1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One of a Kind

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jul 29, 2015.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The loss of the People's President has been a really sad event for our country. A man who led by example, who showed people how a responsible person with commitment lives. He had clearly expressed a wish that no holiday should be declared on his demise, but that people should work an hour longer if they truly loved him.

He was a man who was above religion. He knew only one religion - that being humanity. Even the extreme skeptic would be proud of this country just by virtue of a citizen, a President like Dr. Abdul Kalam belonging to this country.

Just reflecting back on his life, one cannot but see the clear choices he made. They could not have been easy. He was committed to the cause of science and service to the nation. He did that with elan. He also made sure that he did not involve a family in the equation - what courage of conviction! He ensured that no one would have to bear the consequences of his wishes and ambitions.

Despite being in the seat of the President, he never forgot his commitment to the students of this country and continued unceasingly to inspire them to forge ahead. What better comment on his dedication than his being present and speaking at a function to students when he collapsed. He left this world when he was fit in body, mind and spirit. That kind of end comes only to truly blessed souls! He must also have been God's favourite child.

It is once in centuries that we come across people like Dr. APJ Kalam. I don't even wish to say "May his soul rest in peace" for that is a given. I can't even imagine otherwise. Today, like never before, we need the guidance of a person like him. May he shine like a beacon and keep guiding our people from wherever he is. We truly and really need a guardian angel.

There is not one person who would not claim to be inspired by Dr. APJ Kalam or to respect him. Isn't it extremely sad then, a sad comment on the hypocrisy in our country, when parents of a school child create a to-do about their son having to sing a hymn at the school assembly before he was gone even 24 hours.

Bengaluru: Forced to recite sloka, boy?s parents slam school | Deccan Chronicle

If this is the kind of intolerance inculcated by parents in their children, God help this country. Is this the kind of tribute to be paid to a man who practiced and advocated harmony?

7 people like this.

2. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

@Satchi Well Said. He was truly a "Guardian Angel". The understanding of the parents is pathetic and I pity the child. May the Guardian Angel continue to protect us.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Well said, and a wonderful tribute to a great man. He is an inspiration to all, and u dont see such good men very often.

Thanks for the wonderful tribute.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  4. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

Definitely he is role model for many of us.. we missed one more precious gem.

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Every word that you wrote about Dr.Kalam is true....absolutely. Let us do our might to fulfill his dreams. A great visionary.
    Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

One of the directors of C-DAC, a premier R & D organization I worked for earlier, used to work in DRDO with Dr. Abdul Kalam. He has nothing but praise for Dr.Abdul Kalam's dedication and hard work. It seems he never failed to inspire the young scientists throughout his career and he personally never gave up on any mission.

I also heard so much about he conducted his life in the Rashtrapathi Bhavan. He moved in with two suitcases and he left also with two suitcases. He left all his gifts behind in the Rashtrapathi Bhavan itself. He was a very principled man. His description of how he was motivated to watch how the birds fly in his fifth grade by his school teacher was fabulous. It looks like he takes every single event in his life very seriously. That motivation only triggered him to join aeronautic engineering in MIT, Chennai and later work for missile technology development.

I feel very thrilled that I had an opportunity to meet him in the US when he visited our town last year. He is a very noble soul and his affection for the students and children knew no boundaries.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful tribute. Dr.Kalam is a wonderful human being. Salute to his greatness, his passion in science, his visions and he would live in our hearts and keep inspiring the students to Dream that would never let them sleep. Blessed to have lived during his times and Return If Possible Dr.Kalam. Humblest salutation to the greatest man of our times.

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Religion was no barrier for this noble soul and truly he was the peoples' president. People from all walks of life loved him and were saddened when they heard of his sudden demise.

PS

1 person likes this.
  9. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

dear Satchi
    I have met him more than once,infact the first time I met him was when we were contemplating to start Shantha biotech .
    Mr Varaprasad Reddy an electronics engineer had approached me and I was a typical academician with little intent if any to switch to Industry and least of all to join hands with an electronics engineer who knew nothing about genetic engineering or for that matter about vaccines. It was then mr.Reddy had arranged for us to meet.He said my dear young lady every thing has to have a beginning, if you are confident of your science and your commitment to learn and work hard ,you should go ahead if someone in US can do it and if you could have done such and such in US you definitely should do here in India bless you .
    His whole talk with me for half a day made Shantha Biotech areality today .The first Indian biotech company ,it enabled me to give India the first recombinant DNA vaccine technology and after that more products .But the thrill of enabling the first remains .In more than one ways he swayed my future ,from anonymity to cognoscence it gave Varaprasad a Padma award it made our work one of as India 's 11 breakthrough innovations .we all owe it to him.we never realise how a small advice had put the ball in motion our success indeed has enabled more biotech Industries and today we have become self sufficient in many healthcare products and infact from a whooping 3500/- per shot of the vaccine today it is available for Rs 30/- and huge quantities are given to WHO at a even lesser cot to supply to the developing countries.It surely was his vision fulfilled.
    his vision was not just for ISRO but for every walk in life .Blessed are we who have been kindled by him and hope we continue to fulfill his dreams.
    another very close friend of mine from childhood Geeta Vardan former director ADRIN at ISRO has worked with him very closely and has shared so many motivating talks of his.
    there are more of my friends who have been close to him simply because we were all some where connected to Science & its progress in India
    We would really miss him and his motivations .But yes we all have our promises to keep with him and miles to go before I/we sleep.
    Peace be to the great soul.

1 person likes this.
  10. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Excellent write up, Swati

1 person likes this.