to follow them. Knowingly or unknowingly, their laws drive us and here is how.

Nothing is worse in life than waking up in the morning from the comfort of the comforter. As per Newton’s first law of motion, I would like to stay in that state of inertia and never have any external force act on me forcing me to get up and work. But here Krishna comes in between, saying,

न हि कश्चित्क्षणमपि जातु तिष्ठत्यकर्मकृत्* ।
    कार्यते ह्यवशः कर्म सर्वः प्रकृतिजैर्गुणैः ॥

It is the prakruti (nature, swabhav, fitrat) of the living to do work and no living being can escape work even for a moment and has to do work according to their nature. Honoring Newton, Krishna creates an external force in my stomach to force me to wake up and go to the bathroom.

Fine, can’t escape from work, so we will do work. But here Newton comes back with the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] law,

“Expectation of desired result is directly proportional to the efforts involved in the work and the success of the work”

Fair enough. The harder we work and the more successful the work is, naturally, we should get what we deserve. But no, here Krishna comes in between saying,

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन ।
    मा कर्मफलहेतुर्भुर्मा ते संगोऽस्त्वकर्मणि ॥

The result of your works is not in your hands and nor you should work based on desired result and nor you should never relinquish doing work.

So, we can’t escape from work, we have to do the work and not have any expectation of the desired result from the work!! Tough, but that is the rule of the game and we have no option to play the game. So we go on playing the game. But here Newton comes in between with his 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] law.

“A force, of depression, which is proportional to the difference of the expectations of the desired results and the obtained result acts on the individual”

So if there is a greater delta between the desired result and obtained result, greater is the depression.

So how does one lead a life under such circumstances?

Here Newton and Krishna suggest the same solution.
    Newton in his 1[SUP]st[/SUP] law of motion puts the perpetual equilibrium state as either when the body is at rest (no work, inaction) or in constant motion (work, action) in absence of an external force (desire). So, if one does an action without desire, it is equivalent of not doing work and is not impacted by opposite force of depression.
    Krishna echoes the same point,

कर्मण्य कर्म यः पश्येदकर्मणि च कर्म यः ।
    स बुद्धिमान्मनुष्येषु स युक्तः कृत्स्नकर्मकृत्* ॥

A person who sees inaction in action and action in inaction is a wise man.
    So if an action is done without desire, the expectation of desired result will be nearly zero. Hence the depression from not getting the expected result will not happen.

So, how to get rid of desire?

Here Krishna gives principle of equilibrium,

योगस्थः कुरु कर्माणि संग त्यक्त्वा धनंजय ।
    सिद्धयसिद्धयोः समो भूत्वा समत्वं योग उच्यते ॥

Krishna suggests samatvam, equanimity in success and failures, happiness and sadness and handles them equally. Physics mentions that a body stays in state of equilibrium if two equal, but opposite force acts on the body. So the forces (happiness and sadness) are there and one needs to handle it in a way that it balances out and a person is not impacted.

So how does one achieve samatvam?

Whatsapp comes to help here. Here are my whatsapp messages

Good morning messages
    Motivational messages
    Jokes
    Sad news of someone I know
    Jokes
    Spiritual message
    Motivational message
    Some unbelievable stuff done by people
    Spiritual message
    Tragedy news
    Some good news in the family
    Jokes
    Etc….

So just in a matter of minutes, one goes through the feeling of happiness, sadness, motivational, spiritual etc. Just like a sequence of hot/cold therapy works on a frozen shoulder, this shock and awe therapy should make us reach a stage that no happiness can make us happy and no sadness can make us sad, leading us to the Samatvam state. In this samatvam state, desires will go away and we can perpetually do our work without being impacted by failures.

Not sure if all this makes sense, just some random thoughts.

sindmani, Shina, Kamla and 15 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha dear you write and no sense, how can it be, good write up I will come up with my fb later as Lord Krishna says go and do your work . Also Viswa will give you an awesome feedback

3. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

Akanksha, superb correlation between Bhagvat Gita & Science, with the added ingredient of Whatsapp messages. This article made my day. I need never explain anything ever again...I will just send this post to people (©Akanksha).

Brava!

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Just my 2 cents ....

Attached Files:

9 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,

HAHA. Hilarious to say the least. You have made a delicious khichdi of krishna newton and whats app, and of course our bheja(brain).

Well newtons first law of motion, well first thing in the morning i have to do my motion, loose or normal depends on what i ate the previous day .HAHA

You know, u know so much about sanskirt and krishna, i think u can make a place in the religious fraternity in india, and become a better Ma, than Radhe Maa, they say she is worth a 1000 crores, but u will over take that figure veyr soon, u have moer knowledge than her, and u are humorous too,

What say ? And if u need any assistance , i am there, adn we can rope in Vishwa too, and u know there is VHP , that is Vishwa hindu parishad, we can have the initials of the the three of us as
    VAK, vishwa, akansha, kamal, and call it Vishwa Ayog karma or something like that.

HAHA

Regards

kamal

5 people like this.
  6. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

damn good addons to the newton's laws of motion...thoroughly enjoyed.... nice post...

1 person likes this.
  7. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Hey Akanks, Isn’t sleeping necessarily a work? I think so it is..:roll:
    Let me prove…

:ideaAssuming sleep = Work, Let’s discuss the dynamics of sleep and its relativity to Newton’s laws

1) Your mind is at rest and will remain in rest unless disturbed by DH/children.
    Your disturbed mind continues to be in disturbed state until the (most expected/least unexpected) coaxing n cajoling by DH is done. :wink:
    This is called as law of mind inertia. :))))

2) The deeper the sleep, the greater the efforts and time to wake up a person. The likes of Dolby digital home surround sound effects or bathroom hand shower or garden hose pipes are the viable effort mechanisms needed.

3) For every attempt to tuck yourselves under the comforter there is an alarm snoozing under your pillow every 5 mins, equally disturbing your sleep.

As per my theory, sleep is directly proportional to efficiency of work.
    How ? The better you sleep, the more your wake up happily, the more happier you are, the better you could concentrate on our work and the better the concentration is higher the net productivity.
    Thus instead of coaching someone to work well, let’s tutor them to sleep well.

Hence I prove sleep (S) = Work done (WD)

Next time, when your heart asks for an extra nap, Think of Neetu’s law of sleep.:mrgreen:

Jokes apart, amazing post...simply loved it. :bowdown

If one thing I can add, you say the result of work is not in your hands, (Though I agree it’s not explicitly not under your control) but not to work based on desired result is something can’t be conformed in practical scenarios no?

Aren’t we in the age of result oriented performance or goal driven approach or target oriented strategies? We are constantly evaluating and bettering our outputs just to accomplish the set target. Management geeks emphasis on PDCA/OPDCA Model where we Observe-Plan-do-act-check continuously to evaluate and improve each and every time.
    Yet I agree 200% that modern management is derived from the ethical and spiritual frameworks of ancient Indian ethos.

8 people like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

In this result oriented age Krishna sounds obsolate. How can we work without keeping target in mind.? Inaction in action and action in inaction? You mean if I am lazy I am working? All this philosophy will make hair sprout on my bald head as it will make me lose the hair on my head if the field there has a rich crop.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@parineetha?

Btw, were you a science student? because science students can always prove anything for 5 marks.

1 person likes this.
  10. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

lolz..Not necessarily.

I don't prove anything for 5 marks, only centum always. :wink:

1 person likes this.